Student leaders yet to decide next step

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Earmuffs found it least interesting (if at all) to have a democracy of letting ordinary people to decide national affairs by daily voting on smartphones.

These "voice of the people" self-appointed "leaders" seem to dislike that thought too.

Interesting ...

PS. When the USSR was still around, the US was "FREE", and it was the USSR that was "DEMOCRACY" ...

PPS. I am a supporter of these students because the cross-strait agreement is too unfair and I enjoy the 'show' they've put on. And I think the spoiled Hong Kong 'uncles' that we've invited into the house are enough (if not too much) for the moment. Taiwan ? How about 50 years later ?

PPPS. Students, just please be sure not to declare independence on the international level, which will trigue the anti-seccession law that initiates a procedure of unification by arms, which I really don't like for the moment ...

-----

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aipl/201404060021.aspx

-----

2014/04/06 21:36:42
Taipei, April 6 (CNA) A leader of the student occupation of the Legislative Yuan said Sunday that protesters are still considering their next step following their first meeting with the legislative speaker since the protest began March 18.

"Our next move is being discussed and has not yet been finalized," said Chen Wei-ting, one of the leading student activists.

But no matter what they decide, they will insist on passing a law to scrutinize cross-strait agreements before a legislative review of the trade-in-services pact -- the catalyst that led them to begin their occupation in the first place.

"What kind of law is passed is something we are concerned about," he said, calling the Cabinet's proposal for the agreement monitoring bill "not acceptable."

The protesters will also be watching closely how the services pact is handled as the first agreement put under the microscope of the new monitoring law, Chen said.

Lastly, he said, they will follow how the government deals with their demands for what they call a civic constitutional assembly meant to bring the public into the discussion of relations with China and topics of social justice.

Chen's comments came after Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng visited the students for the first time earlier in the day, calling on them to give up the protest but pledging to put meetings over the services pact on hold until the monitoring law is passed.

Many in the ruling Kuomintang have said that passing the law is not possible until the students leave the Legislature's main chamber so that it can resume regular operations.

(By Claudia Liu and Lilian Wu)
Enditem/WH

Related stories:
●Supporters urge students to end occupation of Legislature
●Ma calls for early passage of services pact despite Wang's pledge
●Legislative speaker promises to enact cross-strait monitoring law first (update)

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2014, 08:48 PM
RE: Student leaders yet to decide next step
Your fundamental misunderstanding of elected representation and Democracy continues.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
07-04-2014, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 08:49 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
(06-04-2014 08:48 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Your fundamental misunderstanding of elected representation and Democracy continues.

Please DO share your quick note of the correct understanding of Elected Representation and Democracy with me. Appreciated.

[Image: bee3ef62gw1ef7z56ck5hg201e01ewev.gif]

BTW, are those Taiwan students doing it right ?

07-04-2014, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 08:49 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
Hey, Revenant77x, I wasn't joking in my last reply.

Share with me some quick note of the correct understanding of what you think should be, please.

If I said falsely that 1+1=white fat rabbit, blame it on my country's education/indoctrination system all you like, but please be generous enough to at least shed some light on that ?

[Image: bee3ef62gw1ef7zax9i91g201e01eq2z.gif]

07-04-2014, 08:03 PM
(07-04-2014 07:54 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  Hey, Revenant77x, I wasn't joking in my last reply.

Share with me some quick note of the correct understanding of what you think should be, please.

If I said falsely that 1+1=white fat rabbit, blame it on my country's education/indoctrination system all you like, but please be generous enough to at least shed some light on that ?

[Image: em100.gif]

Sorry I meant to get back to this and it slipped my mind. From what I can tell those students are not an elected body and are in fact impeding the actual elected body from doing the duties they were elected to do.

In a representative Democracy (or republic there is a difference but that is for later) the average citizen votes for someone to represent their interests in a centralised legislative body. It is impractical to have direct democracy for all decisions and so the elected officials are, in theory, supposed to represent the best interest of their constituents. If an elected official is found to not have performed their duties to the satisfaction of their constituents then in any subsequent elections they can be unseated. Thus holding them responsible for their actions in a way that non-elected officials are not.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
26-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Reminds me of an article I read once. Here is a wiki link to a short synopsis of it:

Wisdom of the crowd