Study finds dietary supplement retailers give wrong advice

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-11-2016, 01:08 PM
Study finds dietary supplement retailers give wrong advice
US Consumer Reports has recently published a list of 15 supplement and herbal ingredients that consumers should always avoid:

Aconite (or Wolfs Bane), caffeine powder, chaparral (or ground creosote leaves), coltsfoot, comfrey, germander, greater celandine (a type of poppy), green tea extract powder, kava, lobelia, methylsynephrine (an amphetamine), pennyroyal oil, red yeast rice, usnic acid (from lichen), and yohimbe (used in veterinary medicine).

The magazine also sent sent 43 secret shoppers to Costco, CVS, GNC, Walgreens, Whole Foods, and the Vitamin Shoppe—60 stores in 17 states—where they asked employees (mostly sales staff but also some pharmacists) about products containing several of the ingredients. Most of the employees didn't warn the shoppers about the risks or ask about pre-existing conditions or medications they might be taking, and many gave information that was either misleading or flat-out wrong.

Supplements can make you sick. Consumer Reports Web site, 27 July, 2016.
[Image: quack-doctor.jpg]

Is anybody here taking or has taken any of these CAM so-called medications, or has suffered any negative side-effects after taking them?

Undecided

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
01-11-2016, 01:56 PM
RE: Study finds dietary supplement retailers give wrong advice
I tried red yeast rice for cholesterol reduction and it caused my muscles to lock up so tightly I couldn't climb stairs. I was so weak that I had to lift my legs with my arms to put on my socks and shoes, after only a couple of days. Same reaction to prescription cholesterol medications such as Crestor, so I don't take them. I can handle Cholestoff. I control it with that, exercise and diet. I've never used of the other things listed. Scary shit, when one thinks one is doing good things and ends up sick or dead from side effects.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
01-11-2016, 07:22 PM
I drink powdered green tea (matcha). It's quite delicious. Dunno what green tea extract powder is but it doesn't sound delicious.

#sigh
01-11-2016, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2016 07:38 PM by Chas.)
I'm not surprised.

The amount of myth and pseudo-science wrapped up in herbals is monumental.
The sellers of them are not generally medically knowledgeable, let alone trained.
And nothing is tested or subject to purity, safety, or efficacy testing.

Taking them is Russian Roulette.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-11-2016, 08:07 PM
I do find some supplements useful, but it is indeed important to get your data from actual research and not from the retailer or the manufacturer.

Generally I stick with whey, BCAA, and creatine in small amounts. I suppose the difference is that this is exclusively for fitness related goals, and not as some kind of miracle cure for anything.

If I want caffeine, I'll just have a cup of coffee Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
01-11-2016, 09:26 PM
(01-11-2016 07:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I drink powdered green tea (matcha). It's quite delicious. Dunno what green tea extract powder is but it doesn't sound delicious.

I drink matcha sometimes too. It is good Drooling I drink it for the taste and for no other reason.
01-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Is this the same thing? I drink a couple of these a day.

https://jet.com/product/detail/b17987a47...&gclsrc=ds
01-11-2016, 09:49 PM
(01-11-2016 09:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Is this the same thing? I drink a couple of these a day.

Yup, you can also get it in powder form.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-11-2016, 09:58 PM
(01-11-2016 09:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-11-2016 09:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Is this the same thing? I drink a couple of these a day.

Yup, you can also get it in powder form.

Great! I drink a little beer (my only vice besides coffee, and the occasional snort of some fine distillates Tongue). I'd hate to think that drinking a little tea could kill me. I know what alcohol can do after enough decades, if one overindulges.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
02-11-2016, 05:24 AM
Here's a nice infographic.

[Image: supps.png]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post