Studying the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Shocked Studying the Bible
I often hear Christians say that they devote a small portion of their morning to reading or STUDYING the Bible, so that they get centered or grounded before they start their day. Having read the entire Bible cover to cover, I can't understand at all how this would work! Do they just crack open the book to a random page and start reading?

If I read any two consecutive chapters, anywhere in the Bible, I would either be dumbfounded or pissed off. Can anyone who came from a religious background where daily devotionals were part of your routine enlighten me? Particularly if you did it on your own as a way to inspire your day.

If it was guided reading that only covered the few nice things in the Bible, were you not curious what was in the rest of the Bible?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post
30-05-2015, 04:03 PM
RE: Studying the Bible
(30-05-2015 02:58 PM)mgoering Wrote:  I often hear Christians say that they devote a small portion of their morning to reading or STUDYING the Bible, so that they get centered or grounded before they start their day. Having read the entire Bible cover to cover, I can't understand at all how this would work! Do they just crack open the book to a random page and start reading?

If I read any two consecutive chapters, anywhere in the Bible, I would either be dumbfounded or pissed off. Can anyone who came from a religious background where daily devotionals were part of your routine enlighten me? Particularly if you did it on your own as a way to inspire your day.

If it was guided reading that only covered the few nice things in the Bible, were you not curious what was in the rest of the Bible?

I can only speak from my experience as an ex-Christian and other Christians I know. But the way we would do the Bible study is to avoid the O.T. (because we were taught Jesus came and changed all that and therefore, we only needed to and should only focus on the N.T.) We only read passages that were the *good* passages and talked about those. So basically, they were hand-selected either by the church or the person leading the Bible study. And, if anyone ventured into the odd or horrific passages they were usually massaged away with--well, we don't take that literally or God works in mysterious ways. Anyway, this was my experience--others in here could be different...
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
30-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Nowadays I have the KJV on audiobook and I listen to that.

When I was being taught theology we would read only the NT and discuss parables and the works of Jesus. We only went over the passages the father chose for us. So it wasn't an honest reading.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
30-05-2015, 04:36 PM
I can speak from experience to this.

When I was a believer I defined "studying" differently.

A light version or devotional would be reading through a book that had a goal in mind, a focus. The book would probably ask questions at the end of each chapter which would help you focus for the day, or get your mind on god.

A more in-depth version of studying would be closer to the higher criticism methods but not exactly like it. Finding passages that correlated with each other, using a strong's concordance, greek and hebrew study bible tools, etc. The goal here would be to dig down into the meaning of certain words and conflate ideas together. All inspired by the holy spirit of course, Hallelujah!! Riiight. Let's call that a cognitive bias lesson 101. (At least I know that now).

The best way to study the bible is warts and all as Robert Price puts it. I still have a fascination with religion and the bible and people like Ehrman, Price or our own Mark Fulton can attest to one still being enchanted long after they have given up their faith. There's something about digging into religions, especially Christian sects / Judaism that can be pretty cool even though from the top side we know it is a pile of stories that have copious amount of contradictions etc. Getting an idea of how, as a society, our brains have evolved even in the past few thousand years can be pretty seducing and captivating.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
30-05-2015, 04:41 PM
(30-05-2015 04:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(30-05-2015 02:58 PM)mgoering Wrote:  I often hear Christians say that they devote a small portion of their morning to reading or STUDYING the Bible, so that they get centered or grounded before they start their day. Having read the entire Bible cover to cover, I can't understand at all how this would work! Do they just crack open the book to a random page and start reading?

I can only speak from my experience as an ex-Christian and other Christians I know. But the way we would do the Bible study is to avoid the O.T. (because we were taught Jesus came and changed all that and therefore, we only needed to and should only focus on the N.T.) We only read passages that were the *good* passages and talked about those. So basically, they were hand-selected either by the church or the person leading the Bible study. And, if anyone ventured into the odd or horrific passages they were usually massaged away with--well, we don't take that literally or God works in mysterious ways. Anyway, this was my experience--others in here could be different...

Yes that about sums it up. My father(who is still a christian even today) was run out of our old Methodist baptist church for questioning the way our bible study was ran. They would pull from the old and new but when they pulled from the new they would pull parts of the scripture not the entire thing. When he asked why we were basically ran out.
[+] 2 users Like MrKrispy601's post
30-05-2015, 05:18 PM
While I have never done a daily bible study, I would assume it would be done similar to the readings for mass. With any sort of bible study one cannot study the entire thing in a half an hour. All breaks, such as chapters and verses are artificial and the stories often have correlating passages further in the book. As such a bible study would take a small selection and to get the most out of your study you would choose a selection which is clear and we'll defined as well as fairly easy to interpret. It doesn't even have to be a horrible passage for it to be excluded. Most geneologies are probably excluded since in order to draw out meaning from them you have to have a much broader and deeper knowledge of the bible.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
30-05-2015, 05:52 PM
(30-05-2015 02:58 PM)mgoering Wrote:  Particularly if you did it on your own as a way to inspire your day.

I still read the Red Letter Version of the New Testament for inspiration. I only read the red letters.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-05-2015, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2015 01:25 AM by Cosmic Discourse.)
A lot of LDS members use a quad combination scripture, which includes (KJV bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price). These quad combos have a topical guide as well as an index. When I was studying or if someone had questions on a topic, that was my one stop shop, so to speak.

I split my study between traditional reading and cross referencing topics. At the time, most of my hangups with scripture were compartmentalized, while tending to other responsibilities (missionary efforts). Once I was released from my calling (duties), I was able to delve deeper into my concerns. Shortly thereafter, I made the decision to have my records removed (self excommunication), and the rest is history
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Most xtians are full of shit. Best to remember that.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
30-05-2015, 06:52 PM

When I was in church many years ago, I didn't really study the Bible per se. We mostly just read from booklets given by the church. They had just the 'nice' verses from the Bible, after these verses were 'interpretations' on what they meant. After a while, the same craps were repeated.

I wasn't really interested with the rest of the Bible until years later. A couple of very minor events and challenges from a friend motivated me to finally read the rest of it.
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post