Strange sum (riddle tread)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2011, 08:17 PM
RE: Strange sum (riddle tread)
(13-09-2011 03:55 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(13-09-2011 03:39 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Aladair would be presented with two identical sealed envelopes and told that one contained the word "Marriage" and the other "Banishment"; that he must choose his fate. Just as the prime minister was saying, "Only, i shall write Banishment on both papers." Aladair happened to pass under the window and overhear.
"Aha," he said to himself, I can out-trick these nasty old men."

How did he do it?

That's easy, Peterkin.

He is standing there with the king and the prime minister and the princess and he is given 2 envelops with the instruction: "choose one"!

... upon which he grabs the hand of the princess and shouts: "I choose her!" -- and runs like hell!

Big Grin

Later Leroy! I'm outta here. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Should there be a separate thread for answers?
Yes, i think so. I'll go do it.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
14-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Here's a riddle challenge known as the Tim Tang Test - a series of insane puzzles. Have fun! This requires knowledge from all areas!

http://www.timtang.com/ttt/

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
14-09-2011, 11:25 AM
(13-09-2011 03:55 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(13-09-2011 03:39 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Aladair would be presented with two identical sealed envelopes and told that one contained the word "Marriage" and the other "Banishment"; that he must choose his fate. Just as the prime minister was saying, "Only, i shall write Banishment on both papers." Aladair happened to pass under the window and overhear.
"Aha," he said to himself, I can out-trick these nasty old men."

How did he do it?

That's easy, Peterkin.

He is standing there with the king and the prime minister and the princess and he is given 2 envelops with the instruction: "choose one"!

... upon which he grabs the hand of the princess and shouts: "I choose her!" -- and runs like hell!

Big Grin

And then they would chase him and execute him for attempted kidnapping when the caught him. Sad

There is another solution that wouldn't be so dangerous. He would choose an envelope and then tear it up without opening it. He would then point out that they could find out which one he chose by simply opening the other envelope and reading the message in it. The king would be faced with the choice of allowing him to marry the princess or admitting that his test was dishonest.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2011, 11:32 AM

(14-09-2011 11:25 AM)theophilus Wrote:  And then they would chase him and execute him for attempted kidnapping when the caught him. Sad

He was a lot smarter than that -- he had his magic carpet parked right outside the room, ready to let them ascend, before they could be caught.

Heart
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2011, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2011 07:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-09-2011 11:25 AM)theophilus Wrote:  And then they would chase him and execute him for attempted kidnapping when the caught him. Sad

It's been 25 years and they ain't caught up to me and my Princess yet. Pretty sure they stopped chasing us decades ago. Wink

(14-09-2011 11:25 AM)theophilus Wrote:  There is another solution that wouldn't be so dangerous. He would choose an envelope and then tear it up without opening it. He would then point out that they could find out which one he chose by simply opening the other envelope and reading the message in it. The king would be faced with the choice of allowing him to marry the princess or admitting that his test was dishonest.

Nice. You might be superstitious theophile, but you most certainly are not a dullard. (Note that I'm presuming you didn't read the answer first in http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...le-answers cause that would be just well, you know, wrong). I for one greatly appreciate your presence (well, virtual presence) here.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
22-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Time to revive this thread.

I mentioned in the Numerology thread, that Pythagoras had one of his students put to death for coming up with a proof for irrational numbers.

For non-math-geeks: irrational numbers are those that can not be expressed as the quotient of two integers, e.g 3/4 or 123579/96462.

There are an infinite number of them (more infinite than the rational numbers), but there is a beautiful and very short logical proof why they must exist.

This is what Pythagoras's student was killed for.

Does anyone know that proof?

Hint: the example used in the proof was the square root of 2.
22-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Does it involve the Pythagoras Theorem?
There is one way (root 2) can be obtained.

Let's have a triangle of two sides of 1 unit, right angles to each other. Using the Pythagoras Theorem, the long side of the triangle is (root 2).

In order for (root 2) to be a rational number, it has to be expressed in the form of (x/y), where both x and y are integers. Technically, if we simplify the fraction to its most simplified form, we get...
1) x and y are both odd
2) x and y, one is odd, the other even

Maybe the student proved that the fraction does not fit the above two criteria, such as even-even?

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
22-09-2011, 08:09 PM

robotworld, you are on the right track.

I posted the solution in the "strange sum - riddle answers" thread.

Smile
26-01-2012, 09:49 AM
robotworld said he missed my puzzles.

Here is one, just for him:

solve the following equation:

|x+2| +|x-3| = 2

Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post