Strong Atheists: do any of u have a position on god's existence which is facts-based?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 12:33 PM
RE: Strong Atheists: do any of u have a position on god's existence which is facts-based?
(19-08-2014 12:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 12:15 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  There are plenty of arguments for deism. Many christian apologists seem to be well versed in them.

All of which boils down to a god of the gaps argument aka an argument from ignorance.

Indeed. There are plenty of arguments; all of them suck.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 12:38 PM
RE: Strong Atheists: do any of u have a position on god's existence which is facts-based?
(19-08-2014 12:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 11:17 AM)Ray Butler Wrote:  Because in an infinite universe there is infinite potential, and infinite possibilities, in an infinite universe possibilities can very much become probabilities, not discounting an infinite mind.

But the universe isn't infinite. So, there's that.

Remember what Einstein said "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, but I'm not sure about the universe"

It really depends on what we constitute as infinite as to if it exists or not.
19-08-2014, 12:41 PM
(19-08-2014 12:38 PM)Ray Butler Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 12:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  But the universe isn't infinite. So, there's that.

Remember what Einstein said "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, but I'm not sure about the universe"

Not sure what your quote is meant to prove (as it seemed more of a figure of speech than a declaration), but one obvious problem with what was said is that human stupidity will indeed come to an end...when the last human dies.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
19-08-2014, 12:46 PM
(19-08-2014 12:41 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 12:38 PM)Ray Butler Wrote:  Remember what Einstein said "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, but I'm not sure about the universe"

Not sure what your quote is meant to prove (as it seemed more of a figure of speech than a declaration), but one obvious problem with what was said is that human stupidity will indeed come to an end...when the last human dies.

I came across some idea about walking across a room; if you halve the distance, then halve it again, you can keep halving endlessly to the point you would never bridge that distance. If that idea is bogus I'd like to hear why, other than the fact that indeed you can walk across the room.
19-08-2014, 12:56 PM
(19-08-2014 12:46 PM)Ray Butler Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 12:41 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Not sure what your quote is meant to prove (as it seemed more of a figure of speech than a declaration), but one obvious problem with what was said is that human stupidity will indeed come to an end...when the last human dies.

I came across some idea about walking across a room; if you halve the distance, then halve it again, you can keep halving endlessly to the point you would never bridge that distance. If that idea is bogus I'd like to hear why, other than the fact that indeed you can walk across the room.

What, Zeno's Paradox?

It's bogus because a non-convergent series will, at its infinite limit, still be infinitely large. The sum of inverse squares is non-convergent.

The premises aren't even valid, because the fine structure of reality is quantised.

19-08-2014, 01:03 PM
(19-08-2014 12:46 PM)Ray Butler Wrote:  I came across some idea about walking across a room; if you halve the distance, then halve it again, you can keep halving endlessly to the point you would never bridge that distance. If that idea is bogus I'd like to hear why, other than the fact that indeed you can walk across the room.

... until the distance to move is the planck length which is "in principle, within a factor of order unity, the shortest measurable length – and no theoretically known improvement in measurement instruments could change that."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length

Then you could take planck length steps and eventually reach the other side of the room.
19-08-2014, 01:04 PM
(19-08-2014 12:46 PM)Ray Butler Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 12:41 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Not sure what your quote is meant to prove (as it seemed more of a figure of speech than a declaration), but one obvious problem with what was said is that human stupidity will indeed come to an end...when the last human dies.

Not sure what your response has to do with what I said. Nor do I see what point you are trying to prove when referencing the fact that you cannot multiply or divide your way to zero without using zero as a multiplier.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
19-08-2014, 01:09 PM
(19-08-2014 01:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 12:46 PM)Ray Butler Wrote:  I came across some idea about walking across a room; if you halve the distance, then halve it again, you can keep halving endlessly to the point you would never bridge that distance. If that idea is bogus I'd like to hear why, other than the fact that indeed you can walk across the room.

... until the distance to move is the planck length which is "in principle, within a factor of order unity, the shortest measurable length – and no theoretically known improvement in measurement instruments could change that."

Then you could take planck length steps and eventually reach the other side of the room.

Cool. But I'd suggest it isn't a distance at all if that is the case, and I'd suggest there is only one of them.
19-08-2014, 01:14 PM
(19-08-2014 01:09 PM)Ray Butler Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 01:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  ... until the distance to move is the planck length which is "in principle, within a factor of order unity, the shortest measurable length – and no theoretically known improvement in measurement instruments could change that."

Cool. But I'd suggest it isn't a distance at all if that is the case, and I'd suggest there is only one of them.

No, it's... definitely a distance.

On what are you basing that very odd conclusion?

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
19-08-2014, 01:16 PM
(19-08-2014 01:04 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
Not sure what your response has to do with what I said. Nor do I see what point you are trying to prove when referencing the fact that you cannot multiply or divide your way to zero without using zero as a multiplier.

I brought up Einstein because of his statement, I wasn't looking for an evaluation of his statement, I was using it to set up what I said, which was about what we constitute infinity to be, Einstein was relevant to me in that sense, contrasting science with culture, but I was implying mathematics and theory, even things we are yet to discover.