Study shows Atheists secretly believe in God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 10:45 PM
RE: Study shows Atheists secretly believe in God
Looks like classical conditioning to me. Many atheists are former believers and have been conditioned to fear god. Intellectually we know this is ridiculous, but the conditioning remains.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
30-11-2013, 02:16 AM
(29-11-2013 10:36 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  After having evaluated the paper I can come to one and only one conclusion: Hafnof is a troll. Banana_zorro

Someone has to stir the pot ;-)

(29-11-2013 03:24 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Read the methodology. They controlled with statements of the form "I wish" bad things would happen rather than challenging God to make bad things happen. The results differed significantly.

Quite right. That's perhaps the most interesting part of the paper. The biggest criticisms I works level are:
- a possible inherent bias in the authorship that could have skewed results in various undisclosed ways. Many of the questions came from an earlier PhD thesis by one of the authors. The theism or not of the authors is not disclosed I think. That said, atheists have been busy analysing religious belief for some time. The reverse is fair game.
- the size of the sample being fairly small: N=16 and N=19 for the atheists in the two studies.
- the composition of participant groups: the atheist group was selected online based on strength of disagreement with various statements. It isn't clear what biases this introduces or eliminates. It might have picked up high rates of former theists fur example.
- the nature of controls. The "I wish" statement may not be equivalent to the "I dare God to" statements. "I dare Satan to" or "I dare my grandmother to" might be more neutral to the God question.

It's an interesting study overall. Further research is warranted, and yes it may point to genuine residual feeling - whether that be belief, fear, anger, frustration, embarrassment, or other.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
30-11-2013, 03:54 AM
My only fears in asking "God" to harm my loved ones would be:
1. Those loved ones to find out
B. Someone to coincidentally get hurt and others to interpret it as "God" (fuckin tards)

And I know I put 1 and B. The other number is being a bitch, and I couldn't just go with an A, cause 1 is my favorite.
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
30-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Well yeah i secretly do "believe" God in the same sense that i believe in spiderman.
30-11-2013, 09:47 AM
What, somebody finally did a study and figured out we all actually truly believe in god?

Well, fuck...

Who do we have to kill to keep this under wraps?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
30-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Which god? All of them of course.

If you get mad and say "God damn it!" is that an indication that deep down you are a believer?

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 06:34 AM
I'd like to take a minute to call BULLSHIT. I think it would be very difficult to use a test like this and conclude in line with the threads title.

Theists are trained to reject reality. All the observable elements and relationships they have with each other are non-factors to theists. So it's not strange that a theist wouldn't react to perceived danger. An atheist on the other hand realises that they are very mortal. They acknowledge reality and they would react to a perceived danger. Is the perceived threat reasonable? No. Does this make the world view invalid? No.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
01-12-2013, 06:47 AM
What's wrong with you lot that's angry and/or complaining? I love a good comedy!

16 atheist participants. lolololol

01-12-2013, 07:22 AM
(01-12-2013 06:47 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  16 atheist participants. lolololol

Is that a complaint? Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 07:24 AM