Stuff about thesim.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Stuff about thesim.
This thread is to talk about ideas in theism, so, first, I start out with a question. (I copied pasted this from my earlier posts)
Does your physical body enter heaven/hell, or is it your soul? Because you can't have pain as a metaphysical body unless you have a type of cell called "pain receptors" which are responsible for pain and are embedded in your skin. Pain's primary function is to tell you where your body is damaged. Since going to heaven/hell I don't see a need for your body to tell itself it's damaged if you never die or get "Hurt." Bronze age lunatics must have thought that pain was spiritual, when really it's a mechanism for getting you to pay attention to bodily damages and try to heal them or treat them.
Next, I have to talk about Occam's Razor.
While many theists have that old "Occam's Razor" argument, I wonder, is their god really simpler than The scientific view of the creation of the universe?
It seems Christians, who use this argument the most, believe in a god who loves everyone, but hates you if you disagree. Also refer to the Epicurus paradox. With those two examples, it seems that their god is somewhat complex, being omnipotent but not being able to erase all evil, or sin-hating, and yet he doesn't erase all evil. Also, even if their god is SOMEHOW simpler, Occam's Razor Goes:
The razor states that one should proceed to simpler theories until simplicity can be traded for greater explanatory power. The simplest available theory need not be most accurate. Philosophers also point out that the exact meaning of simplest may be nuanced.
Reed the last sentence. NUANCED. That means that it could just not entirely mean simple.
If you can't understand the directly quoted theory, here is a summary:
The simplest hypothesis is usually the right one, until there is an explanation. Even if the simplest isn't accurate.
However, Occam's Razor isn't always right. Like with Spntaneous Generation.
If you don't want to read the link, spontaneous generation was used once long ago as a scientific theory, which explained why meat/other things decay and flies and other scavenging animals and bacteria (insects, bacteria, etc.) just "appear" when meat rots or is left in the open. It said that flies and whatnot simply appeared, or spontaneously generated. This was one of the simplest ideas to figure this out, until someone proved it wrong by putting food in a canister.
So, like I said Occam's razor is not always right.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
17-02-2014, 04:20 PM
RE: Stuff about thesim.
[Edit]
Sorry.

17-02-2014, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 04:28 PM by donotwant.)
Until god hypothesis is backed up by evidence it will remain just a fantasy.
17-02-2014, 11:40 PM
a. Not all theists believe in heaven and hell, but of those that do, there are countless variations in these beliefs. It's almost like they were just making it up as they go.

b. Occam's Razor is exactly that. It's a tool to cut away the unnecessary. It's right vastly more often than wrong, but it is not infallible. In the example you gave of spontaneous generation, I don't think that's really an example of its application, since saying "flies and maggots just appear" is not an actual explanation - it's the same as saying "It's magic". There's still some implied hidden variable that causes flies and maggots, and that hidden variable violates the Razor.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
18-02-2014, 09:07 AM
(17-02-2014 11:40 PM)toadaly Wrote:  a. Not all theists believe in heaven and hell, but of those that do, there are countless variations in these beliefs. It's almost like they were just making it up as they go.

b. Occam's Razor is exactly that. It's a tool to cut away the unnecessary. It's right vastly more often than wrong, but it is not infallible. In the example you gave of spontaneous generation, I don't think that's really an example of its application, since saying "flies and maggots just appear" is not an actual explanation - it's the same as saying "It's magic". There's still some implied hidden variable that causes flies and maggots, and that hidden variable violates the Razor.

A. You're right. But I wouldn't get how you could feel pain in hell unless your physical body existed.

18-02-2014, 09:14 AM
(18-02-2014 09:07 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  A. You're right. But I wouldn't get how you could feel pain in hell unless your physical body existed.

Why Don't Scientists Fear Hell?

Probably because they understand how fire actually works.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
18-02-2014, 09:40 AM
(18-02-2014 09:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-02-2014 09:07 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  A. You're right. But I wouldn't get how you could feel pain in hell unless your physical body existed.

Why Don't Scientists Fear Hell?

Probably because they understand how fire actually works.

Yabut, those ignorant scientists don't know how spiritual fire works. Checkmate atheists. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Internet "True" story so this in all likelihood never happened but...

http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/cool...ns-man.jpg

[Image: ls6JOyU.png]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-02-2014, 11:25 AM
I didn't read the whole thing over, but the ending was killer.