Study shows Atheists secretly believe in God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 01:58 PM
RE: Study shows Atheists secretly believe in God
Balderdash.

Thinking of one's loved ones being harmed triggers an alarm system. God is coincidental.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2013, 02:20 PM
(29-11-2013 01:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  Balderdash.

Thinking of one's loved ones being harmed triggers an alarm system. God is coincidental.

I agree.

They could have had subjects say 'Biggie Smalls" three times into a mirror in a darkened room. The subjects would know Biggie's ghost isn't going to appear and cap their asses but fear portions of the brain would still light up.
[+] 2 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
29-11-2013, 02:30 PM
They should have had a control group with "god" replaced by "pink unicorn".
[+] 1 user Likes black_squirrel's post
29-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Which god?

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 2 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
29-11-2013, 03:24 PM

(29-11-2013 02:30 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  They should have had a control group with "god" replaced by "pink unicorn".

Read the methodology. They controlled with statements of the form "I wish" bad things would happen rather than challenging God to make bad things happen. The results differed significantly.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
29-11-2013, 03:47 PM
To 'believe' or 'disbelieve' is not to categorically know for certain, one way or the other. One can choose to believe (including to doubt) that a higher (or lower) cosmically empowering force exists in both directions.
To say God is ineffable is to admit that such (if it exists) cannot be understood in the potential degrees that possibly make 'it' such.

Scientific normative proofs are limited to secular science which make them very practical, if ethically applied, within our arguably finite existences.Beyond this realm cosmic possibilities, quite apart from religious prognostications, cannot be deemed nul and void, at least in terms of subjective ponderings,
29-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Drinking Beverage So? Drinking Beverage
29-11-2013, 03:56 PM
I bet you'd get the same result asking skeptics and rationalists to deliberately do "unlucky" things...

Just like those protesters who deliberately "overdosed" on homeopathic remedies... Even with the weight of scientific evidence behind them, I bet they were nervous.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
29-11-2013, 04:00 PM
(29-11-2013 03:24 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  

(29-11-2013 02:30 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  They should have had a control group with "god" replaced by "pink unicorn".

Read the methodology. They controlled with statements of the form "I wish" bad things would happen rather than challenging God to make bad things happen. The results differed significantly.
There is no challenge when you say "I wish" so it is not the same. As a control,
we should only change "God" and leave everything else the same. Replace
God by a powerful but fictional person, say, superman and see what happens.
29-11-2013, 04:13 PM
I've been looking for a clip where volunteers were given a photo of their children and a dagger, and were asked to stab the photo... Almost all of them refused, despite the fact that it was nothing more than a picture.

But as always... I can't bloody find it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post