Stuck in the middle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Stuck in the middle
Hello everyone!
So here is my story, I was raised baptist and eventually found my way to a non denominational church. This church was everything in my life. Till.. The preacher preached nothing but the end times. It's scary stuff. This church is also a "come as you are church" until you're me and bring in an agnostic boyfriend. I got the "you know the bible so we won't say anything" talks.. But word travels fast of the girl ruining her life for a non believer. This was my first big turn away, I was no longer treated as one of them, my membership was around 3 years. I came across this church by an alcoholic boyfriend who was abusive. The agnostic treats me very well. But we were unequally yolked and you know that can't fly. But why? The new boyfriend and I would debate nearly every day (it's how we met funny enough) and before long he brought a new light in. It's been over a year and my questions raise daily. Now I'm literally stuck in between.. I've read up on why God isn't real (it hurts my little heart to but I need a truth) and that's why I am here. Hopefully to find people who have been there. This is supposed to be a religion of love but I can't feel it anymore.
The thing that keeps me in the middle are the prophecies thrown around. I have taken time to read why atheists don't agree with them and often felt comfort. But this religion gives me straight anxiety. Israel at war, anti Christ, second coming.. All this scares me and as soon as I find relief it gets worse. I can't sleep, scared to leave my family or boyfriend lest Jesus calls my name..
I just need to find truth in something.. And I literally have no one to talk to.. Preachers tell me I'm not saved or need to pray. By their standards I am saved and prayer has yet to help. I find myself in more questions towards God when I pray. Sorry the introduction is so long but I literally feel like time is up because it's shoved down my throat.. Even with all the good in the world I'm not allowed to believe He would hold off. Religion shouldn't be scary but it is. Sad for me to say but maybe it's time to let it go.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2016, 12:23 AM
RE: Stuck in the middle
Hi there, Jewel. Welcome to TTA.

Yup, there are many people here who have successfully gone through the deconversion process. Seems like you are at the beginning of that process.

(Julia Sweeny's "Letting Go Of God" springs to mind.)

It can be a rough ride. Feel free to explore and ask questions.

Hug

15-03-2016, 12:46 AM
So sorry you're struggling. I am an ex-Christian myself. It is a struggle coming out of religion since you were brainwashed to believe a certain way. It's very hard to realign your thinking, but it can happen. It just takes time and educating yourself.

The end of times has been going on for a long time. They believed this way back in biblical times. The Bible actually has sections that are classified as apocalyptic literature because they believed the world was coming to an end very soon. Fast forward til now and some religious people still believe the world is coming to an end. After all of the prophecies and predictions by various religious folks, this obviously has yet to happen. That should tell you something right there. As far as any other prophecies, many were written in after the fact or were completely vague and were/are left open to interpretation. People will say the Bible predicts all kinds of things, which of course, it doesn't. Some people like to take passages out of their original context and twist them to fit current or past occurrences. This is a very common practice with the rapturists, which it sounds like your religious upbringing may have been a part of.

Get Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A historical and literary introduction. He's a biblical scholar and his book explains where all these ideas and stories came from. People wrote these stories. Not a god. I also recommend reading the Skeptics Annotated Bible by Steve Wells.
15-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Welcome. I hope you'll find something on the site that will help you find what you're looking for.
15-03-2016, 12:56 AM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
15-03-2016, 01:53 AM
Quote: Israel at war

There is war and turmoil around there for over 2000 years, constantly, and there will be for a while i guess. It has (geo) strategic reasons. Dont get fooled by scremongers and end time fanatics who are desperate for this world to end.

Quote:anti Christ

There always were, are and will be horrible persons and regimes, its nothing new or special to our times!!!

So dont let those brainwashing fools keep you hooked up to their scare tactics scheme. Keep thinking and get rid of your burden. Free yourself from influence by control freaks. Stop letting them waste your life.

