Stroke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2015, 10:58 PM
RE: Stroke
That sucks man. I have no idea what I can do. I probably cannot do anything. However, if I can, even if it is nothing at all. I will be here.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2015, 11:20 PM
(08-03-2015 02:51 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Well, as far as I know, she can barely move, barely talk, and their is some bleeding in her brain.

My mom opted for a "DNR" just in case. Which, in my opinion, is the kindest option. If she does live through this, she will be placed in hospice care which my uncles insurance does not pay for.

Hug

It's never easy.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Hug So sorry.
09-03-2015, 04:35 AM
I'm so sorry A2. Can't say anything more than Hug

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
09-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Great improvement today. She can move her hands, and while her speech is still heavily slurred, it is way more comprehensible than that of yesterday. Things are looking good, but the question is what happens after? How will she recover?

These are questions that are plaguing me as I watched nurses (which I have an amazingly huge respect and admiration for) tend to her.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 7 users Like Atothetheist's post
09-03-2015, 03:01 PM
(09-03-2015 02:35 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Great improvement today. She can move her hands, and while her speech is still heavily slurred, it is way more comprehensible than that of yesterday. Things are looking good, but the question is what happens after? How will she recover?

These are questions that are plaguing me as I watched nurses (which I have an amazingly huge respect and admiration for) tend to her.

What happens ...? Sorry to be so vague but ... whatever happens, that is what happens... and that is what is dealt with for the moment. It's going to be a moment by moment thing for her ... and for you.

Her recovery will depend on, her age, the areas of the brain effected by the stroke, and the degree of damage done to the brain. All may not be lost. Many people who suffer stroke may continue to lead normal and fulfilling lives or there may be extreme impairment or anything in between.

Famously, while pregnant in 1965, actress Patricia Neal suffered three burst cerebral aneurysms, and was in a coma for three weeks. With intense, directed rehabilitation, she subsequently relearned to walk and talk all over again.

Everyone's different, A2. It's good you can be there for your grandma - she knows it and is probably relieved and a lot less fearful because of your presence.

Things will change for her ... and you.
Hang in there, young man. Hug

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-03-2015, 03:07 PM
(09-03-2015 03:01 PM)kim Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 02:35 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Great improvement today. She can move her hands, and while her speech is still heavily slurred, it is way more comprehensible than that of yesterday. Things are looking good, but the question is what happens after? How will she recover?

What happens ...? Sorry to be so vague but ... whatever happens, that is what happens... and that is what is dealt with for the moment. It's going to be a moment by moment thing for her ... and for you.

Her recovery will depend on, her age, the areas of the brain effected by the stroke, and the degree of damage done to the brain. All may not be lost. Many people who suffer stroke may continue to lead normal and fulfilling lives or there may be extreme impairment or anything in between.

Famously, while pregnant in 1965, actress Patricia Neal suffered three burst cerebral aneurysms, and was in a coma for three weeks. With intense, directed rehabilitation, she subsequently relearned to walk and talk all over again.

Everyone's different, A2. It's good you can be there for your grandma - she knows it and is probably relieved and a lot less fearful because of your presence.

Sorry to hear that!
I suffered a mini stroke almost a year ago and am functioning quite well.
Age, type of impairment, prognosis etc are relevant issues.......
It's good that young people are standing by her.
09-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Sorry to hear it A2, hope she recovers.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-03-2015, 03:21 PM
thinking of you. Heart

if she continues to improve, she will go to a rehab facility where they will work with her to try to get her functioning as much as she can. Medicare will pay for some most likely, but its limited. She will be assessed, they will work with her some, but it won't be what you expect because they have many patients to serve and there is only so much time in a day to see them all. If she makes it to this point, then family pitching in to do the therapy with her will make a big difference.

I think the DNR is an excellent choice.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
09-03-2015, 06:21 PM
(09-03-2015 03:01 PM)kim Wrote:  

She is 92-93. She used a walker for a few years and has had dementia for a while. Recovery is bound to be hard, but I am hopeful. I am not really the type to go day by day, I almost always plan out my next move. It calms me and helps me think. However, I know that this is not something in which a purely thought out plan would suffice in terms of comfort.

Too many variables. Right now, all I can do is watch over her whenever the opportunity arrives.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.