Study: CTE Found In Nearly All Donated NFL Player Brains

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2017, 12:59 PM
RE: Study: CTE Found In Nearly All Donated NFL Player Brains
(25-07-2017 12:54 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Two questions.

Defensive end isn't "in the trenches"?

Do they enforce the "defenseless receiver" rule down there?

Totally agree about the nest. Just making conversation at this point. I've always loved WATCHING football lol

HAHA semantics I guess. As an edge rusher, he's not as likely to get rolled up on and tear an ACL or something like that compared to guards and tackles. Better he's on the periphery than smack dab in the middle so to speak!

They do enforce defenseless receiver. Doesn't happen much at this age/skill combo honestly. Usually for the pass to be completed there has to be no defender within 5 yards Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2017, 12:59 PM
My son played Pop Warner for two seasons. I was glad when he decided to not play HS ball, for this reason.

I played two seasons in HS, and got a couple of concussions. Also got a couple doing other things.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
25-07-2017, 01:42 PM
From a lot of things I read over years past, it's not the concussions that seem to generate cte as simply as just repeated hits to the head.

Which is why linemen or guys in the trenches seem to be frequently found with it... they don't often get big concussion hits as other players but spend their games banging into each other over and over including Lots and lots of head smacks all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
25-07-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm just old enough that I played on the tail end of the "old school" type of play where helmet to helmet contact wasn't penalized except in extreme situations, we practiced 2 times a day in August when it was over 100F, and if the coach didn't like how we were practicing he'd withhold water as punishment.

I played defensive end and some tight end, and I can remember my early HS years being the scout team aka the tacking dummies and I would take repeated hits to the head just in practice. I can still remember getting bad headaches but trying to talk to anyone about it would get me almost ridiculed. The only time they took notice is if you broke something. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't play because to this day I have shoulder and knee problems and that was just from 8 years of Pop Warner through HS. I can't imagine how badly off I would be if I had been good enough to play in college and professionally.

I didn't help I was still in the time frame where if you were Southern and didn't play football, that was almost as bad as being an atheist. If you didn't play football, you had better have at least been good enough to play another sport (preferrably basketball or baseball), or you were primed for a lot of ridicule. Hell I played mostly because of that, I didn't particularly enjoy it. I love watching football but I won't deny it's a pretty stupid sport.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
25-07-2017, 02:35 PM
(25-07-2017 11:54 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 11:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A good sister thread would be - "how much football did you play??"

I'll put safe money on a couple guys here being starting quarterback.......

For the record - I was too busy working and chasing poontang to have time for any sports..... The coach asdked me "Where is your school spirit??"..

I asked - " What's it pay??"

See, you could have worked smarter instead of harder. The poontang came with the playing of sports Thumbsup

Please don't tell me you bought into that fairy tale......

I suppose there was some golden opportunities for some serious homo erotic stuff with a bunch of naked guys all lathered up in the locker room shower.....

But women??????

Noooooooo. I don't think so...

In my senior year, I took the advice of a older neighborhood guy I knew that knew how to meet women. I got a job in career work experience in a fabric shop at the mall...

I knew nothing about it, but had reliable transportation and could run a cash register....

All the jocks made disparaging remarks, and routinely called me "fabric fag" ( real geniuses those jocks)

Guess who comes into a fabric shop all day???

My highlight of the job was getting laid by a 30ish old lady customer that really knew what she was doing.....

In the back room, with the "back in 20 minute" sign on the front door....

Yeah team. Rah, rah.....

Consider

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
25-07-2017, 04:24 PM
(25-07-2017 11:54 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 11:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  For the record - I was too busy working and chasing poontang to have time for any sports..... The coach asdked me "Where is your school spirit??"..

See, you could have worked smarter instead of harder. The poontang came with the playing of sports Thumbsup

Also with the playing of guitars. Wink

Let's see . . . give up the brain, or give up the hearing to get laid . . . tough choice. Consider

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
25-07-2017, 05:25 PM
(25-07-2017 02:35 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 11:54 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  See, you could have worked smarter instead of harder. The poontang came with the playing of sports Thumbsup

Please don't tell me you bought into that fairy tale......

I suppose there was some golden opportunities for some serious homo erotic stuff with a bunch of naked guys all lathered up in the locker room shower.....

But women??????

Noooooooo. I don't think so...

In my senior year, I took the advice of a older neighborhood guy I knew that knew how to meet women. I got a job in career work experience in a fabric shop at the mall...

I knew nothing about it, but had reliable transportation and could run a cash register....

All the jocks made disparaging remarks, and routinely called me "fabric fag" ( real geniuses those jocks)

Guess who comes into a fabric shop all day???

My highlight of the job was getting laid by a 30ish old lady customer that really knew what she was doing.....

In the back room, with the "back in 20 minute" sign on the front door....

Yeah team. Rah, rah.....

Consider

(25-07-2017 04:24 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 11:54 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  See, you could have worked smarter instead of harder. The poontang came with the playing of sports Thumbsup

Also with the playing of guitars. Wink

Let's see . . . give up the brain, or give up the hearing to get laid . . . tough choice. Consider

Yup... Being a wannabe rock n roller didn't hurt.... I probably would have been pretty good if I'd practiced fingering the guitar as much as I practiced fingering young lasses...

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-07-2017, 05:28 PM
(25-07-2017 12:23 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Protect his knees.

My son blew both knees playing HS football. Two events I wish I hadn't witnessed. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-07-2017, 06:13 PM
(25-07-2017 11:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 11:10 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  .

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/25/539198429/...yer-brains

So how many high school football players have suffered repeated concussions?

A good sister thread would be - "how much football did you play??"

I'll put safe money on a couple guys here being starting quarterback.......

For the record - I was too busy working and chasing poontang to have time for any sports..... The coach asdked me "Where is your school spirit??"..

I introduced my two buddies who are now married. One was a Big 10 QB, and one is still an NFL R winger. They're both worried about CTE.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
25-07-2017, 06:40 PM
At least the NFL no longer denies its culpability in the issue. Cost them a billion dollar settlement, though.

The problem with college athletes is that they are not professionals getting paid to risk their brains. So few make the pros but those that don't have the residual effect of all those impacts. As a result they get all the benefits of brain damage without any of the care!

Same goes for hockey. Remember, CTE does not require constant concussions. Sub-concussive hits, over time, will do the same thing.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sport...sions.html

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post