Study: Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2012, 02:41 PM
RE: Study: Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believer
(01-05-2012 06:50 AM)The_Evelyonian Wrote:  
(01-05-2012 12:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Theist: "You haven't accepted Jesus have you? That is why God put on the edge of a cliff and now you... oh he let go"

Or: "Oh, you're on the edge of a cliff and need help? I'll pray for you."
Welcome to our soup kitchen. No god? No soup for you!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
RE: Study: Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believer
IF this study is accurate, and I consider the fact that it came from Berkeley, humanists may have the perspective that only another human can fix the problem. There is no divine help. For example: Children are starving in a poor country the humanist says it's up to us to do something. The religious have god to work a miracle or two. Let's pray for god to save the children, give money to the church instead. We need a new church building by the way.
The counterpoint would be that the religious believe that god commands them to help the poor, example is Catholic charities, Feed the Children Fund, etc.
These studies are often poorly done. Watch out for Social Scientist and statistics. They don't exactly go together.
Typically the research starts out with Pretense of Knowledge and ends with Confirmation Bias, quickly becomes Group Think, then anyone proposing counter findings are called ugly names and not invited to professor summer camp. I live this nightmare daily.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
02-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Well, I can personally say that I'm a prideful, selfish prick... and, if I was left to my own devices I wouldn't help anyone out if it didn't further my cause.

Recently, God told me to help someone. Because I was obedient, that person was blessed beyond anything that I could do.

That was of God and inspired by God... not by me.

Like I said, I'm a complete douche and a pretty crappy person without God.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
02-05-2012, 09:47 AM
(02-05-2012 09:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, I can personally say that I'm a prideful, selfish prick... and, if I was left to my own devices I wouldn't help anyone out if it didn't further my cause.

Recently, God told me to help someone. Because I was obedient, that person was blessed beyond anything that I could do.

That was of God and inspired by God... not by me.

Like I said, I'm a complete douche and a pretty crappy person without God.
Ha! I remember thinking like that.

Fact is, it turns out that without God I'm still the same douche, but I'm much more compassionate from the heart and not because I think I have to be obedient to some outside force. Turns out the voice in my head says the same things "God" said only now I don't feel obligated, but rather free to act with human compassion.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post