Strangest held belief other than religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2013, 02:30 PM
RE: Strangest held belief other than religion.
I used to think that your life was a series of deaths and re-births. What I mean is that as you get older, the kid dies and gives way to the teenager and then the teenager dies and gives way to the adult and then the adult dies and gives way to the senior citizen. I don't mean the body dies, just that at some point, the new ego (if you will) takes over and the old one goes into nonexistence. My rationale was that I could remember my life so well, but older people couldn't remember long stretches of their early life. I could only justify this as "they don't remember, because it wasn't them!"

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
21-03-2013, 02:42 PM
(18-03-2013 05:07 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  
(18-03-2013 03:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  If there ever was a group of superstitious people its basebal players. I played baseball in high school and you couldn't step on a line, or you had to swing the bat in warmup exactly X many times, or your socks had to be pulled up to the exact same place and on and on.

Nowdays I step on any and all lines, pick the number 13 whenever its available, my phone number ends with 666 and simply dare the heavens to fuck with me. So far so good Cool
Just out of curiosity does the act of chewing tobacco have a superstitious reason or just a picked up habit?
I think it's the spitting. When my son played baseball I was buying sunflower seeds in bulk.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
21-03-2013, 02:45 PM
(21-03-2013 02:26 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(20-03-2013 09:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  At one time I was quite determined to believe in reincarnation. Read a lot about it and really tried to buy into it, but just couldn't get there. I suppose the less I believed in the Church the more I thought I had to believe in something kind of mystical. I got over it though.
Have you tried Dr. Ian Stevenson ? He did a decent research on reincarnation accounts. But then, it wouldn't be belief if you get convinced by science.
No, I haven't. That was years ago. I may have to take a look.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
21-03-2013, 04:59 PM
I used to believe that people were, in general, reasonable.

I know, crazy, huh? Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
21-03-2013, 05:09 PM
(21-03-2013 04:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  I used to believe that people were, in general, reasonable.

But I'm sure that a man of your acuity can recall what George Bernard Shaw said about the reasonable (and unreasonable) man.

Yes

21-03-2013, 05:23 PM
I think this new age, magnet, crystal, copper wire, wand has to be the most crazy thing I've seen.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
21-03-2013, 06:44 PM
(21-03-2013 05:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-03-2013 04:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  I used to believe that people were, in general, reasonable.

But I'm sure that a man of your acuity can recall what George Bernard Shaw said about the reasonable (and unreasonable) man.

Yes

Gwynnies for the motherfucking win. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-03-2013, 07:00 PM
That all our minds put together was god, basically that the big bang was when the whole mind split from it's perfect form into the universe.

That GMO in general was bad.

That Satan, then aliens, then spirit guides were in my room on a couple occasions... Sleep Paralysis is a bitch.

That if I say what I want without restraint I will get beat the shit out of Tongue (Still weary of what I say...)

New world order.

Astral projection, psychics, you name it.

I had some crazy beliefs. You all have no idea how good it feels to be rational... Well, then again most of you probably do Tongue

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 3 users Like Adenosis's post
21-03-2013, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2013 07:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-03-2013 07:00 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  That all our minds put together was god, basically that the big bang was when the whole mind split from it's perfect form into the universe.

That GMO in general was bad.

That Satan, then aliens, then spirit guides were in my room on a couple occasions... Sleep Paralysis is a bitch.

That if I say what I want without restraint I will get beat the shit out of Tongue (Still weary of what I say...)

New world order.

Astral projection, psychics, you name it.

I had some crazy beliefs. You all have no idea how good it feels to be rational... Well, then again most of you probably do Tongue

Dude, once you get rational, the irrational becomes even more intoxicating. ... The fuck else Ima gonna do on the weekend? Tongue

(21-03-2013 07:00 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  That all our minds put together was god, basically that the big bang was when the whole mind split from it's perfect form into the universe.

Don't think that thought is all that strange. ... Might take issue with the characterization as "perfect", but that's just quibbling.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-03-2013, 10:00 PM
(21-03-2013 02:26 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(20-03-2013 09:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  At one time I was quite determined to believe in reincarnation. Read a lot about it and really tried to buy into it, but just couldn't get there. I suppose the less I believed in the Church the more I thought I had to believe in something kind of mystical. I got over it though.
Have you tried Dr. Ian Stevenson ? He did a decent research on reincarnation accounts. But then, it wouldn't be belief if you get convinced by science.
I've wanted to get into this for a while. I think that this article shows how your conclusion is far less stable then I think you think.

Just an outsider looking inn.