Study finds dietary supplement retailers give wrong advice

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-11-2016, 06:31 AM
RE: Study finds dietary supplement retailers give wrong advice
It's like ANY retail business ---

You're not going to find a salesman who tells you that you DON'T need his products...........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-11-2016, 07:02 AM
I currently take vitamin D (+ vitamin C necessary for absorption) and a B group supplement.

Dunno if they actually do anything or not, but there's surprising evidence that Aussies are commonly D deficient due to skin cancer paranoia.

[Image: 527973-china-beach-face-kinis.jpg]Typical Australian Beachwear

..... not really LOL.

Gasp

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
10-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Excluding those with certain allergies or severe deficiencies, why would anyone need these supplements when they could just, y'know... eat food?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
10-11-2016, 08:00 PM
(10-11-2016 07:49 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Excluding those with certain allergies or severe deficiencies, why would anyone need these supplements when they could just, y'know... eat food?

There are supplements that have value, such as saw palmetto to control benign prostate hyperplasia. I also take ginseng and turmeric. I was amazed at how much better I feel and can exercise more vigorously when taking the turmeric. Not so much the ginseng. But I'm not going to increase the dose to see if that helps.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
10-11-2016, 08:03 PM
(10-11-2016 08:00 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 07:49 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Excluding those with certain allergies or severe deficiencies, why would anyone need these supplements when they could just, y'know... eat food?

There are supplements that have value, such as saw palmetto to control benign prostate hyperplasia. I also take ginseng and turmeric. I was amazed at how much better I feel and can exercise more vigorously when taking the turmeric. Not so much the ginseng. But I'm not going to increase the dose to see if that helps.

I also think some people believe the hype. And sometimes it's just a fad and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. But you are right, there are some supplements out there that have value when taken in moderation and as a part of a healthy diet. I take flax oil pills sometimes.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
10-11-2016, 08:40 PM
(10-11-2016 08:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 08:00 PM)Fireball Wrote:  There are supplements that have value, such as saw palmetto to control benign prostate hyperplasia. I also take ginseng and turmeric. I was amazed at how much better I feel and can exercise more vigorously when taking the turmeric. Not so much the ginseng. But I'm not going to increase the dose to see if that helps.

I also think some people believe the hype. And sometimes it's just a fad and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. But you are right, there are some supplements out there that have value when taken in moderation and as a part of a healthy diet. I take flax oil pills sometimes.

I've taken Passonflower for insomnia sometimes. I took it Tuesday night after Hillary lost the election. I still couldn't sleep but I wasn't all knotted up and my heart wasn't pounding. It's like a weak version of Xanax. http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/passionflower

But sometimes I buy it and I don't think the company puts as much Passion flower in it because it doesn't work as well. I've taken passion flower and been completely knocked out by it. My daughter took some once and slept for 20 hours.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-11-2016, 08:49 PM
(08-11-2016 07:02 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I currently take vitamin D (+ vitamin C necessary for absorption) and a B group supplement.

Dunno if they actually do anything or not, but there's surprising evidence that Aussies are commonly D deficient due to skin cancer paranoia.

[Image: 527973-china-beach-face-kinis.jpg]Typical Australian Beachwear

..... not really LOL.

Gasp

It looks like they need a safe word Tongue
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
10-11-2016, 08:50 PM
(10-11-2016 08:40 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 08:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I also think some people believe the hype. And sometimes it's just a fad and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. But you are right, there are some supplements out there that have value when taken in moderation and as a part of a healthy diet. I take flax oil pills sometimes.

I've taken Passonflower for insomnia sometimes. I took it Tuesday night after Hillary lost the election. I still couldn't sleep but I wasn't all knotted up and my heart wasn't pounding. It's like a weak version of Xanax. http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/passionflower

But sometimes I buy it and I don't think the company puts as much Passion flower in it because it doesn't work as well. I've taken passion flower and been completely knocked out by it. My daughter took some once and slept for 20 hours.

Wow I gotta try this stuff Thumbsup
10-11-2016, 09:35 PM
(10-11-2016 08:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 08:40 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've taken Passonflower for insomnia sometimes. I took it Tuesday night after Hillary lost the election. I still couldn't sleep but I wasn't all knotted up and my heart wasn't pounding. It's like a weak version of Xanax. http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/passionflower

Wow I gotta try this stuff Thumbsup

Why?
As D42 points out there are no controls on purity, efficacy, or dosage.

Russian roulette. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2016, 09:40 PM
(10-11-2016 09:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 08:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Wow I gotta try this stuff Thumbsup

Why?
As D42 points out there are no controls on purity, efficacy, or dosage.

Russian roulette. Dodgy

I like to live life dangerously Wink

I would run it by my doctor first Thumbsup