Studio Ghibli

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Studio Ghibli
My girlfriend and I have recently started collecting Studio Ghibli films and we're really enjoying them. I showed her Princess Mononoke since I had seen it years ago when it was new and she fell in love with it just as much as I did, it's a fantastic movie.

We got Howl's Moving Castle a few weeks back and it was pretty awesome too. I just got Nausicaa from Amazon, arrived in the mail yesterday, and we're gonna watch it tonight, I'm pretty excited.

So does anyone else enjoy Studio Ghibli films? What are your favorites? There are a lot of them, I don't know which one we'll order next, maybe Spirited Away (I don't think it Ghibli but I know it's under Miyazaki's name so it's got to be good).

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2011, 02:23 PM
RE: Studio Ghibli
The first film by Miyaziki I saw was Nausicaa and the valley of the wind, though the name on the english tape was Wind riders. I watched it at 6 years old. Ghibli films are all interesting and all Miyazaki films are produced by studio ghibli starting with My Neighbor Totoro. I can't quite remember how many are in english but I simply bought a Ghibli film collection to get most of the older films.

Sen to chihiro no kamikakushi or spirited away is a really fun one so definitely watch it. Nausicaa/wind riders is of coure one of my favorites, laputa is quite good, porco rosso is a very funny poppyesque film, and whispers of the heart is a touching more realistic story (with 7 versions of country road randomly put in =p). There are a lot more films, but i would suggest these first, also some films of his never made it to the US probably due to their social life aspects. a story about real life can seem really boring if you don't understand the culture in the story. All of these ones have been brought over though. Totoro is fun but it's quite a simplistic story, I've liked most of his other films better.

And if you are wondering the return of the cat is a less realistic add on story to whispers of the heart.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
31-08-2011, 03:23 PM
RE: Studio Ghibli
You really must get Whisper of the Heart (Mimi o Sumaseba). It's written (not directed) by Miyazaki and it's utterly charming.

You can't really go wrong with Ghibli films, even the less good ones, although I'd personally leave thinks like Yamadas and Cat Returns until last.

Nausicaa: A little dated now, but a great introduction before you tackle the manga (which is an essential read)

Laputa: A great 'Boys Adventure'. The movie that got me into anime.

Totoro: The most popular Miyazaki film. It's just full of fluffy wonderfulness.

Kiki: Somewhat charming but not one of my primary picks.

Porco Rosso: A fun action film with some nice flying scenes. Gets better with each watch.

Pompoko: Very wierd unless you have some familiarity with Japanese culture. It's possibly a bit over-long but it continues to grow on me each time I see it.

Grave of the Fireflies: Very touching and highly recommended.

Ocean Waves: I really like this, but remember it was made for TV and is shorter than most of his other works. A simple boy/girl story.

Only Yesterday: Sort of similar to 'Whisper' in that it's grounded in reality. While not as good, it's still a touching piece that shows that anime isn't always about fantasy and giant robots.

Ponyo: Who cares if it's made for kids, it's quite special and harkens back to the Totoro style in some respects.

Why won't God heal amputees?