Poll: Would you eat Vegan Longpig?
Yes Clap
No Rainbow Vomit
You're Insane Banana_zorro
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Strangest Vegan Meal Ever

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Strangest Vegan Meal Ever
Animal tissue culture has been around for some time now but it is rapidly approaching the point where it will be on par with meat hewn from a living creature and producable on a commercial scale. The nutrients are all available from plant, microbe and petrochemical sources, which will mean that, from an ethical standpoint, it will be no worse than crunching a carrot. The stuff hath no nerve cells so it's actually less capable of suffering than a plant.

Soon Betsy the cow, Dolly the sheep and Charlotte the pig will lead an idyllic life on a farm somewhere, painlessly donating a few cells every week to supply you with your vat-grown veal, hydroponic pork and cloned lambchops.

Now I can hear PETA shrieking already, so let's take this to its logical conclusion and whip up a batch of the ultimate vegan carnivore delicacy.

Vegan Longpig

With one quick, painless epithelial swab you could easily mix up a batch of, well, You! Unlike most recipes for longpig nobody has to die for this, you don't have to worry about catching diseases that you don't aready have (so long as you keep your vats clean) and it's guaranteed to be nutritionally complete! It should be a fascinating ethical dilemna for the ethical vegivores and I can't wait to write the cookbook.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2016, 06:26 PM
RE: Strangest Vegan Meal Ever
Interesting! I don't eat meat because I love animals, because I adhere to yogic principles that I have incorporated into my life, and because I don't care for the taste of meat. I've been a vegan for awhile, prior to that I was a vegetarian, and prior to that a pescatarian, and prior to that, I was a meat eater. But even as a meat eater, I didn't consume a ton of meat products. I also don't eat a ton of fake meats--besides an occasional veggie burger here and there. So for me, it would be a total taste issue and I would not eat it.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
10-11-2016, 06:41 PM
I occasionally use meat-substitute products but they are mixed in to recipes and usually very seasoned. I simply don't like the taste of meat and never have.
10-11-2016, 07:08 PM
I'm exactly the opposite. I can eat vegetarian dishes and enjoy well-prepared ones but I miss the flavour of meat. There's something about it that the meat-substitutes are typically lacking.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
10-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Nope, and unless you can get the bone-in for those lamb chops, I won't be eating your Soylent Green, either. Tongue
10-11-2016, 07:38 PM
I'm already eating myself. Dead skin cells are flaking off all the time into my mouth. Free meal, woo!

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
10-11-2016, 07:41 PM
(10-11-2016 07:38 PM)cactus Wrote:  I'm already eating myself. Dead skin cells are flaking off all the time into my mouth. Free meal, woo!

Ew Laugh out load

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
10-11-2016, 07:58 PM
There was a veg*n phở restaurant I used to go to in Vegas that was so into the details that they'd make faux tripe (basically strips of stomach often included in the slightly less westernized options on the menu).

It was good, but probably a bit overkill for most actual vegans going to the restaurant.

'Murican Canadian
10-11-2016, 08:01 PM
(10-11-2016 07:58 PM)yakherder Wrote:  There was a veg*n phở restaurant I used to go to in Vegas that was so into the details that they'd make faux tripe (basically strips of stomach often included in the slightly less westernized options on the menu).

It was good, but probably a bit overkill for most actual vegans going to the restaurant.

Yeah, I'd take a pass on that one No

10-11-2016, 08:01 PM
But in answer to the topic, I'll try anything once if it's relatively legal or I'm in a situation (survival) where the practical benefits outweigh the consequences. So veggie(ish) human? Sure, why not. Then I can say something clever like "Holy shit, I taste like chicken."

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post