String theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2013, 12:47 AM
String theory
Yesterday I was having a conversation with my ex father in law and we were talking about cosmology and theoretical physics. Not long after saying his mind set leans more towards a young earth we started talking about string theory and how space has unique harmonics and he said "wouldn't it be something, just amazing, that when we finally discover the true origin of the universe, that the bible was correct in genesis when it said "in te beginning Gos spoke..." And that's what created the harmonics we observe now"

My face even 24 hours later is still red from my weapons grade face palm.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ReasonandScience's post
01-05-2013, 01:09 AM
RE: String theory
Well...

Prove him wrong!

Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
I know he is wrong it's just not my field of expertise and unlike theists I am willing to say I do not know enough about this to intellectually talk about it. I am studying evolutionary biology and theoretical physics isn't my realm though I find it immensely interesting and rea alot about it.
01-05-2013, 01:17 AM
OK. Don't string me along. From what you have read, can you please explain why it is has the grand title of 'theory'?

In ignorance,
DLJ

01-05-2013, 01:35 AM
Like I said I don't know enough About it to talk about it in depth. What I can say with confidence is: Think of a guitar string that has been tuned by stretching the string under tension across the guitar. Depending on how the string is plucked and how much tension is in the string, different musical notes will be created by the string.

Similarly in string theory, the elementary particles we observe in particle accelerators could be thought of as the "musical notes" or excitation modes of elementary strings.

I am still in the process of learning about it and I'm not even sure if what I said made sense... Possibly a physicist (or one with more knowledge than me) will read this and enlighten us both!
01-05-2013, 02:02 AM
Ask him where God came from.

Hardly the beginning if something was already there is it not?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
01-05-2013, 02:05 AM
He would say that god is outside of space and time because he created both. Either that or that god has always existed and never needed a creator. This is a conversation we have had a few times and I have asked him that question and he responded with both of those answers in 2 different conversations
01-05-2013, 02:06 AM
Oh Muffy, don't scare the NShockingb.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-05-2013, 02:46 AM
people here believe in string theory? Shocking

A fairy that collects teeth and puts money under pillows, now that is crazy but string theory, well that is science Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
01-05-2013, 02:50 AM
(01-05-2013 02:46 AM)I and I Wrote:  people here believe in string theory? Shocking

A fairy that collects teeth and puts money under pillows, now that is crazy but string theory, well that is science Drinking Beverage

I agree with you for the time being. These things need to be proven.

The LHC might be able to test for certain aspecst of string theory. If they are not there it will not look good for it.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/201...ouble.html

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post