Studying the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2015, 09:37 PM
RE: Studying the Bible
Catholic background here. While bible reading was not emphasized nearly to the extent that it would be in protestant denominations, you could use the daily mass readings as your bible study/daily scriptural devotions. The RCC has a liturgical calendar, and the mass readings are selected and set up to follow the liturgical year. For example, the 8 weeks after Easter will have bible readings from Acts throughout this whole time, the pastoral letters (Pauline epistles, 1, 2, 3 Johns, James, Hebrews, etc) and Gospel readings from the last few chapters. In December, the 4 weeks leading up to Christmas will have a heavy dose of the Gospel of Luke, etc.

RCC has a mass every day of the year. On Sundays, there are 3 readings done at mass: 1 from the OT, 1 from the Epistles/Pastoral letters of the NT (or Revelations) and 1 Gospel reading. Mon thru Sat will only be 2 readings: 1 OT or NT reading (except from the Gospels) and a Gospel reading. Forgot, we also have a psalm that will be prayed (sung) at mass too. Following the mass readings and reading those at your home (but still going to mass at least on Sundays) gives you a framework that will be a structured series of devotionals. Add in that the weekday mass readings run on a 2 year cycle and the Sunday mass readings follow a 3 year cycle and you will have a lot of variety to your devotionals. I'm guessing Orthodox, Anglicans and Episcopalians have similar set ups to the RCC.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Jesus christ, how did any of you guys survive all this bible reading and studying? I'm amazed.

Ick.

No

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
31-05-2015, 12:03 AM
(30-05-2015 10:57 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Jesus christ, how did any of you guys survive all this bible reading and studying? I'm amazed.

Ick.

No

I never did much bible reading but now I love it. I want to try and get a major in scripture.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
31-05-2015, 02:35 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2015 02:40 AM by WalkingSnake.)
A whole lot of strategy is involved in guiding Christians early on in childhood on what to pay attention to and what not to. We were never actually forbidden from reading the more controversial parts of the Bible, they just were never a focus. There was never a sermon or Sunday school lesson given about the concubine in Judges who is gangbanged and cut into twelve pieces and scattered across Israel.

Stories in the OT they thought were worthy of our attention:

Adam and Eve - without concentrating on the odd verse that seems to show God is actually afraid of Adam, and that in reality the walking snake got in trouble for simply telling them the truth and ruining it for God

Noah's Ark - Always embelished to say that Noah warned the people about the coming flood and to get on the boat. Guess what? Never happened

Getting a wife in Genesis - all these stories never talked about the apparent incest involved. We talked about Abraham lying about Sara being his sister, without discussing that it was apparently only half a lie. Discussed the story of Jacob and Leah and Rebekkah, without talking about the incest and of course the very Jerry Springerish "Battle of the Vaginas" that happens later on.

Joseph - Just what the hell is a wheeping room? I want one.

Moses - without talking about what happens after the golden calf incident. Never even talked once about the strategy of going into a town, killing everyone, and keeping the virgin girls for yourself. Correction: we talked a bit about the golden snake, which is used in the New Testament in comparison to what Jesus did for us.

Joshua - Battle of Jericho. And nothing else. We don't need to talk about the mass genocide.

Judges - Samson (I haven't gotten to this part in my own skeptical reading yet, but I'm sure this was either embellished for us or things left out). Gideon (same feeling here, I just barely started Judges). Elijah and Elisha. Anyone or anything else? Well not really. We definitely didn't need to talk about the story I'm just now hearing about (haven't read it yet since it's toward the end), that would make Freddy Kruger go, "Dude... wtf."

Beyond that, I'm sure I'll find things were embellished or edited. I'm half tempted to head back to church and ask, "Hey guys, uh, what the hell? Why didn't we read any of this other crap?"
02-06-2015, 09:11 AM
I find the Mormon faith fascinating. I was so impressed with the Mormon Tabernacle when we visited SLC in my youth and I loved to listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas album. But now, after studying what the faith is all about, I'm just mystified by how many adult Mormons buy in to such easily disputable nonsense.

My contention is that, if there are so many gullible Mormons and Christian Scientists, given the fact that these religions are relatively young, it explains why the majority of the world's people are entrenched in these other ancient religions: Christianity, Judeaism and Islam.
02-06-2015, 09:22 AM
I guess I "study" a little different.

I ain't studying to get all fluffy and feel good. I actually read the scary parts of the Bible.

But yeah, my readings consist of me trying to reconcile my faith and/or trying to prove myself wrong... which, I guess, is why my faith has become unshakable.

meh

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
02-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Before I read the entire Bible cover to cover a year ago, I believed what every minister, pastor or priest told me: God is love, God is merciful, God is just, God is compassionate, God is amazing! Wow, did these "professional" clergy not read the entire Bible themselves? How did they come to such a conclusion.

For years I poked around the Bible myself trying to find these amazing things about God that everyone claimed to be true. I went to the occasional Bible study and pretended with the rest of them that what we were reading made sense and was relative to our lives. Deep down I was always skeptical. Finally I said, "Fuck it, I'll read the whole thing word for word so I can't miss anything!"

I wasn't prepared for how shocked I would to read about such a petty, vengeful, cruel, jealous little prick of a God that was in the OT. But then, just as I was about to give up, God himself, in the form of his own son comes down to earth to save the day! Woohoo!! Oh wait, never mind. He introduces the notion of an eternal, firey hell, that he will lovingly keep us from if we only kiss his ass our entire life. What a guy!

No amount of interpreting, or twisting the words or reading a more authentic translation, or explanation by any Christian apologist would make me believe the crap in that book. Utter nonsense front to back.