Strong Atheists: do any of u have a position on god's existence which is facts-based?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 08:10 AM
RE: Strong Atheists: do any of u have a position on god's existence which is facts-based?
(18-08-2014 07:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I know, right?

"Coins have two faces in one object, therefore everything else does too."

wut.

"Watches are complex and we know they have a designer. The universe is complex, therefore it must have a designer, too."

I've seen this argument before... [Image: skeptical-sm_zps59fc1324.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
18-08-2014, 08:12 AM
RE: Strong Atheists: do any of u have a position on god's existence which is facts-based?
(18-08-2014 08:10 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 07:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I know, right?

"Coins have two faces in one object, therefore everything else does too."

wut.

"Watches are complex and we know they have a designer. The universe is complex, therefore it must have a designer, too."

I've seen this argument before... [Image: skeptical-sm_zps59fc1324.png]

Nope, this one is different just unlike all the other times...erm, nevermind. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
18-08-2014, 08:45 AM
RE: Strong Atheists: do any of u have a position on god's existence which is facts-ba
(18-08-2014 07:53 AM)pablo Wrote:  A coin with only one side is not a coin, there is no spoon. Because the coin needs two sides to be a coin does not mean that one side created the other.

OK to clarify this one - I don't mean that one side of the coin literally (god like) "creates" the other side in time.

I mean that since each side requires the other side to exist, in some sense each is an inseparable aspect of the other's reality.

Phil
18-08-2014, 12:16 PM
I do not know if I qualify as a "strong atheist", what every that is supposed to mean. I am no longer a Christian because there are no facts backing up a god in the manner the Christian religion proposes. Personal religious experiences do not count as facts. I have had profound religious experience as a believer, but when they wore off I was back to regular me. The nature of these experience should also be called into question. Religious retreats are set up to be emotionally intense and some deprive you of sleep and contact with the outside world. They will stress you and break you and reprogram you, kind of like military boot camp or an interrogation.
18-08-2014, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 01:52 PM by Adrianime.)
My goodness. Without going into the whole knowledge vs belief distinctions...

-Strong/gnostic atheism = claim, "There are no gods."
-Weak/agnostic atheism = no claim, "I don't believe there are gods."

The issue that comes up is the fact that it is impossible to prove the non-existence of an un-falsifiable entity like a generic god, so most atheists are seemingly uncomfortable asserting a claim they know they cannot actually prove.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
18-08-2014, 02:26 PM
(18-08-2014 08:01 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 07:53 AM)pablo Wrote:  A coin with only one side is not a coin, there is no spoon. Because the coin needs two sides to be a coin does not mean that one side created the other.

A picture or drawing of a circle or coin is 2D.
A physical representation of a circle or coin are 3D, they have depth.

A coin also has duration, which makes it 4D.
Tongue

And it produces a gravity well, which makes it 5-...

... er, wait, I'm not entirely sure how that works.

.... but regardless, large amounts of coinage could be the cause of inflation!
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
19-08-2014, 05:12 AM
(18-08-2014 01:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  My goodness. Without going into the whole knowledge vs belief distinctions...

The issue that comes up is the fact that it is impossible to prove the non-existence of an un-falsifiable entity like a generic god, so most atheists are seemingly uncomfortable asserting a claim they know they cannot actually prove.
Even that I'm a theist, I totally agree with this
It is next to impossible to prove the non-existence of a general entity

The burden of proof is on Theists, but an honest Atheist should accept the proof if he cannot refute it.
19-08-2014, 05:23 AM
(19-08-2014 05:12 AM)Muslim Wrote:  The burden of proof is on Theists, but an honest Atheist should accept the proof if he cannot refute it.

And an honest theist (by the way, neither "atheist" nor "theist" are capitalized in the middle of a sentence) should accept the proof against his deity when it is blatantly obvious. Those that did are now called "atheists".

If you can provide proof for my definition of a god worthy of worship, which is the only being I'd worship willingly, feel free to do so. Three properties are necessary: omnipotence, omniscience, and benevolence.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
19-08-2014, 05:26 AM
(18-08-2014 04:41 AM)phil.a Wrote:  What if there were a person who was so good at taking other people's perspectives that he could actually see the truth of what everyone in the room was saying, even apparently contradictory perspectives.

Would such a person effectively have an absolute perspective?

You do, of course, realize that someone can say something that is 100% false, right?
If I told you that the Earth was flat, for example, that statement would be false.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
19-08-2014, 05:38 AM
(19-08-2014 05:12 AM)Muslim Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 01:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  My goodness. Without going into the whole knowledge vs belief distinctions...

Even that I'm a theist, I totally agree with this
It is next to impossible to prove the non-existence of a general entity

The burden of proof is on Theists, but an honest Atheist should accept the proof if he cannot refute it.

Sure, but there has never been a valid proof offered. So, there's that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post