Stubborn is stubborn

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Stubborn is stubborn
Sure, we all get a little stubborn from time to time. It is a bad thing to have a lot of.
Sometimes we hold onto positions for far too long for no good reason other than we just don't want to give it up.
The theist in the clip below is one such person.
No matter how nice they seem to be, stubborn is stubborn.
The power of god glasses combined with the power of stubborn = Hang up.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TalladegaTom's post
05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
RE: Stubborn is stubborn
lol, "tool"

I like the way Matt argued his point. The guy could never move his argument forward because he kept getting stuck on his first point which cannot be demonstrated. I can't imagine a point where we will ever be able to examine "nothing" in order to even being to try to address the claim that "something can never come from nothing". It sounds like it's a logical argument until you really think about the fact that it can never ever be demonstrated. It's purely assumption.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
05-03-2012, 12:15 PM
This was hilarious.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Why does a believer HAVE TO call into this show and argue?
Can't he just be content in his belief and go about his life?

I have heard the theory that rejection of God is actually rejection of the person who claims God. It is a personal rejection. If Christians were so confident why do any of them bother with a minority of non-believers. They should all just think that atheists are simply going to hell and they are going to be with the God they believe in.

Can this logic be flipped around on atheists? Should atheists just shut up and go about their business content in their belief that there is no God?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
It is my experience that "confident Christians" bother with us as they feel we are a threat.

(05-03-2012 04:20 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Can this logic be flipped around on atheists?

It can if you are not paying attention.

(05-03-2012 04:20 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Should atheists just shut up and go about their business content in their belief that there is no God?

No!
I say get in there and give it to 'em. Full court press.

[+] 2 users Like TalladegaTom's post
05-03-2012, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 09:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-03-2012 08:12 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(05-03-2012 04:20 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Should atheists just shut up and go about their business content in their belief that there is no God?

No!

You're a young man ain't ya' Talladega. If I followed your advice I'd be risking my career every bit as much as a Christian trying to proselytize to me in the workplace. They're not allowed to witness to me, I'm not allowed to point out their metaphysical delusions to them, and we got absolutely no problems working together. Hell, I'm even close friends with some of them. Think that's how secularism is supposed to work.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-03-2012, 09:34 PM
(05-03-2012 09:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

No!

You're a young man ain't ya' Talladega. If I followed your advice I'd be risking my career every bit as much as a Christian trying to proselytize to me in the workplace. They're not allowed to witness to me, I'm not allowed to point out their metaphysical delusions to them, and we got absolutely no problems working together. Think that's how secularism is supposed to work.

I'm 50. Old enough to see religion trample humanity plenty.
No one is advocating you lose your job, but why give 'em a free ride?
I say always point out atheism and make it clear that you do not agree with theism in no uncertain terms.

My idea of secularism is that human activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be unbiased by religious influence.

[+] 2 users Like TalladegaTom's post
06-03-2012, 12:22 AM
(05-03-2012 09:34 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  I'm 50.

Bitchslap acknowledged and recognized, brother.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-03-2012, 12:49 AM
I liked the video, the guy who's callinf was quite informed and could think, he got tangled in his own logic, and the hosts were very cunning and cornered him in a rhetorical dead end. They just didn't accepted his premiss, and didn't give him a small hole to get away with it.

I'm not saying the caller was right, I think he was in an unfair fight though Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
06-03-2012, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 01:10 AM by Mr Woof.)
The fact that nothing as we percieve of it , is called nothing (non something) does not epistemologgically require anything to make it a link in causality in keeping with our scientific capabilities.

Could not an assumed nothing, operate beyond the laws of causality in a manner beyond the linkages at our disposal. I see atheism as logically correct, but in terms of systems beyond our secular reasoning powers nothing could be a non causal source but real, relevant to currently locked in Universal non causal meanings.
(05-03-2012 09:34 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(05-03-2012 09:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

No!

You're a young man ain't ya' Talladega. If I followed your advice I'd be risking my career every bit as much as a Christian trying to proselytize to me in the workplace. They're not allowed to witness to me, I'm not allowed to point out their metaphysical delusions to them, and we got absolutely no problems working together. Think that's how secularism is supposed to work.

I'm 50. Old enough to see religion trample humanity plenty.
No one is advocating you lose your job, but why give 'em a free ride?
I say always point out atheism and make it clear that you do not agree with theism in no uncertain terms.

My idea of secularism is that human activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be unbiased by religious influence.

While I object strongly to the bulk of religion I do not hold metaphysical comtemplations as a taboo area, by virtue of scientific limitations, as pointed out by Hume,Popper, Kuhn and other so called irreationalist philosophers.