Student ordered to remove crucifix necklace to avoid "offense" to others

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 04:25 AM
RE: Student ordered to remove crucifix necklace to avoid "offense" to others
(05-07-2013 10:27 AM)Scully Wrote:  "I was offended because I believe as a Christian woman it is my prerogative to display my faith any way I like so long as it is not harming anyone else.
Yeah, this is true, but you have to be mature enough to accept that not everybody will find your expression likable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2013, 04:29 AM
(05-07-2013 10:27 AM)Scully Wrote:  “She’s a strong Christian, a faith-filled young woman who spent her summers at Catholic camp,” Jarvis said. “She’s just full of the Lord.”
Full of the Lord..... you mean in every hole?Drinking Beverage
08-07-2013, 04:52 AM
(07-07-2013 11:48 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  If you are so feeble minded that a necklace like that offends or sways you, you are the problem. Some times atheists get really fucking uppiddy and its embarrassing.

There's nothing in the article mentionning atheism. I wouln't be surprised of how many of even the same religion would be as uppitty.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-07-2013, 04:58 AM
I have to wonder if the tour guide position was held by a Muslim woman who wears the hijab, whether they would have asked her to stop wearing *her* outward expression of faith?

Somehow I rather doubt it. In fact, I would wager that having that person in the job would have the powers-that-be congratulating themselves on their grasp of cultural diversity.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 1 user Likes Scully's post
08-07-2013, 08:08 AM
(07-07-2013 11:48 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  If you are so feeble minded that a necklace like that offends or sways you, you are the problem. Some times atheists get really fucking uppiddy and its embarrassing.

I could not agree with you more.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
08-07-2013, 09:15 AM
We have to think about the vampires that will suffer if the crucifix is visible.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
08-07-2013, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 06:40 PM by Dark Light.)
She was completely justified in being pissed off. I'd be pissed off too...you know, if I had a religion and they were preventing me from wearing a symbol of it. True the symbol in this case is a bit gory, and maybe the university would have been justified in making her remove/hide it on the grounds of not exposing children to gore (similarly to not showing children R rated films) But the image of the crucifix is a cultural exception. Ain't saying it is right or wrong, but it is an exception. Anyhow, that was not the case, it was some asshole who likely was not Catholic and didn't much care for her religious beliefs. I don't either, but it's her business.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
I actually agree with the religious a university has no right to dictate how someone dresses...It would be like if someone asked me to remove my Atheism shirt (I don't own one but if I did).

However the new media has no doubt blown the whole thing out of proportion, the request did not come through official channels, etc...It's all BS.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
I used to be an RA for a Dorm when I was in school. There was this kid down the hall who was as religious as could be and was the type that wouldn't hesitate to let you know about it. As soon as he mentions "Jesus" I knew it was time to run and hide.

Well, one day I'm walking down the hall and all the doors are open and as I pass this guys room, I see he has religious posters all over the walls of his dorm room. So, I stopped and told the kid that religious posters are not allowed to be placed on the walls of state property because it violates the constitution, and that he could get in big trouble for doing so - maybe thrown off the University grounds by the Campus Police. A couple of older guys going to school on the GI Bill couldn't resist teasing the kid and they backed me up adding how his life would be "ruined" and stuff like that and he's forever lose his right to go to a State University.

Anyways...I didn't think the kid believed me, but I later heard that he did indeed take down every religious poster in his dorm room! (and I had wondered why I hadn't seen him talking Jesus in the halls!) Thank goodness he wasn't the vindictive type.