Strange sum (riddle tread)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2012, 07:36 AM
RE: Strange sum (riddle tread)
Here's a puzzle:

How do distribute 6 cubes of sugar into 3 teacups such that each teacup contains at least one cube of sugar, and each cup has an odd number of sugar cubes?

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2012, 07:44 AM
(13-02-2012 07:36 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Here's a puzzle:

How do distribute 6 cubes of sugar into 3 teacups such that each teacup contains at least one cube of sugar, and each cup has an odd number of sugar cubes?

Eat 3 sugar cubes and then place 1 of the remaining 3 in each teacup? Put one in each teacup with hot tea, drink the tea and then place 1 in each teacup? Or how about fusing 3 sets of 2 sugar cubes by getting them wet and then making them solidify again?

Better without God, and happier too.
13-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Do you consider 1.5 an odd number? Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
13-02-2012, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2012 08:17 AM by robotworld.)
(13-02-2012 07:52 AM)Zat Wrote:  Do you consider 1.5 an odd number? Tongue

No Tongue The sugar cubes must be whole Big Grin
(13-02-2012 07:44 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(13-02-2012 07:36 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Here's a puzzle:

Eat 3 sugar cubes and then place 1 of the remaining 3 in each teacup? Put one in each teacup with hot tea, drink the tea and then place 1 in each teacup? Or how about fusing 3 sets of 2 sugar cubes by getting them wet and then making them solidify again?

Interesting solution, but the cubes must be in pristine condition Big Grin Great attempt!

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
13-02-2012, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2012 08:26 AM by morondog.)
put one cube in each cup and crush the remaining ones so that they're not cubes when they are added to the cups?
redefine 2 as an odd number
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Am I allowed to put one teacup inside another teacup?

If so, let's call the teacups A, B and C. C is the big one.
Put 3 cubes in A, put 1 cube in B and 2 cubes in C. C will have an odd number when you put B inside C.

I don't care if I'm wrong, I'm happy just feeling smug that I can think outside of the teacup.
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Same as this OP:

3 guys need a hotel room. The rate is $30. They each pay 10 and head to the room. Later the manager realizes he overcharged the men by 5 dollars. He hands 5 ones to the bellhop to bring to them. Stumped as to how to divide 5 dollars between 3 men he decides to give them each 1 dollar and keep the other 2 for himself. Since each man gets 1 dollar back they effectively paid 9 dollars each for the room. 9 x 3 is 27. 27 plus the 2 the bellhop kept is 29. What happened the the last dollar?

I realize reading it might make it easier to solve and those who know the answer obviously won't have any trouble explaining it. But I've stumped dozens of people with this one. They always do the math wrong.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
13-02-2012, 01:20 PM
(13-02-2012 11:47 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Same as this OP:

3 guys need a hotel room. The rate is $30. They each pay 10 and head to the room. Later the manager realizes he overcharged the men by 5 dollars. He hands 5 ones to the bellhop to bring to them. Stumped as to how to divide 5 dollars between 3 men he decides to give them each 1 dollar and keep the other 2 for himself. Since each man gets 1 dollar back they effectively paid 9 dollars each for the room. 9 x 3 is 27. 27 plus the 2 the bellhop kept is 29. What happened the the last dollar?

I realize reading it might make it easier to solve and those who know the answer obviously won't have any trouble explaining it. But I've stumped dozens of people with this one. They always do the math wrong.

Being new to this thread, I have been reading it from the start and I think this was posed earlier in the form of 3 ladies buying a TV
13-02-2012, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2012 01:52 PM by kim.)

Well... each man was only supposed to pay 8.~4 x 3 = 25 actual cost of room + 3 = 28 + the 2 the bell hop took = 30.
Does that solve it?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-02-2012, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2012 02:15 PM by germanyt.)
(13-02-2012 01:20 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Being new to this thread, I have been reading it from the start and I think this was posed earlier in the form of 3 ladies buying a TV

I didn't read it. Just the OP and then hit reply.
(13-02-2012 01:45 PM)kim Wrote:  

Well... each man was only supposed to pay 8.~4 x 3 = 25 actual cost of room + 3 = 28 + the 2 the bell hop took = 30.
Does that solve it?

Exactly. I get people saying things like, "the bellhop stole it".

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain