Street Epistimology in a Christian College

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2017, 08:30 AM
RE: Street Epistimology in a Christian College
(30-07-2017 04:54 AM)julep Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 11:11 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Thank you so much! I appreciate the understanding and kindness.

As I said in the last response you all are right. I don't need to evangelize.

That is true what you said about losing my scholarship. Not worth it. I want to ask you, however, what I asked the last person regarding secular humanism and debates. Is debating with a willing Christian like Matt Dillahunty does the same thing? Also what about romp ting secular humanism? Would you say there is a difference in calling out religious "bullshit" that causes people harm and evangelizing atheism the same thing or different? Serious question and I'm wondering your opinion? ThanksSmile

Debating with a willing Christian is more of an intellectual than evangelical exercise, and it's fine with me. However, again, that might be something that could be risky while while you're on scholarship at a Christian college.

Regarding calling out religious bullshit that causes people harm, that's such a broad definition that it could encompass all religion. The objectionable assumption underlying all evangelism (religious, atheistic, dietary, etc.) is that the people who don't share one's views are either ignorant or morally defective, with no gray area in between. It can be difficult, when I'm passionate about something, to accept that a rational, ethical person can listen to my arguments, understand them, and still reject them. Yet this is often the case.

I don't intend to discourage you from discussing religious issues in college. That would require you to shut down your personality. It's wonderful to discuss ideas with your friends in order to get to a bigger understanding of them as people and of the ideas themselves, and to test your understanding of your own ideas as you share them. That's very different from trying to steer conversations in a direction where you can implant those "seeds of doubt." The latter becomes a sales pitch for your tribe.

I hope I've clarified a little. (maybe not)

Yes you have thanks! If it comes up that's different, but on the college campus I'm not going to make that a big deal. There will be a time and place for these discussions.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like goldenarm's post
30-07-2017, 11:55 AM
If your college turns out to have an ethics debate team, please consider joining it. I think it would feed your need on many levels. It is challenging and certainly has the potential of getting into the subject of morals/values of religious/atheist beliefs. Looks good on a resume' as well. I had the pleasure of being present in my alma mater's theatre a few months ago during such a debate. I was painting a set and they were debating. They were headed for a district (or maybe it was state) event the following day... I won't get into the subject; I'll just say it was one I wouldn't have expected in a small southern christian college. It was fascinating and engrossing enough that I had to repaint an area after they were done because my attention had shifted to them and not the design I was painting. And surely this would include opportunities for students to suggest topics, so....

In any case you have already won my respect here for showing that you have an open mind. Open to suggestions and to criticism. That will get you FAR in college and in life. Much further than any "fuck you, I'm right and you're an idiot" type responses that some people resort to here and elsewhere, when their beliefs and/or opinions are challenged. Something I have to remind myself around a particular relative is that when someone resorts to that style of behavior or raising their voice....that means their argument is falling apart and all they have left is cursing, shouting and a closed mind.

I look forward to hearing about your college years whenever you have time to send us updates!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
30-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Oh, and do know this... It is what it is. At a Christian college you can expect there to be prayers at every occasion or gathering. Every assembly, every athletic banquet, graduation, and even before you get off of the bus at an away game. And if your team does well and gets on TV, somebody on your team will give the credit to god for your hard-earned win. Decide now how much you are going to be bothered by this. Decide in advance what YOU will have to say if YOU are the one on TV (We worked hard, the coach did this, the coach did that, we had the better defense, etc.) and decide what kind of secular invocation you are going to give when it might wind up being "your turn" to offer that up on the bus before the game.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
30-07-2017, 09:25 PM
(30-07-2017 11:55 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  If your college turns out to have an ethics debate team, please consider joining it. I think it would feed your need on many levels. It is challenging and certainly has the potential of getting into the subject of morals/values of religious/atheist beliefs. Looks good on a resume' as well. I had the pleasure of being present in my alma mater's theatre a few months ago during such a debate. I was painting a set and they were debating. They were headed for a district (or maybe it was state) event the following day... I won't get into the subject; I'll just say it was one I wouldn't have expected in a small southern christian college. It was fascinating and engrossing enough that I had to repaint an area after they were done because my attention had shifted to them and not the design I was painting. And surely this would include opportunities for students to suggest topics, so....

In any case you have already won my respect here for showing that you have an open mind. Open to suggestions and to criticism. That will get you FAR in college and in life. Much further than any "fuck you, I'm right and you're an idiot" type responses that some people resort to here and elsewhere, when their beliefs and/or opinions are challenged. Something I have to remind myself around a particular relative is that when someone resorts to that style of behavior or raising their voice....that means their argument is falling apart and all they have left is cursing, shouting and a closed mind.

I look forward to hearing about your college years whenever you have time to send us updates!

Thank you so much! I will stay in touch with you all. I will see if they have an ethics debate team of some sort. I doubt it, but it's worth a try. I will take everything you and the others have said into consideration on my journey. It's been nice speaking with you all.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens