Strangest held belief other than religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2013, 05:09 PM
RE: Strangest held belief other than religion.
(18-03-2013 05:07 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  
(18-03-2013 03:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  If there ever was a group of superstitious people its basebal players. I played baseball in high school and you couldn't step on a line, or you had to swing the bat in warmup exactly X many times, or your socks had to be pulled up to the exact same place and on and on.

Nowdays I step on any and all lines, pick the number 13 whenever its available, my phone number ends with 666 and simply dare the heavens to fuck with me. So far so good Cool
Just out of curiosity does the act of chewing tobacco have a superstitious reason or just a picked up habit?

Probably just habit, kinda like when they scratch their balls Consider

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2013, 05:15 PM
(18-03-2013 06:13 AM)Humakt Wrote:  That we can know "Truth"

hehehehe ... easy enough to define, though, ... and in so many different ways ... hehehehe

I spent a bit of my youth dabbling in shamanism after reading Carlos Castaneda's shit. Still got the big ass grizzly bear spirit guide to prove it. But I only did it for the badass sacraments they got. Still am willing to occasionally bop around between various religions if they got badass sacraments. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-03-2013, 05:37 PM
(18-03-2013 05:02 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  This is a subject that I want to go into but not on this thread since the point was just to talk about whatever ideas that you considered strange or wrong. I'd be happy to talk about this somewhere else. I might make another thread or if you want you can and we can talk about the future of humanity there. Ok. Thumbsup
I'd love to, but that'd be even more sinning against my Bachelor's thesis and other papers that I have to write. I just wrote about 2nd/4 of it over the extended weekend so I had a little leeway on the forum.

By the way, what Jeffasaurus decides is a very common thing. Almost everyone does it, the little mental games we play with ourselves, with a dash of obsession. Some more than others.
I saw just the right video, someone took the pains to put the games into a real life video, all the little imaginary games. in pixelated graphics. I can't find it now...

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
18-03-2013, 05:56 PM
I used to think that Pokemon were real for a period of about 2 or 3 months and I would talk to them all the time (they were invisible and couldn't talk back, I just assumed they were shy).

I reflect back on such times and ponder where my innocence has gone...

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
18-03-2013, 07:24 PM
(18-03-2013 04:50 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  When I was in early grade school, there was a period of time when everything I did had to have a balance or be even. If I spun around clockwise, I would then have to "unwind" by turning the other way the same number of times. If I bumped my elbow on the wall, I would have to do it a second time.

Yup, I know that feeling.
Unchecked, it becomes OCD.

(18-03-2013 04:50 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  If I crossed the street, I would have to return before any vehicles crossed my invisible tether.

I haven't googled it but I believe that this belief is now known as String Theory.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Dude, for the love all that is Gwyneth Paltrow!
Please stop text-walling.

I love what you write. There is always poetry in your words.

I can't digest it all at this time in the morning... my eyes haven't remembered how to open properly yet.

(18-03-2013 03:20 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I am a gardener in a park of ideas.

Sometimes
experience makes me plant something new,
sometimes
I root out something,
but
most of the time
I just let things grow on me.

I don't have the tools yet to reap the fruits,
I only watch out for weeds and poisons.
I spend a lot of time in this park and it inspires me

So when you talk to me,
you don't talk to someone who is decidedly for or against a particular thing,
... a believer or a skeptic.
You talk to someone, who
believes most things are true, good and useful if they stay in their place, time and context.

Finding the right place for things
so that they don't clash
(or do, in an interesting way)...
This is the art of gardening.

^^^ See? Poem.

btw, is not the definition of a weed, merely, a plant that is growing in the wrong place?

What word would we use for an 'idea' that is growing in the wrong place?

Apologies, my friend, I'm in a grumpy mood. Been awake an hour and haven't had sex yet.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
20-03-2013, 07:40 PM
I used to think I should be a little careful with the microwave (it's a modern one), in that I figured it beams like, some sort of weird irritation stuff that would like, I guess float around it and mess me up if I touched it. I would wait a few seconds after the microwave was done, then open the microwave up and step back and wait for it all to, blow away I guess, I don't know.
I eventually learned microwaves are just like light and travel the speed of light, so the microwaves would disappear instantly when it was done.

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
[+] 2 users Like Chase's post
20-03-2013, 07:59 PM

I used to believe that if you could jump high enough you could land on a cloud and stay there. 'Course that came from me looking at marshmellows and cotton balls and then looking at the sky, and what did I see on a cloudy day? A helluvallotta marshmellows and cottonballs.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes That Icelandic's post
20-03-2013, 09:49 PM
At one time I was quite determined to believe in reincarnation. Read a lot about it and really tried to buy into it, but just couldn't get there. I suppose the less I believed in the Church the more I thought I had to believe in something kind of mystical. I got over it though.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-03-2013, 02:26 PM
(20-03-2013 09:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  At one time I was quite determined to believe in reincarnation. Read a lot about it and really tried to buy into it, but just couldn't get there. I suppose the less I believed in the Church the more I thought I had to believe in something kind of mystical. I got over it though.
Have you tried Dr. Ian Stevenson ? He did a decent research on reincarnation accounts. But then, it wouldn't be belief if you get convinced by science.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!