Study shows Atheists secretly believe in God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Study shows Atheists secretly believe in God
Quote:We examined whether atheists exhibit evidence of emotional arousal when they dare God to cause harm to themselves and their intimates. In Study 1, the participants (16 atheists, 13 religious individuals) read aloud 36 statements of three different types: God, offensive, and neutral. In Study 2 (N = 19 atheists), ten new stimulus statements were included in which atheists wished for negative events to occur. The atheists did not think the God statements were as unpleasant as the religious participants did in their verbal reports. However, the skin conductance level showed that asking God to do awful things was equally stressful to atheists as it was to religious people and that atheists were more affected by God statements than by wish or offensive statements. The results imply that atheists' attitudes towards God are ambivalent in that their explicit beliefs conflict with their affective response.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1...piqmh8r3gt

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2013, 09:00 AM
RE: Study shows Atheists secretly believe in God
[Image: 83a58228.jpg]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 8 users Like WitchSabrina's post
29-11-2013, 09:09 AM
I don't think the title of this thread is warranted, Hafnof.

"In conclusion, the results indicate that even atheists have difficulty daring God to harm themselves and their loved ones. The results do not necessarily mean that atheists do not mean it when they say they do not believe in God or that daring God is emotionally arousing for atheists and religious individuals for similar reasons. Rather, the results suggest that atheists' explicitly stated beliefs and affective reactions regarding God are of opposite valence."

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
29-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Nice. It seems to indicate that the god stuff belongs to a more primitive part of our brain and that non-belief is a result of rational thinking processes.

I think we knew that.

Fortunately, we continue to evolve.

Smile

[+] 12 users Like DLJ's post
29-11-2013, 10:14 AM
I wonder if they used the name of thor or loki and would get the same results. I would never invoke batman, you'd never know exactly what he'd might do.
How about bloody Mary or other such things?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 4 users Like grizzlysnake's post
29-11-2013, 10:36 AM
After having evaluated the paper I can come to one and only one conclusion: Hafnof is a troll. Banana_zorro

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-11-2013, 10:47 AM
(29-11-2013 10:36 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  After having evaluated the paper I can come to one and only one conclusion: Hafnof is a troll. Banana_zorro

Um............ No.

Laughat

29-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:Because emotion and cognition strongly interact and jointly contribute to behaviour (e.g., Pessoa, 2008), the first possibility is the most provocative. In line with Bering's (2006, 2010) argument, atheism may lack cognitive depth in that atheists' explicit beliefs may differ from the implicit reactions that exist outside of conscious awareness. However, atheists may have found using the word God stressful also because others, possibly their friends and family, do take God seriously and believe in his ability to affect the world. Third, although the participants did not rate the idea of God as the reason for the unpleasantness of the statements, appealing to God may nevertheless have been absurd or aversive to atheists, leading to a dissonance-related affect. Fourth, it is possible that although atheists did not currently believe in God, they may have been influenced by their own previous beliefs. Hunsberger and Altemeyer (2006) surveyed American atheists and found that 71 - 76% of them had once believed in God.

This study is SO not saying that Atheists secretly believe in God. That is one or two of four possible interpretations of the data being put forward. I'd add interpretations 5 and 6. 5: that atheists may trend to have a stressful history with the CONCEPT of God (eg, arguments with family, rough deconversions, etc), and it was the association of the concept with this history that provoked the observed reaction. 6: That engaging in the hypothetical provoked a physiological reaction similar to actual belief.

EDIT: And 7, that the result was similar to what you'd get from a polygraph, and that both Christians and atheists who read the God statements were essentially lying.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
29-11-2013, 10:55 AM
This assumes all atheists are the same... They should compare those who've never believed to those who are former believers.

Religion takes a long time to get over, and even then it stays with you for a long time. That's what indoctrination does...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
29-11-2013, 11:08 AM
(29-11-2013 10:55 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  This assumes all atheists are the same... They should compare those who've never believed to those who are former believers.

Religion takes a long time to get over, and even then it stays with you for a long time. That's what indoctrination does...

I often debate this with other non-believers - the concept that IF it took the world-at-large to become so vast a number in believers - doesn't it stand to reason that it will take just as long (if not longer for psychological reasons) for the world-at-large to become non-believers?
And I very much agree with you that atheists/non-believers are not all the same. i suggest that they are just as individual as believers are. Lumping everyone into the same category creates more problems.

[+] 4 users Like WitchSabrina's post