Street Epistimology in a Christian College

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2017, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2017 07:37 PM by goldenarm.)
Street Epistimology in a Christian College
Hello everyone. A while back I made a post about a Christian college I was considering attending. From the responses I got there were a lot of people against and and I have still been skeptical, but a while back I decided to go there because I will be playing basketball and I will almost be debt free.

I am an atheist( even anti-theist) and I have worried that I made the wrong choice at times, but somebody on a Reddit post told me to google " Street Epistemolgy" and I am really interested in it. I have considered using some of these tactics at the college maybe after a semester or even a year( once I establish a good first impression as a serious student). The reasons behind this are because I've already committed to this college so if I absolutely hate it I will switch schools eventually, and it's not too strict or too christianized like a bible school or Liberty University. They have some Christian based teachings, but there is no requirement to attend church. You can't have alcohol on campus or anything even if of age, but to be honest I would rather do that sort of stuff back home with trust worthy friends. I feel like I could just engage in conservation with some students or professors and still be able to be an activist of some sort even if at a Christian school.

Anyways do you all have any tips for me? Anything you disagree with? Etc.? Thanks

College:
http://www.alc.edu
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post
27-07-2017, 07:19 PM
RE: Street Epistimology in a Christian College
If they have a good academic reputation in the field you're going to study, or have good acceptance rates to grad or professional schools, I'd take the money and run.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-07-2017, 07:40 PM
(27-07-2017 07:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If they have a good academic reputation in the field you're going to study, or have good acceptance rates to grad or professional schools, I'd take the money and run.

Haha I will! It says 83% of graduates who apply to graduate or professional school get accepted.
27-07-2017, 08:27 PM
(27-07-2017 07:40 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Haha I will! It says 83% of graduates who apply to graduate or professional school get accepted.

Accepted...where? But you had me at "basketball." Sounds like a dream situation, college education on a hoops free ride.

27-07-2017, 08:41 PM
(27-07-2017 08:27 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(27-07-2017 07:40 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Haha I will! It says 83% of graduates who apply to graduate or professional school get accepted.

Accepted...where? But you had me at "basketball." Sounds like a dream situation, college education on a hoops free ride.

"The success rate of ALC graduates is outstanding. An average of more than 96% of our graduates are either employed or attending graduate school just six months after graduation. You’ll find Alice Lloyd graduates serving as business leaders, teachers, doctors, lawyers, ministers, and in many other professions throughout Appalachia."

My coach also told me of someone he knew getting job offers to be a math teacher in other states such as Tennessee as well(I'm considering becoming a teacher).

Also could you explain again what you meant about the basketball thing? Just want to clarify. Thank you!
27-07-2017, 08:53 PM
(27-07-2017 08:41 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  "The success rate of ALC graduates is outstanding. An average of more than 96% of our graduates are either employed or attending graduate school just six months after graduation. You’ll find Alice Lloyd graduates serving as business leaders, teachers, doctors, lawyers, ministers, and in many other professions throughout Appalachia."

My coach also told me of someone he knew getting job offers to be a math teacher in other states such as Tennessee as well(I'm considering becoming a teacher).

Also could you explain again what you meant about the basketball thing? Just want to clarify. Thank you!

My question depends on your aims...if this school is not opening doors to particular (secular) grad schools that you might be interested in then it may not be good for you. So if you are already thinking ahead to, say, University of Tennessee grad school (mind you this would be four years from now!) I would wonder if a degree from this school is respected there. But again this depends on your goals. A grad degree or a teaching degree from some other school that you can get into might fit your needs perfectly.

A Math teacher should travel fairly well, though I'm not familiar with your local economy and don't know how far you are willing to travel. Math teachers in general are in demand. A difficult profession to do well but an honorable one.

I assumed you had some form of basketball scholarship...? I may have misunderstood.

27-07-2017, 10:12 PM
(27-07-2017 08:53 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(27-07-2017 08:41 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  "The success rate of ALC graduates is outstanding. An average of more than 96% of our graduates are either employed or attending graduate school just six months after graduation. You’ll find Alice Lloyd graduates serving as business leaders, teachers, doctors, lawyers, ministers, and in many other professions throughout Appalachia."

My question depends on your aims...if this school is not opening doors to particular (secular) grad schools that you might be interested in then it may not be good for you. So if you are already thinking ahead to, say, University of Tennessee grad school (mind you this would be four years from now!) I would wonder if a degree from this school is respected there. But again this depends on your goals. A grad degree or a teaching degree from some other school that you can get into might fit your needs perfectly.

A Math teacher should travel fairly well, though I'm not familiar with your local economy and don't know how far you are willing to travel. Math teachers in general are in demand. A difficult profession to do well but an honorable one.

I assumed you had some form of basketball scholarship...? I may have misunderstood.

Not sure about out of state, but I know that if you go to a post graduate school at the University of Kentucky then you can have your own Apartment associated with Alice Lloyd or something like that. I don't remember the details and I could be wrong, but I know that from what I've been told if you stick with the school you will get some great benefits.

I have considered physical education, education in general, and pre physical therapy at this school.

Finally, yes I am getting a partial basketball scholarship you are correct!
28-07-2017, 09:52 PM
I am a graduate of two "Christian" colleges. One for my Associates Degree and another for my Bachelor's. In the bible belt. Both were "church affiliated" so by that definition I call them Christian colleges. Neither required me to attend any services or be of their faith. I never felt undue pressure and there were people of many faiths there. So I would say it depends on your definition of Christian College. Maybe try using search words of "(name of the college) + atheist" and see if anything comes up?

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
29-07-2017, 12:42 AM
In my opinion, as long as you're getting what you want/need out of going there, I wouldn't worry about it being Christian. As others have said, I'd research how well respected the qualifications are from that particular establishment.

There's no requirement for you to challenge any of the bullshit they shoehorn in, or to tackle any of the Christian students, unless you want to of course. I would highly advise against hassling random students into some sort of discussion, that's more likely to be counter-productive. But making some sort of general challenge or using any formal debate structures they have could prove interesting if that's your kind of thing. I also wouldn't go in with the expectation that you'll change anyone's mind, at least initially. You may, however, plant seeds of rationality/doubt which may grow into something in years to come.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
29-07-2017, 05:20 PM
(28-07-2017 09:52 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I am a graduate of two "Christian" colleges. One for my Associates Degree and another for my Bachelor's. In the bible belt. Both were "church affiliated" so by that definition I call them Christian colleges. Neither required me to attend any services or be of their faith. I never felt undue pressure and there were people of many faiths there. So I would say it depends on your definition of Christian College. Maybe try using search words of "(name of the college) + atheist" and see if anything comes up?

I have and nothing has came up, but from what I've been told and what the website says this college will be more like what you went to. So that's good! You have a point. Thanks!