Poll: Why do you think Atheists have a higher IQ than average?
Smart kids/people don't make good prey for con artists
Smart people are too comfy to need religion
Both of the above
I disagree with the basic premise of the article.
[Show Results]

Study Finds Atheists Are Smarter Than Theists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2013, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 11:55 AM by ridethespiral.)
Study Finds Atheists Are Smarter Than Theists.
Religious people are less intelligent than atheists, study finds

The article puts forth two explanations, personally I think it's a little from col A and a little from col B...and I also think the first applies more to de-conversion.

Quote:As early as 1958, Michael Argyle concluded, “Although intelligent children grasp religious concepts earlier, they are also the first to doubt the truth of religion, and intelligent students are much less likely to accept orthodox beliefs, and rather less likely to have pro-religious attitudes.”

and/or

Quote:The answer may, however, be more complex. Intelligent people may simply be able to provide themselves with the psychological benefits offered by religion - such as “self-regulation and self-enhancement,” because they are more likely to be successful, and have stable lives.

Either way... "I am so smart! I am so smart! s-m-r-t! I mean s-m-a-r-t!"

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
12-08-2013, 12:12 PM
RE: Study Finds Atheists Are Smarter Than Theists.
I can't find the paper on the cited journal's website. I would love to read it.
12-08-2013, 12:17 PM
(12-08-2013 12:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I can't find the paper on the cited journal's website. I would love to read it.

Never mind. I found a copy of it on scribd. It can be downloaded for free...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/159718696/The-...planations
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
12-08-2013, 12:30 PM
But tell us something we didn't know, oredi.

Smartass

Find all posts by this user
12-08-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm not surprised at this study. The Bible speaks of this phenomenon in 1 Corinthians 1:

For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”

And who is more intelligent, (or more educated) the degenerate gambler or the one who is restrained in gaming? The teen runaway prostitute or the upwardly mobile mother of three? The drug abuser or the teetotaler?

Ah, but who is more likely to be born again? The one who has more to be forgiven will love his Savior more...

Most Atheists are exceptionally, highly intelligent IMO. The issue isn't IQ points but pride.

Blessed are the humble, not "blessed are the arrogant".
12-08-2013, 01:27 PM
(12-08-2013 01:21 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I'm not surprised at this study. The Bible speaks of this phenomenon in 1 Corinthians 1:

For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”

And who is more intelligent, (or more educated) the degenerate gambler or the one who is restrained in gaming? The teen runaway prostitute or the upwardly mobile mother of three? The drug abuser or the teetotaler?

Ah, but who is more likely to be born again? The one who has more to be forgiven will love his Savior more...

Most Atheists are exceptionally, highly intelligent IMO. The issue isn't IQ points but pride.

Blessed are the humble, not "blessed are the arrogant".

And the average IQ of the thread just plummeted...

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you
do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will
understand why I dismiss yours.
[+] 2 users Like Jakel's post
12-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Skeptical people are less gullible...amazing find

In related news, study finds that women are better equipped to give birth than their male counter parts

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
12-08-2013, 01:39 PM
(12-08-2013 01:21 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Blessed are the humble, not "blessed are the arrogant".

Actually, it's "blessed are the cheese makers."

[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
12-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Okay, trying to figure this out...

(12-08-2013 01:21 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.

A speaker is speaking to a group, and says, "Look, folks, you might not be real smart, or, powerful, or rich..."

Quote:But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;

"...but God wants to use you to shame the smart and powerful;"

Quote:and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen

God chose the simple, disgusting things...

Quote:and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,

...and stuff that ?doesn't exist?, to destroy things that ?do exist?,...

Quote:that no flesh should glory in His presence.

...so no one will be ?distinguished, admirable? when God is around.

Quote:But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption—

You are ?part of/ with? Jesus, who was smart about God for us - and good and holy so we can have second chances -

Quote:that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”

Like someone else said, "if someone praises anything, he should praise the Lord."

So, even simpler, "Look you idiotic slobs, I am (God is) trying to get you to destroy stuff, because we like Jesus, and no one should think anything is more important than our God."

What does this have to do with comparative psychometrics?

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
12-08-2013, 02:14 PM
(12-08-2013 02:08 PM)I Am Wrote:  Okay, trying to figure this out...

It's not difficult.

It means that stoopid people are easily fooled and they should feel good about being stoopid.

There's plenty of evidence (^^^ not far away) that this delusion has persisted.

Cool

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post