Study shows Atheists secretly believe in God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 07:33 AM
RE: Study shows Atheists secretly believe in God
(01-12-2013 07:24 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 07:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Is that a complaint? Consider

Nope. It is a funny statement of fact. Thumbsup

Yeah, having read the study there was nothing to get mad about. Except, of course, for the troll title. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-12-2013, 07:36 AM
(01-12-2013 07:33 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 07:24 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Nope. It is a funny statement of fact. Thumbsup

Yeah, having read the study there was nothing to get mad about. Except, of course, for the troll title. Big Grin

I thought the troll title was the best part Tongue

Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 07:38 AM
(01-12-2013 07:36 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 07:33 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, having read the study there was nothing to get mad about. Except, of course, for the troll title. Big Grin

I thought the troll title was the best part Tongue

Unfortunately it was Hafnof. If it was Blome, we coulda had another hundred-page rantfest. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-12-2013, 07:40 AM
We can always have a rantfest on Hafnof, no?

01-12-2013, 07:48 AM
(01-12-2013 07:40 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  We can always have a rantfest on Hafnof, no?

Hafnof has credibility, and I don't think any of us are bothered by the association. I mean, we could make shit up... Consider

01-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Goddamn that Hafnof! I hear tell he treated a beloved forum member poorly and without just cause! Rabble! Rabble! Rabble!

01-12-2013, 08:12 AM
He has an arrogant siggy!

[Image: torch+mob.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
01-12-2013, 10:20 AM
(30-11-2013 02:16 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 03:24 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Read the methodology. They controlled with statements of the form "I wish" bad things would happen rather than challenging God to make bad things happen. The results differed significantly.

Quite right. That's perhaps the most interesting part of the paper. The biggest criticisms I works level are:
- a possible inherent bias in the authorship that could have skewed results in various undisclosed ways. Many of the questions came from an earlier PhD thesis by one of the authors. The theism or not of the authors is not disclosed I think. That said, atheists have been busy analysing religious belief for some time. The reverse is fair game.
- the size of the sample being fairly small: N=16 and N=19 for the atheists in the two studies.
- the composition of participant groups: the atheist group was selected online based on strength of disagreement with various statements. It isn't clear what biases this introduces or eliminates. It might have picked up high rates of former theists fur example.
- the nature of controls. The "I wish" statement may not be equivalent to the "I dare God to" statements. "I dare Satan to" or "I dare my grandmother to" might be more neutral to the God question.

It's an interesting study overall. Further research is warranted, and yes it may point to genuine residual feeling - whether that be belief, fear, anger, frustration, embarrassment, or other.

I think we agree on all of these points, though I'd say most of these (some level of undisclosed bias in the reasearchers, small sample sizes, questions about how subjects were selected) are things you'd find in almost any early study on a topic in psychology. And yes, the data indicates that the "I wish" statements aren't equivalent to the "I dare God" statements. Finding that out was kinda the point. Tongue Definitely more research is called for. Yay, Science!
01-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Troll title or no, it is a common conceit among Protestant fundamentalist apologists that everyone really "knows" there is a God.

A delusion culturally part of their religion if not an officially enunciated doctrine.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
[+] 1 user Likes Abdul Alhazred's post
04-12-2013, 03:17 PM
(01-12-2013 12:59 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  Troll title or no, it is a common conceit among Protestant fundamentalist apologists that everyone really "knows" there is a God.

A delusion culturally part of their religion if not an officially enunciated doctrine.

That's the indoctrination again... those who do believe simply can't grasp the idea that they might be wrong. Because its been there their entire lives...

Its a bit like when somebody you've known your whole life dies suddenly, for a long time after you literally just can't believe it...

Its extremely hard to imagine someone who's always been there just ceasing to exist, the same goes for God.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]