Strange sum (riddle tread)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2011, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2011 11:16 AM by Observer.)
Wink Strange sum (riddle tread)
Imaginary scenario.

Three women all live in the same house........their television breaks and they all agree to contribute to buying a new one.

They go to a televsion shop and find a new set.....it costs £300......well within the budget of the three women.

They approach the shop assistant and ask if the price can be negotiated....to which he replies.

"I can give you a discount......but only If I gain something from it myself"

Perplexed the women ask to hear his terms.....

"I will take £50 off the price.........out of which I will keep £20 and the rest of the savings go to you three"

So the women agree and they hand him £300............he pockets £20 and returns £30 to the women which they then split amongst themselves.

This is all good until you add up the sums..........(mischevious smile goes across my face)

Each woman paid £90 towards the television......with the assistant pocketing £20.........add them all together and what do you get???

£90 x 3 + £20 =

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2011, 04:56 AM

RE: Strange sum
(08-09-2011 03:55 AM)bemore Wrote:  .add them all together and what do you get???

£90 x 3 + £20 =

This is silly, bemore... Tongue

The transaction you described is equivalent to the 3 women buying a TV set for $270 ($90 each) - out of which $250 goes to the store and $20 goes to the manager.

No mystery here, but I have to admit, it is cute!
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2011, 05:29 AM

This is silly, bemore... Tongue

The transaction you described is equivalent to the 3 women buying a TV set for $270 ($90 each) - out of which $250 goes to the store and $20 goes to the manager.

No mystery here, but I have to admit, it is cute!

[/quote]

Ha ha..........but can you explain why when you add up £90+£90+£90 (what the women ended up paying) plus the £20 that the assistant kept.......why It only adds up to £290???

Where has the missing £10 gone..........Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-09-2011, 05:39 AM

That is simple too, bemore: You mischievously added the $20 to the $270, instead of subtracting it to get the $250, as you should have. The $20 came OUT of the $270 (and into the manager's pocket).
08-09-2011, 08:48 AM
An oldy but a goody...

I knew it when the story was about 3 men in a bar each getting charged € 10 but giving a tip to the waiter.

Anyways... It's the first time I've see it explained so clearly.

Jokes like these remind you that not everything that seems logic is in fact correct. Think about this joke next time you hear a yec or other pseudo-scientist babble

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
08-09-2011, 09:46 AM

The trick in jokes like this is misdirection.

The $300 price was introduced right at the beginning, firmly fixing it in your mind.

However, when the actual transaction was made, it had nothing to do with the $300 any more. As far as the women were concerned, they bought it for $270. As far as the manager is concerned, he sold it for $250 and got a $20 bribe for dropping the price.

Nothing needs to add up to $300 any more.
Since we are into brain teasers, consider the following:

A fly and an express train move toward each other. The train’s speed is 100 mph, the fly’s speed is 10mph. When they collide, the fly’s speed has to drop from 10 mph to zero, before it starts accelerating backwards. In that billionth of second, the fly’s speed was zero, and since it was in contact with the train, the train’s speed also had to be zero for a billionth of a second. Correct?
08-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Looks like im going to have to get up early in the morning to catch you guys out Big Grin

I tried dividing the speed of the train......by a billion to see what I get.......It wasnt what I expected???

Hmmmmmmmm....gonna mull on this one further I think Big Grin

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-09-2011, 11:25 AM
(08-09-2011 09:46 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  Since we are into brain teasers, consider the following:

A fly and an express train move toward each other. The train’s speed is 100 mph, the fly’s speed is 10mph. When they collide, the fly’s speed has to drop from 10 mph to zero, before it starts accelerating backwards. In that billionth of second, the fly’s speed was zero, and since it was in contact with the train, the train’s speed also had to be zero for a billionth of a second. Correct?
No...
The train never changes direction... It DOES however slow down a bit but that's unmeasurable small.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
08-09-2011, 12:00 PM

(08-09-2011 11:25 AM)The_observer Wrote:  No...
The train never changes direction... It DOES however slow down a bit but that's unmeasurable small.

This is part of the answer but there is more to it than that... Big Grin
08-09-2011, 01:13 PM
The train also has a lot more mass Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist