Study of Atheists and Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 10:44 AM
RE: Study of Atheists and Spirituality
10 seconds.

Some of the questions only really applied to people that are spiritual. Not necessarily atheist. For example.

The question What spiritual activity do you participate in.

I wrote none. Because like the earlier questions I don't consider myself spiritual. I don't pray, yoga, meditate etc etc. But nothing wasn't an option.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2016, 10:55 AM
As stated in the requirements to participate, I am only studying people in the United States because of the limited scope of this project. Sorry, but thanks for your interest!

I do understand the definition of atheist - it literally means "not theist". There is nothing in that definition that suggests that an atheist can't be spiritual.

Also, I do apologize for the lack of the "none" response option for the spiritual activities. If you don't participate in those activities, you can simply skip that question.

Thanks!
01-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Completed it, not a fan of how it was worded either.

“Do you feel a connection to all life”

Well, not a spiritual connection but I am aware that all life is intertwined in a web. I’m afraid by saying yes the conclusion will be “Hah! You see, you feel a spiritual connection”, which I do not.

I found the questions in great need of clarification.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
01-06-2016, 03:17 PM
(31-05-2016 12:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It took me 10 seconds to complete.

Do you identify as an atheist?
Yes.

Do you live in the United States?
No.

I clicked "Yes" anyway. I hope that he has fun removing the outliers and learns a valuable lesson about the statistical rigor of internet polls of random strangers.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
01-06-2016, 03:18 PM
(31-05-2016 11:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Too bad I'm an igtheist.
How is it I never heard of Ball State ?
Weeping

Never heard of BSU?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.