Strangest thing you ever believed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Strangest thing you ever believed?
Might be a sensitive topic, but hey. I think it's actually pretty funny now that I look back, but when I was in my early/mid teens I fully believed the 6 day creation story, 6k year old earth, Evolution was ridiculous and impossible, etc etc. That's not the strange part (as crazy as I now know it is).

The crazy part? I actually believed that men had one fewer ribs than women. That's right, since according to the bible God took a rib from Adam to make Eve, Adam should be missing a rib (and somehow that translated to "all men are missing one rib"). I figured it out though when I took a biology course... (Christian school - evolution wasn't a part of the course...) Somehow I never thought to count my own ribs RolleyesTongue

Anyone else with a silly story?

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2011, 06:59 PM
RE: Strangest thing you ever believed?
Jesus

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
20-10-2011, 06:40 AM
We grow up in a society that hammers into you that ghosts and spirits are all "evil" and bad and to be feared.

Simply isnt the case though.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
20-10-2011, 07:59 AM
When i was very small, that the Virgin Mary would cry if i was naughty and that my grandmother would die if i behaved very badly. Both from same catholic grandmother, of course.
Catholic = everything is the fault of bad children!

In middle school, that the exploration of the Americas was a grand enterprise, and that the conversion of native peoples was a heroic undertaking by selfless European missionaries. To my credit, that belief didn't last the year of Grade 8.

In high-school, that capitalism is a viable basis for social organization.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
20-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Well the whole Santa Claus thing really takes the cake for me as far as outlandish myths go.

Old fat guy that's obsessed with children. Creepy little elf slaves scurrying around doing his bidding. Venison powered sky-sleigh......

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
20-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm with Stark on this one, Santa was as strange as it ever really got for me. It only lasted until I was maybe six too, so does it count?

Oh I guess I also used to believe that people who liked Dumb and Dumber were human... but no longer. Wink

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
20-10-2011, 11:16 AM
(20-10-2011 11:07 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I'm with Stark on this one, Santa was as strange as it ever really got for me. It only lasted until I was maybe six too, so does it count?

Oh I guess I also used to believe that people who liked Dumb and Dumber were human... but no longer. Wink

You watch your blasphemous mouth when talking about Dumb and Dumber.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
20-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Ouch man. Just ouch.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
20-10-2011, 01:27 PM
The strangest thing I ever believed.... I once believed I could reason with a person of faith.
Dodgy Masochistically, I keep trying to beat that brain dead horse.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-10-2011, 01:33 PM
To be a bit more serious, I once believed in reincarnation. This was during my transition phase between belief and non-belief when I was searching through other beliefs looking for alternative views on heaven and reincarnation had a certain appeal to it. Eventually I realized that I had traded an irrational belief in heaven/hell for reincarnation and abandoned that rather shortly after I adopted it.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post