Study: CTE Found In Nearly All Donated NFL Player Brains

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Study: CTE Found In Nearly All Donated NFL Player Brains
Quote:As the country starts to get back into its most popular professional team sport, there is a reminder of how dangerous football can be.

An updated study published Tuesday by the Journal of the American Medical Association on football players and the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy reveals a striking result among NFL players.

The study examined the brains of deceased former football players (CTE can only be diagnosed after death) and found that 110 out of 111 brains of those who played in the NFL had CTE.

CTE has been linked to repeated blows to the head — the 2015 movie Concussion chronicled the discovery of CTE's connection to football.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/25/539198429/...yer-brains

So how many high school football players have suffered repeated concussions?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
25-07-2017, 11:18 AM
RE: Study: CTE Found In Nearly All Donated NFL Player Brains
(25-07-2017 11:10 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
Quote:As the country starts to get back into its most popular professional team sport, there is a reminder of how dangerous football can be.

An updated study published Tuesday by the Journal of the American Medical Association on football players and the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy reveals a striking result among NFL players.

The study examined the brains of deceased former football players (CTE can only be diagnosed after death) and found that 110 out of 111 brains of those who played in the NFL had CTE.

CTE has been linked to repeated blows to the head — the 2015 movie Concussion chronicled the discovery of CTE's connection to football.

A good sister thread would be - "how much football did you play??"

I'll put safe money on a couple guys here being starting quarterback.......

For the record - I was too busy working and chasing poontang to have time for any sports..... The coach asdked me "Where is your school spirit??"..

I asked - " What's it pay??"

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
25-07-2017, 11:32 AM
If you live in a medium sized or larger city go check out some youth leagues games some time. They smash helmet to helmet all the time and the culture is way more old school so it's still not penalized unless it's clearly "spearing". Obviously, youth league isn't played with the mass and velocity as varsity on up but a lot of NFL players will only allow their own kids to play flag football until high school. And in big cities 7 on 7 skill position focus play with much less violent contact is competing with high schools for talent.

I think there's an important distinction there because college and pro deals with adults who can make adult decisions concerning what's worth it and what's not.

Also, I wish the chronic wear and tear on common laborers got this kind of attention. How's the typical 60 year old roofer holding out?
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
25-07-2017, 11:54 AM
(25-07-2017 11:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 11:10 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  .

A good sister thread would be - "how much football did you play??"

I'll put safe money on a couple guys here being starting quarterback.......

For the record - I was too busy working and chasing poontang to have time for any sports..... The coach asdked me "Where is your school spirit??"..

I asked - " What's it pay??"

See, you could have worked smarter instead of harder. The poontang came with the playing of sports Thumbsup
25-07-2017, 12:00 PM
(25-07-2017 11:32 AM)ImFred Wrote:  If you live in a medium sized or larger city go check out some youth leagues games some time. They smash helmet to helmet all the time and the culture is way more old school so it's still not penalized unless it's clearly "spearing". Obviously, youth league isn't played with the mass and velocity as varsity on up but a lot of NFL players will only allow their own kids to play flag football until high school. And in big cities 7 on 7 skill position focus play with much less violent contact is competing with high schools for talent.

I think there's an important distinction there because college and pro deals with adults who can make adult decisions concerning what's worth it and what's not.

Also, I wish the chronic wear and tear on common laborers got this kind of attention. How's the typical 60 year old roofer holding out?

I can't speak to your anecdote, but the youth league my son plays in (Tampa Bay Youth Football League) has outlawed any helmet to helmet contact, and actually disqualifies any player who does so (regardless of intent or lack thereof). I haven't seen any cases of TBI in any of the games so far, unless they were non-symptomatic.

He plays flag too in the spring and he enjoys that almost as much, so I can see both sides of the situation. He's also huge for his age - he is 13 and he's 6' 1" and 175 lbs of solid muscle LOL.
[+] 2 users Like Stefan Mayerschoff's post
25-07-2017, 12:05 PM
I bet you have to bring proof of his age to every game!

I'm glad to hear they're getting with the times down in Tampa Bay. Honestly, having a local NFL team probably helps.
25-07-2017, 12:16 PM
(25-07-2017 12:05 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I bet you have to bring proof of his age to every game!

I'm glad to hear they're getting with the times down in Tampa Bay. Honestly, having a local NFL team probably helps.

Last year was quite a challenge - he was, by age, in the midget division (up to 12 y/o) but that division had a 150 lb weight limit, and they weigh before every game, not just at the beginning of the season. He actually missed one game because of weight, and we had to monitor him super carefully, especially food intake Friday and Sat morning. He didn't want to play up a level with boys that were 2-3 years older than him. This year he's varsity division which goes to 15 years and 200 lbs so got plenty of wiggle room (at least right now LOL. I swear sometimes he's gotten a half inch taller between when he went to bed and the next morning!!)
25-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Protect his knees.
25-07-2017, 12:29 PM
(25-07-2017 12:23 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Protect his knees.

Yah, at least he's playing skill positions - wideout and tight end on offense and defensive end on defense. If he was "in the trenches" I'd be a lot more concerned honestly.

Still not my favorite activity for him, but he's tried other sports and this is the one who really loves. Gotta let em leave the nest eventually I guess.
25-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Two questions.

Defensive end isn't "in the trenches"?

Do they enforce the "defenseless receiver" rule down there?

Totally agree about the nest. Just making conversation at this point. I've always loved WATCHING football lol
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post