Study of Atheists and Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Study of Atheists and Spirituality
Good afternoon!

I am seeking participants for a study of atheists and spirituality for my master’s thesis at Ball State University. The study involves a survey with questions about spirituality and demographic information that takes approximately 15 minutes to complete. To be eligible to participate, you must be 18 years of age or older, live in the United States, and identify as an atheist.

Click the link below to participate:

https://bsu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_4UgWPv1zzmkTnoN

There is also an optional interview portion that participants may agree to take part in. The interview will take approximately one hour to complete, and will be conducted via telephone or in-person. It includes questions regarding spirituality, atheism, and practices related to these identities.

If you would like more information about the study, please contact:

Investigator Jordan Reinoehl at jmreinoehl@bsu.edu

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2016, 10:41 AM
RE: Study of Atheists and Spirituality
Just once I'd like to see a survey that doesn't have shit to do with spirituality or attending religious services.

Do people really not understand what atheism is?

It also took literally two minutes to complete.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-05-2016, 10:51 AM
what, no questions on baby eating?
31-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Well I did it. The last half was pointless though, as it kind of assumed there was some amount of spirituality to measure. While some atheists may believe in some sort of magic/spirit/whatnot, I do not. There wasn't even a "I don't do any spiritual activities" option in the spiritual activities question.

*sigh*

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
31-05-2016, 11:07 AM
I participated. Took about three minutes.
31-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Too bad I'm an igtheist.
How is it I never heard of Ball State ?
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Not sure what conclusions those questions are going to lead to. "Spirituality" was never defined and, as others have noted, there were questions that needed a "none of the above" option. Options like "I feel a spiritual connection to nature" were tempting but I wouldn't call what I feel "spiritual" in any meaningful sense so the whole survey is biased towards woo.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
31-05-2016, 11:35 AM
(31-05-2016 11:30 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Not sure what conclusions those questions are going to lead to. "Spirituality" was never defined and, as others have noted, there were questions that needed a "none of the above" option. Options like "I feel a spiritual connection to nature" were tempting but I wouldn't call what I feel "spiritual" in any meaningful sense so the whole survey is biased towards woo.

I agree.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
31-05-2016, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2016 12:47 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Not an atheist, but clicked to see what your Informed Consent looked like. Overall good, except you say "HIPPA" compliant. Should be "HIPAA". It stands for The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. It's a rather common mistake; one of I've made before as well....but it didn't make it past a friend looking at my stuff, let alone an IRB. Edit: Otherwise, hope you get the data you need! I'd take it for you if I could; I've got this thing going on since my own grad school days where I take any academic survey I get, out of hopes people will take mine when I need them, as well.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
31-05-2016, 12:31 PM
It took me 10 seconds to complete.

Do you identify as an atheist?
Yes.

Do you live in the United States?
No.

Well, fuck off then! Bye!