Study: Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Study: Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believer
http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2012/04/3...enerosity/

Go figure

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2012, 09:04 PM
RE: Study: Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believer
Not sure yet what I think of the conclusions - went looking for the article on pubmed - My Brother’s Keeper? Compassion Predicts Generosity More Among Less Religious Individuals Social Psychological and Personality Science 1948550612444137, April 26, 2012, guess it hasnt made it there yet. Would like to read it....

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 1 user Likes Debzilla's post
01-05-2012, 12:44 AM
RE: Study: Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believer
Yea well I could have told you that.

This is how it works, you're hanging onto the edge of a cliff:

Atheist: "Need a hand?"
You: "yes please"
Atheist: *gives hand*

and the theist version

Theist: "You haven't accepted Jesus have you? That is why God put on the edge of a cliff and now you... oh he let go"

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
01-05-2012, 06:50 AM
(01-05-2012 12:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Theist: "You haven't accepted Jesus have you? That is why God put on the edge of a cliff and now you... oh he let go"

Or: "Oh, you're on the edge of a cliff and need help? I'll pray for you."

[+] 1 user Likes The_Evelyonian's post
01-05-2012, 06:55 AM
I can personally say that's not true.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-05-2012, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 07:15 AM by ahoy.)

The Pharisees in the bible stories are highly religious people.

People who are expert on written law usually forget what the law is all about.
01-05-2012, 07:31 AM
In thinking about this concept, my opinion is that people's actions are simply driven by different things. Perhaps a Christian will be moved to act out of a WWJD mindset. As in, I am doing this to help because that is what I am supposed to do based on what I have been taught through my religious affiliation. That's not to say that they aren't ever moved to action by an internal force. Certain situations will incite people to take action especially if they have empathy for it. If you have dealt with a devastating illness, lost your home to a fire, have a family member with a disability you are more likely to step in and help because you can relate to the situation.

There are people of all backgrounds and beliefs, or non-belief, that step up to help when others are in need. Whatever moves a person to help the bottom line is that they are trying to help.

You could argue that some Christians may take the stance that they don't need to help because they believe that God will provide. There are also people that simply don't care about the troubles of others so they do nothing. I'm just not sure I am convinced that compassion is or isn't based on religion or lack thereof. I think it's much more personal than that.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
01-05-2012, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 07:49 AM by germanyt.)
(01-05-2012 06:55 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I can personally say that's not true.
Atheist!
(01-05-2012 07:31 AM)Anjele Wrote:  In thinking about this concept, my opinion is that people's actions are simply driven by different things. Perhaps a Christian will be moved to act out of a WWJD mindset. As in, I am doing this to help because that is what I am supposed to do based on what I have been taught through my religious affiliation. That's not to say that they aren't ever moved to action by an internal force. Certain situations will incite people to take action especially if they have empathy for it. If you have dealt with a devastating illness, lost your home to a fire, have a family member with a disability you are more likely to step in and help because you can relate to the situation.

There are people of all backgrounds and beliefs, or non-belief, that step up to help when others are in need. Whatever moves a person to help the bottom line is that they are trying to help.

You could argue that some Christians may take the stance that they don't need to help because they believe that God will provide. There are also people that simply don't care about the troubles of others so they do nothing. I'm just not sure I am convinced that compassion is or isn't based on religion or lack thereof. I think it's much more personal than that.
I don't know. I could certainly believe that atheists are driven by a stronger sense of empathy and compassion than religious people. One reason being that atheists aren't driven by the idea that God would want them to help. They simply do it because it feels like the right thing to do. I don't think they study is saying religious people aren't good natured or helpful but that they are driven to do so because they believe they are supposed to.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
01-05-2012, 08:06 AM
(01-05-2012 07:41 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
Atheist!
(01-05-2012 07:31 AM)Anjele Wrote:  In thinking about this concept, my opinion is that people's actions are simply driven by different things. Perhaps a Christian will be moved to act out of a WWJD mindset. As in, I am doing this to help because that is what I am supposed to do based on what I have been taught through my religious affiliation. That's not to say that they aren't ever moved to action by an internal force. Certain situations will incite people to take action especially if they have empathy for it. If you have dealt with a devastating illness, lost your home to a fire, have a family member with a disability you are more likely to step in and help because you can relate to the situation.

I don't know. I could certainly believe that atheists are driven by a stronger sense of empathy and compassion than religious people. One reason being that atheists aren't driven by the idea that God would want them to help. They simply do it because it feels like the right thing to do. I don't think they study is saying religious people aren't good natured or helpful but that they are driven to do so because they believe they are supposed to.
I get that. The non-theist isn't compelled to act because of an outside influence such as the belief in a god or gods. But I do think that many Christians act also from the standpoint of it's the right thing to do. I don't think that a religious belief system means a person can't respond in a human or humane manner in and of it's sake, without it being deity-driven.

For me, the jury is out on that conclusion.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-05-2012, 09:03 AM
The studies are far from conclusive and I also have personal experiences that dictate otherwise. Moreover, I'm sure that there are non-religious people that aren't motivated by compassion.

That said, it is an interesting area of study.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted