Strangest thing you ever believed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2011, 02:15 PM
RE: Strangest thing you ever believed?
As a young, pimple-faced, braces & nerd glasses wearing teen, I believed Pamela Anderson would really like me if she just gave me a chance Tongue

Ooh, those were the days; an edition of Playboy could excite me back then Big Grin

Santa Claus is a good second, alongside the Easter bunny.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thammuz's post
20-10-2011, 07:19 PM
That homosexuals, liberals, atheists/secularists, Catholics, environmentalists, the ALCU, and abortionists would destroy "real America". "Real Americans" were heterosexual, republican, capitalist, and Mormon.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Glaucus's post
22-10-2011, 12:17 AM
I was an incredibly sheltered child. I never believed in any religion (and my dad even said to never listen to religious ministers because they could manipulate me into believing). I never really believed in a conspiracy theory, except maybe that the moon landing was a hoax, but that was years and years ago and I never really thought about it if I did. I might have believed in Santa when I was tiny, can't remember. Didn't seriously believe in easter bunny, tooth fairy or any other myths.
It was only when I found the joys of the internet and became a skeptic that I learned anything about this stuff.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes daemonowner's post
22-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Progressive Revelation - the belief that all religions are really just one religion and that the different prophets or "Manifestations of God" were sent at different times in history to "reveal" only as much as humans were able to cope with at any specific point in human history. I see now that it is just a way to try and "update" religion/ superstition for a more critical, yet still religious, society. It removed the necessity of "miracles" by stating that they were all symbolic and meant only to teach humans and were never meant to be taken seriously. The problem was that humans were too immature to accept this until recently. I used to believe a lot of crazy shite that seemed completely rational because it wasn't strictly of the Judeo-Christian tradition.

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. Cool
[+] 1 user Likes Saimmaq's post
22-10-2011, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2011 02:27 AM by angry_liberal.)
I used to believe I should try and convert non-Christians to Christianity. The really wierd bit was that all the non-Christians were happier nicer people than I was - and still are.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes angry_liberal's post
22-10-2011, 02:20 PM
The strangest thing I believed was that lightsabers blades' were entirely created by the force and only a Jedi could make the blade unleash.

I almost believed in aliens being what people thought were gods in the past... until I watched shows like Ancient Aliens and saw the ridiculous leaps those people make in twisting history and various locations into something supernatural/extraterrestrial..
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
24-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I don't know if it's strange (it sure was irrational),but I used to believe in astrology. I really believed that one's personality was determined by their sign; that horoscopes could come true; etc., etc. It didn't help that one of my close friends also believed the same things, 'cause I think that helped to reinforce my belief. Luckily for me, Carl Sagan dispelled that belief (with the help of my partner) Tongue

Oh, and I also believed in fortune cookies, mostly because one (that's right, just one) out of I can't remember how many, came true... Though I think it was ambiguous enough that I just interpreted it as coming true...

I also used to believe in good/bad luck... Man, I was a superstitious child! Though, oddly enough, despite some lack of critical thinking, I never believed in a god...

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
[+] 1 user Likes SecularStudent's post
24-10-2011, 10:20 PM
...Blush Speaking in tongues... there's a whole host of reasons why someone would fall into this. But yeah, I was there.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
25-10-2011, 06:25 AM
I used to believe that I housed some kind of super evil demonic entity and that he would escape if I became to enraged. Turns out that I don't have a demonic entity......just a bad case of split personnality.....which is just as bad.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
26-10-2011, 03:49 PM
hmmmm.. I cant think of anything at all. I dont even remember believing in good old Santa!

There is a danish (or maybe not only danish?) children tradition to put rice pudding in your attic for the elves/gnomes/santas helpers/whatever to eat in december. As far back as i remember I told my parents to cut the crap and stop putting dinner in the attic and removing it at night to try and convince me the elves ate itTongue Stupid indoctrinating parents!Big Grin