If god was real and if god was good, he wouldnt need some preachers to instill fear in you, so you cant sleep at night. How cruel is that? What a horrible, horrible scheme.
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
15-03-2016, 02:29 AM
Hey Smile

Sorry you're having a tough time with religion at the moment. But... what your pastor tells you is not true.

Firstly prophecy is an inexact thing - anyone can predict that Israel is at war, it's hardly rocket science. The prophecies in the bible are bunk.

Secondly, why would a fulfilled prediction be God's way of communicating with you? *I*, allegedly a much more limited being than God, am capable of using a keyboard. If he wants us to do things a certain way, why does God resort to absurd demonstrations of his power like earthquakes to get his point across?

Thirdly, a God who would threaten you with hellfire and damnation for not following your preacher's orders is a scumbag God. Not worthy of anything except scorn. Even if I thought that such a God did exist, I would be unable to worship such a twisted bastard.

And lastly Smile The best bit! There is no God. All that stuff is made up lies. So you don't have to bother with any of it Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-03-2016, 04:30 AM
(14-03-2016 11:12 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Hello everyone!
So here is my story, I was raised baptist and eventually found my way to a non denominational church. This church was everything in my life. Till.. The preacher preached nothing but the end times. It's scary stuff. This church is also a "come as you are church" until you're me and bring in an agnostic boyfriend. I got the "you know the bible so we won't say anything" talks.. But word travels fast of the girl ruining her life for a non believer. This was my first big turn away, I was no longer treated as one of them, my membership was around 3 years. I came across this church by an alcoholic boyfriend who was abusive. The agnostic treats me very well. But we were unequally yolked and you know that can't fly. But why? The new boyfriend and I would debate nearly every day (it's how we met funny enough) and before long he brought a new light in. It's been over a year and my questions raise daily. Now I'm literally stuck in between.. I've read up on why God isn't real (it hurts my little heart to but I need a truth) and that's why I am here. Hopefully to find people who have been there. This is supposed to be a religion of love but I can't feel it anymore.
The thing that keeps me in the middle are the prophecies thrown around. I have taken time to read why atheists don't agree with them and often felt comfort. But this religion gives me straight anxiety. Israel at war, anti Christ, second coming.. All this scares me and as soon as I find relief it gets worse. I can't sleep, scared to leave my family or boyfriend lest Jesus calls my name..
I just need to find truth in something.. And I literally have no one to talk to.. Preachers tell me I'm not saved or need to pray. By their standards I am saved and prayer has yet to help. I find myself in more questions towards God when I pray. Sorry the introduction is so long but I literally feel like time is up because it's shoved down my throat.. Even with all the good in the world I'm not allowed to believe He would hold off. Religion shouldn't be scary but it is. Sad for me to say but maybe it's time to let it go.

Welcome.

You seem like a good, decent and intelligent person.

Don't look to religion for answers. It is no more than an emotional crutch. Logical it's not.

Don't look to atheism for answers either. It is no more than a logical response to a claim that god exists. Of itself, it provides no emotional support although atheists, from my experience, are some of the most caring people that I've ever met. There's a lot of good people on this forum.

Look to yourself for answers. You are capable.

I also suggest talking to your boyfriend about him helping you leave the faith. It'll bring you closer together. Two heads are better than one. Get hold of some books about leaving a religion and why god is an illogical notion. Also read about why Man invented gods in the first place. It's important, I feel, for you to understand that there's a logic to all of this god rubbish.

Also, you have to ask yourself why it is that they didn't treat you as one of their own once they found that you had an agnostic boyfriend. It doesn't sound very christian to me - does it to you? Do you really want to be around people like that?

Ask yourself this: If religion is about peace and love and understanding, how come ministers try to scare the hell out of you using fire and brimstone tactics?

Good luck.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
15-03-2016, 04:47 AM
Good luck and welcome.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-03-2016, 06:10 AM
Welcome. Knowledge dispels ignorant beliefs.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user