Strong Atheists: do any of u have a position on god's existence which is facts-based?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 05:40 AM
RE: Strong Atheists: do any of u have a position on god's existence which is facts-based?
(19-08-2014 05:12 AM)Muslim Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 01:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  My goodness. Without going into the whole knowledge vs belief distinctions...

-Strong/gnostic atheism = claim, "There are no gods."
-Weak/agnostic atheism = no claim, "I don't believe there are gods."

The issue that comes up is the fact that it is impossible to prove the non-existence of an un-falsifiable entity like a generic god, so most atheists are seemingly uncomfortable asserting a claim they know they cannot actually prove.
Even that I'm a theist, I totally agree with this
It is next to impossible to prove the non-existence of a general entity

The burden of proof is on Theists, but an honest Atheist should accept the proof if he cannot refute it.

However the problem has always been the complete lack of any evidence for the supernatural, let alone anything divine.

But no, give it your best shot. You'll quickly earn yourself a crash course in the scientific method, the evaluation of evidence, the burden of proof, deductive reasoning, inference, and logic. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-08-2014, 05:41 AM
RE: Strong Atheists: do any of u have a position on god's existence which is facts-based?
(19-08-2014 05:12 AM)Muslim Wrote:  The burden of proof is on Theists, but an honest Atheist should accept the proof if he cannot refute it.

Agreed. Do you know of any proof that isn't presuppositional?
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
19-08-2014, 05:51 AM
I think we should do a quick sweep stake bet on what we think Muslim's proofs are based on.

Bagsy Kalam Cosmological Argument.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
19-08-2014, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 08:01 AM by One Above All.)
(19-08-2014 05:51 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I think we should do a quick sweep stake bet on what we think Muslim's proofs are based on.

That+predictions in the Koran+"knowledge" in the Koran that people didn't have at the time+rationalizations to explain away the blatant contradictions within the Koran and with the Koran and reality.

I think that's all of it.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
19-08-2014, 05:55 AM
(19-08-2014 05:51 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I think we should do a quick sweep stake bet on what we think Muslim's proofs are based on.

How about complete ignorance of history, and attempting to pass off the Koran as authoritative in it's own right? Basically classical theist circular reasoning. The book is infallible, because it's the word of god, and god is infallible because it says so in his book. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
19-08-2014, 07:59 AM
And Muhammad totally wasn't a pedophile.
And he'll totally be laughing at us once we're in hell and having our skin burned off and regrown. Because that's Allah's perfection on display right there.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
19-08-2014, 10:36 AM
(19-08-2014 05:53 AM)One Above All Wrote:  

That+predictions in the Koran+"knowledge" in the Koran that people didn't have at the time+rationalizations to explain away the blatant contradictions within the Koran and with the Koran and reality.

I think that's all of it.

Eh. Whichever. We've all seen this schtick before. "Oh, I'll prove it.... EVENTUALLY. First, I gotta... what, raise expectations?"

Except so many people have already tried this with "proofs" that were nothing of the sort, that this LOWERS our expectations rather than raise them.
19-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Not fact based perse, it is possible to interpret some mathematical principles to support a belief in God; with an infinite variable equation for example. But really that is neither here nor there.
19-08-2014, 10:50 AM
(19-08-2014 10:41 AM)Ray Butler Wrote:  Not fact based perse, it is possible to interpret some mathematical principles to support a belief in God; with an infinite variable equation for example. But really that is neither here nor there.

Having taken a lot of maths and used it every day, I call bullshit. Just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-08-2014, 10:59 AM
(19-08-2014 10:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 10:41 AM)Ray Butler Wrote:  Not fact based perse, it is possible to interpret some mathematical principles to support a belief in God; with an infinite variable equation for example. But really that is neither here nor there.

Having taken a lot of maths and used it every day, I call bullshit. Just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

Well; he's not totally wrong.

It's quite possible to "interpret" literally anything to support a belief in God.

Not that that makes it compelling or even coherent, of course.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post