Struggling with low weight/eating

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 01:45 AM
Struggling with low weight/eating
It may sound like an odd problem to have, I don't know, but I've always had more trouble with gaining weight than losing it. I've always been a pretty thin girl, always on the side of slightly underweight. At my best I was at 120 pounds, and then my traumatic deconversion happened and -- well, things got bad quickly.

Making a long story short, I was so scared that I just stopped eating. I couldn't eat any more. My appetite was shot. I went from eating one meal a day to one bite a day, and needless to say I suffered greatly for that. Then I legit started vomiting every time I tried to get back to a normal diet, and that's when I ended up briefly hospitalized.

Then I started eating again, finding it much easier without the nausea. Soon my weight began to pick back up. But, you know, the worries come back and with my mood goes my ability to eat for some reason.

So then I dropped down to 89 pounds, and pretty much forced myself to start eating again. I'm trying to recover without any more relapses into not-eating mode. Sadcryface

I've tried everything to keep myself on track. Setting alarms for different meals, things like that, they didn't work. And it's not to say I've not tried fattening stuff (I eat mostly junk). But I have noticed that I'm starting to fall back into barely-eating and I don't want to end up accidentally dropping below 90 again, so does anyone have any tips for gaining weight and just dealing with this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2016, 05:30 AM
RE: Struggling with low weight/eating
I'm struggling with almost the same problem, it's impossible for me to gain weight, not because I don't eat enough I guess but because my metabolism burns everything.
I have had this problem all my life, even though I still haven't found the solution (I managed to increase my weight a bit in the past, but right now it's stuck again, and I'm still very thin), I have some experience in what not to do and a few things that helped me :

- stop the junk food ! seriously, not only it won't really help you gain weight (or it will, but only fat, so that's not what you want), but on the long run it will really have a negative impact on your health.
Especially as your diet has an impact on so many things in your life (your energy, your sleep, your mood), so bad diet is the root of not feeling good at all
- do you sport ? muscle is heavier than fat, so gaining some muscle helps you increasing your weight (you'll still be very thin, but the value on the scale will be higher, it's already a start. For me, it helped me feeling a bit better regarding my weight)
- also sport increases your appetite and has a positive effect on sleep (and on your mood)
- if you feel "full" each time you eat a little bit, then you have to eat more often, like 5 meals a day (healthy stuff), you'll get more calories while not forcing you to a long boring meal that you have a hard time finishing
- do you drink lots of coffee ? because if you have a high metabolism, it's not good to drink too much coffee that boost again your metabolism. Also, if you have some anxiety issues, it's not good for it too. I used to drink a lot of coffee (I like coffee !), but I now limit to 2 cups a day to prevent negative effect on my anxiety and metabolism.

If your weight problem comes directly from your anxiety problem, then it's very important to treat your anxiety in the first place, are you treated for it ?
[+] 2 users Like Sturm's post
29-11-2016, 08:00 AM
90 lbs is like almost Karen Carpenter dangerous. Eat more nuts. Lots of nuts. Especially macademia. 30 of them will give you 700 calories. Whey protein shakes too.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-11-2016, 08:12 AM
Hug

I think it would be a good idea to talk to a therapist if you think there might be an underlying problem (i.e. traumatic deconversion) causing this. If not, I think Girly's idea of eating high calorie, preferably nutrient-rich foods is a good one. Nuts, protein shakes, avocados, peanut butter, pasta. The other thing you could do is just keep setting your alarm and eat small things throughout the day (two tablespoons of peanut butter, a hardboiled egg, a handful of nuts, fruit, a few slices of cheese, etc.).
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
29-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Try ensure or boost. Cannabis and ensure brought my husband back from being literally skin and bones - cannabis is the very best appetite creating drug. Ensure and boost really do hit the spot, and they provide a decent balance of nutrients. Plus they taste like junk food.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-11-2016, 08:28 AM
I would see a nutritionist. I saw one when I was concerned about having a well-balanced diet, and she was super helpful.

They are trained to help people gain/lose weight for long-term.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post
29-11-2016, 08:30 AM
(29-11-2016 08:21 AM)Dom Wrote:  Try ensure or boost. Cannabis and ensure brought my husband back from being literally skin and bones - cannabis is the very best appetite creating drug. Ensure and boost really do hit the spot, and they provide a decent balance of nutrients. Plus they taste like junk food.

Ensure Plus and Boost Plus are both good. ~350 cals/8 oz. Boost also has a very high calorie version which comes in at 530 cals/8 oz. That's just unseemly.

#sigh
29-11-2016, 11:43 AM
(29-11-2016 08:28 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I would see a nutritionist. I saw one when I was concerned about having a well-balanced diet, and she was super helpful.

They are trained to help people gain/lose weight for long-term.
Definitely see a nutritionist if you're not familiar with setting yourself a healthy and substantial diet. "Empty" calories from junk stick just like others, but they can sometimes lower your appetite for "real" food.

It may also help to download and use a calorie tracker app. I have a crazy metabolism, but I was able to gain 25 lbs between calorie tracking and weight lifting last winter. On the cheap budget end, low sugar pb&j on whole grain breads can be a good supplement between your regular meals. I immediately started to see a major acceleration in weight gain because of the added protein and carbs from two per day with peanut butter on both pieces of bread. One a day now helps me maintain the new weight. Stay fit, stay healthy, and make sure you talk to a nutritionist or get a referral from your regular doctor for a local nutritionist!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
29-11-2016, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2016 12:23 PM by Loom.)
As Girly said, eat more fatty (good fats!) and protein rich foods! Eat more cheeses, nuts, fatty fish like salmon, and superfoods like chia seeds. Treat yourself to some chocolate! Use olive oil in your recipes or to dip bread into. And don't forget your greens, but make sure they're not " empty calorie" greens like celery, go for kale and spinach!

I have the opposite problem, so I can assure you these work! Tongue

Hope things get better for you!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
29-11-2016, 01:21 PM
I think you'd benefit from seeing a therapist and a nutritionist, if you can afford to, to find different ways of responding to stress.

I can tell you how I handled a similar situation. At one point I was about 85 pounds because I was so stressed out that I couldn't eat more than a bite or two without feeling acutely nauseated, was throwing up (not intentionally) every day, etc. This happened a couple of times to me in high school and a couple of times as a young adult in my 20s, although in my 20s I bottomed out at about 95 pounds. I found that I couldn't keep food down in the mornings or afternoons, and nothing acidic, like orange juice, stayed down. The best time for me to eat and keep the food down was the evenings, so I would try consciously to eat a little more than I wanted to at that point. I ate extra nuts and dried fruit, and gradually increased the portions that I ate at dinner. Eventually I was able to start keeping lunch down, but breakfast that year didn't happen. What helped most was reducing the stress over the time. A therapist would have been of great use; I fumbled through on my own.

While you're trying to reduce stress/find an expert to help you, I'd recommend that you find one time of day when it's good for you to eat, physically, and make a habit of eating then, just a little more than you want to, of whatever kind of food you want. Notice when you accomplish that and give yourself a little bit of a "good job" for doing something good for your health.

Best of luck to you.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post