Stroking the embers of doubt.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Stroking the embers of doubt.
Share here some things which have the potential to starts flames of doubt about the existence of a god. Now I'm not talking about just the christian god, but any god. Also if you want, feel free to elaborate on how you became an atheist. Perhaps through the reflection of ourselves, we can better understand how to reason with theists. If some of you would say that theists can't be reasoned with, all I'd say is that you aren't doing the right reasoning.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and
willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then
why call him God?"

- Epicurus

This is by far my favorite quote. When I was first exposed to this quote I know not, but I do know that when I was a christian I pondered something along the lines of this and for a brief time satan became a good guy and that the hearts of men were filled with evil due to free will, and that satan was just the 'sheriff' of god. That was a very brief belief though, for soon I stopped believing in hell altogether for a 'benevolent' god could not permit a being to suffer for all eternity, no matter how great his sin. From there I sparked the thought of reincarnation, a hypothesis that I have refined so much it lays as a completely different thing which has no name to describe it, as far as my knowledge. Soon after I would decide that the existence of a god was highly improbable, and the more I learned about evolution and cosmic history the more I was able to assure myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nappa's post

Messages In This Thread
Stroking the embers of doubt. - Nappa - 14-01-2013 08:34 PM
RE: Stroking the embers of doubt. - Nappa - 17-01-2013, 07:30 PM
RE: Stroking the embers of doubt. - cjs - 22-01-2013, 08:42 PM
RE: Stroking the embers of doubt. - JDS - 22-01-2013, 07:41 PM