Struggles or Plain Sailing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2016, 09:22 AM
RE: Struggles or Plain Sailing?
(11-06-2016 09:14 AM)Dramamask Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 09:11 AM)carusmm Wrote:  Okay, sorry to disturb you in your personal travails.

Maybe write your own point of view. Smile

I have no experience of religion at all, apart from the odd bit of madness.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2016, 09:28 AM
(11-06-2016 09:22 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 09:14 AM)Dramamask Wrote:  Maybe write your own point of view. Smile

I have no experience of religion at all, apart from the odd bit of madness.

What is your experience as somebody with no experience of religion at all? I'm assuming you are an atheist?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2016, 09:35 AM
(11-06-2016 09:28 AM)Dramamask Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 09:22 AM)carusmm Wrote:  I have no experience of religion at all, apart from the odd bit of madness.

What is your experience as somebody with no experience of religion at all? I'm assuming you are an atheist?

I am a humanist before anything but I am atheistic in outlook. To me, the world is a sad, sad, sad place and it probably needs religion.
[+] 1 user Likes carusmm's post
11-06-2016, 09:55 AM
(11-06-2016 09:35 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 09:28 AM)Dramamask Wrote:  What is your experience as somebody with no experience of religion at all? I'm assuming you are an atheist?

I am a humanist before anything but I am atheistic in outlook. To me, the world is a sad, sad, sad place and it probably needs religion.

Well, I guess if we watch the news 24/7 then the world is a very sad place, but while I type this reply to you, I am looking out of the window, the sun is out, a blue sky with a few clouds and can hear lots of birds chirping away - feels good. I'm sure there is shit going on somewhere else, but not in my experience, at this moment in time. I don't think the world needs religion, but just good ideas and systems of thought which promote the health of societies and individuals, which is based on the observation of how things work for the better. Smile Get rid of the psychopaths, religious nuts and all the other idiots and make way for creating better systems, we're all plain sailing. Put the Epsilons where they should be and resurrect the Alphas and Betas and put them in positions of power, while we have a system of power hierarchy. Personally speaking, I sway towards the Libertarian end of the spectrum which means less societal control and smaller government, but ideally I would be an anarchist, in it's truest meaning and not the 'pop' meaning which has been high-jacked over the last 100 years or so. Sorry, I have gone off on one - again! Haha!! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Dramamask's post
11-06-2016, 09:49 PM
(11-06-2016 07:06 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 06:58 AM)Dramamask Wrote:  He had a few nervous breakdowns too, didn't he? :o

He died of the clap, poor bastard.

No, syphilis - not the clap (Gonorrhea).

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
11-06-2016, 11:32 PM
I went to a relatively liberal church as a kid. My parents were both school teachers and taught me to think rather than believe. I recall believing but the belief was immature. I prayed for immortality and wished that something truly horrid had happened to the mean people who killed Jesus. Santa Claus grade belief. I don't even recall my conversion, if the term even applies, so it can't have been terribly traumatic. As far as I've been able to figure I was never able to produce a mature and coherent idea of god to replace the immature one. Eventually the immature one must have faded, much like baby teeth dropping out I suppose.

In my early teens it came to the point where Sunday school was over and we were expected to become Confirmed in the Church. During that I realised that I didn't believe any of what I was supposed to say. There was some minor discussion with my mom, who was a believer but no serious problems. After that I got to sleep in on Sunday mornings. Ironically, I rather enjoyed the social aspects of church. Good people and good times. It was the god and religion that I couldn't take.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
12-06-2016, 12:28 AM
I was a believer as a child, and as my doubts grew (starting around age 9) so did my fears, that I would be damned, left behind. By the time I was fifteen, I was a confirmed atheist. There was no real point where I said, "Well, that's it, I don't believe any more, because of Point X from Argument Y". The realization just came to me one day that I had no faith any more, and oddly enough, that didn't arouse any fears.

I spent several years after that wandering in woo until reading a combination of Sagan and Randi showed me the ropes for how to think rationally. I realized I had already been doing this when I had had Euclidean geometry in high school, so it wasn't that hard to extend that thinking and combine it with a demand for evidence.

Nowadays, my commitment is to rational thinking, and my atheism is simply a subset of that discipline.
12-06-2016, 04:22 PM
If everything was just plain sailing, we would have nothing to complain about. haha