Strangest held belief other than religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Strangest held belief other than religion.
I used to believe that if I saw a dog taking a shit I could stop him from doing it by staring at him (even without the dog seen me) and hooking both of my pinkies. Magick, pretty much.

Still, I haven't been able to disprove it... Works every time! Lol! ;)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2013, 03:15 PM
RE: Strangest held belief other than religion.
(24-03-2013 10:00 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  I've wanted to get into this for a while. I think that this article shows how your conclusion is far less stable then I think you think.
Yes, Stevenson provides some evidence in favor, but no conclusive evidence. I make my conclusion out of very many very weird and ongoing experiences and perceptions that have no obvious alternate explanation. I haven't observed reincarnation of course, what I observe is a possible mechanism for survival after death. I don't like to call that belief, more like a preliminary conclusion based on observation. I'm looking forward to performing the final conclusive observation myself, if that comes after many decades of busy life well into elderly age. No point in starting as an illiterate infant again so soon!
It doesn't convince other people, but I have yet to find out how much am I capable to grieve other people's deaths, including close relatives. Death kind of loses a part of its edge if I don't see it as an endgame. How much, I can't tell yet.

Find all posts by this user
27-03-2013, 06:48 PM
(27-03-2013 03:15 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Yes, Stevenson provides some evidence in favor, but no conclusive evidence. I make my conclusion out of very many very weird and ongoing experiences and perceptions that have no obvious alternate explanation. I haven't observed reincarnation of course, what I observe is a possible mechanism for survival after death. I don't like to call that belief, more like a preliminary conclusion based on observation. I'm looking forward to performing the final conclusive observation myself, if that comes after many decades of busy life well into elderly age. No point in starting as an illiterate infant again so soon!
It doesn't convince other people, but I have yet to find out how much am I capable to grieve other people's deaths, including close relatives. Death kind of loses a part of its edge if I don't see it as an endgame. How much, I can't tell yet.

Or no alternate explanation you like? Consider

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

28-03-2013, 02:44 AM
(27-03-2013 06:48 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  Or no alternate explanation you like? Consider
You've got to decide if I can weigh the explanatory power of various possibilities, because it's a lifelong process and I can't present that to you adequately. You better ask someone who knows me better or just look at my reputation. Some of my reps were gathered after these discussions.

06-04-2013, 02:20 PM
I think the weirdest belief I ever had (more of an idea, though) was that even though everyone can agree on what a color looks like, that color looks different to every person. Like if I were to crawl into your consciousness, the world would be all sorts of wrong-looking to me. Your red might be the color I recognize as yellow, but because everyone sees a color the same way throughout their life, nobody realizes that colors don't look anything alike for any two people.

Semper requiremus veritatis.
[+] 1 user Likes FrostyMan's post
06-04-2013, 02:28 PM
(27-03-2013 03:15 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I have yet to find out how much am I capable to grieve other people's deaths, including close relatives. Death kind of loses a part of its edge if I don't see it as an endgame. How much, I can't tell yet.

Ignoring everything else - grieving has nothing to do with what is happening to the departed at all. Grieving is a physical/brain issue of the surviviors - the (usually quite slow) adaptation to a world minus the departed. The more of your current, daily life the dead person took part in, the more you grieve. What happened to them after death has zero impact.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-04-2013, 02:34 PM
When i was very young, i used to think Labor Day was when pregnant women had babies.

:lol
[+] 1 user Likes lovelybones's post
06-04-2013, 02:41 PM
(06-04-2013 02:20 PM)FrostyMan Wrote:  I think the weirdest belief I ever had (more of an idea, though) was that even though everyone can agree on what a color looks like, that color looks different to every person. Like if I were to crawl into your consciousness, the world would be all sorts of wrong-looking to me. Your red might be the color I recognize as yellow, but because everyone sees a color the same way throughout their life, nobody realizes that colors don't look anything alike for any two people.

That is not weird, Frosty, the Color Problem is a well known philosophical topic. Thumbsup

Breathing - it's more art than science.
06-04-2013, 02:59 PM
(06-04-2013 02:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ignoring everything else - grieving has nothing to do with what is happening to the departed at all. Grieving is a physical/brain issue of the surviviors - the (usually quite slow) adaptation to a world minus the departed. The more of your current, daily life the dead person took part in, the more you grieve. What happened to them after death has zero impact.
I really don't know. I went through a big dose of grief, turned out my dad is an unfaithful and very unapologetic about that. The last thing I'd expect. I think death of one's trust in family (betrayal) may be worse than actual physical death, death is final, clean, not so messy. Not that I'd wish him dead, but I must wonder if that would be worse.
I suspect my brain is wired to consider deceased people simply "departed forever", not actually dead.

If so, that would give a rather unsettling insight into the mind of religious parents who'd rather see their children dead than gone atheistic or betraying the religious ideas by getting a life-saving blood transfusion, for example.

06-04-2013, 03:00 PM
My grandmother used to say when the hair on the back of your neck stood up, or you got a "chill" in that base of the skull region, it was because someone had just walked over the patch of land you'd eventually be buried under. Sometimes I couldn't sleep thinking about that!! At least I could jump on & bite the whatever lurking under the bed should he come for me, but that CHILL......chilled me :/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Favorite videos for a laugh at religion rampant.a.i. 7 165 Today 04:34 AM
Last Post: DemonicLemon
  Does religious belief inform politics? Adrianime 7 68 Yesterday 05:54 PM
Last Post: Reltzik
  Favourite pictures for a laugh at religion... Baron 2,047 231,800 21-07-2014 07:33 PM
Last Post: pablo628
  Pew Forum ... new religion stats ... Bucky Ball 7 122 18-07-2014 10:15 AM
Last Post: Minimalist
  [split] Favourite pictures for a laugh at religion... earmuffs 4 125 18-06-2014 02:43 PM
Last Post: CindysRain
  Religion in the 82nd Airborne ghostexorcist 1 93 12-05-2014 09:46 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  The strangest music video I've seen in a while ghostexorcist 1 65 22-04-2014 10:12 PM
Last Post: sporehux