Strength in weakness, weakness in strength.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2012, 10:23 AM
RE: Strength in weakness, weakness in strength.
Here I kan talk about uncertainties, but IRL, Imma Allosaur. 'Cause I devour them all! Rawr! Big Grin

But like I posted elsewherez, when "god" is mentioned, it is from someone who has a context of knowing - and we all know they don't know jack. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2012, 10:30 AM
(19-05-2012 09:58 AM)whateverist Wrote:  So you seem to feel that epistemological concerns have no place outside the realm of philosophy.
Epistemological concerns are pretty much by default in the realm of philosophy. You do what you have to philosophically, making any assumptions need be, then take a empirical view from then on.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
19-05-2012, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2012 04:47 PM by Thomas.)
Socrates said that all he knew was that he knew nothing and neither do you.
Descartes solved the puzzle of the one thing that we could know and that is we do exist. If I did not exist who would be asking the question concerning my existence? It must be me doubting, so there must be a doubter. I think, therefore; I am. I still don't know that any of you exist though.

Existentialists fix this by taking the position that we must trust our senses, as we have no reason not to trust them. The senses tell us that the physical world is real. The idea that we are all brains in a vat hooked up to wires or living in the Matrix is irrational on its face and should be discarded. We also discard the existence of god, an afterlife, a spirit world, etc., because there is no evidence to support the belief.
We have to have a reason to believe to make any belief rational.

"Sounds possible" doesn't equal rational belief.
"Can't prove it's not true", doesn't equal rational belief.

If we are not going to base our thinking in rational terms we should just top thinking and accept anything as "possible" including the fact that the world could have been created by the Invisible Pink Unicorn as many like to suggest for sarcasm.
When reason is the founding principle there is no such thing as variants of degree of belief or non-belief. We can only argue if something is reasonable to believe true.

Testing Physical Evidence and trusting our senses is the only thing we have. Imagination is for thinking of things to try, test, evaluate, but not to end there and call it knowledge. This is "Pretense of Knowledge".

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
19-05-2012, 10:47 AM
(19-05-2012 10:30 AM)TrulyX Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 09:58 AM)whateverist Wrote:  So you seem to feel that epistemological concerns have no place outside the realm of philosophy.
Epistemological concerns are pretty much by default in the realm of philosophy. You do what you have to philosophically, making any assumptions need be, then take a empirical view from then on.
Well, I'm a naive philosopher - cause prophet kinda sux as a title - thus there ain't no "outside of philosophy." Tongue

19-05-2012, 10:50 AM
(19-05-2012 10:37 AM)Thomas Wrote:  Descartes solved the puzzle of the one thing that we would could know and that is that we do exist. If I did not exist who would be asking the question concerning my existence? It must be me doubting, so there must be a doubter. I think, therefore; I am. I still don't know that any of you exist though.

Simulation and chemical context ends the reign of solipsism in my book. That dang Gwyneth Paltrow shows up at my door... it's all over. Heart

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post