Stuff pastors say

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Stuff pastors say
Those who have seen my posts may remember that I am still "in the closet" in terms of my lack of belief in a higher power. Because of my continued closet inhabitance, I must go to church with my family most weekends to keep up the ruse. It actually provides a fair amount of entertainment. A great example came yesterday, when the pastor at this church explained to everyone why the world hates Christians. First off, he's working from a premise that Christians are a persecuted minority. I don't have any hard evidence to dispute this, but living in Nashville, TN, I don't know anyone who would claim to not be a Christian.

Secondly, I don't know why he thinks "the world" hates Christians. I have seen plenty of open atheists who, while they obviously disagree with Christians, have plenty of good things to say about Christians. The creator of this site is a great example.

Lastly, here is the main point of my post. This pastor's claim was that those who hate Christians do so because Christians claim to have the exclusive way to the afterlife. Based on my experience (which I admit is only anecdotal), this is way off base. Most people I've heard talk about the subject who have any hate or anger towards Christians do so because Christians seem to think they have a divine right to use government to impose their belief system and "values" on everyone else. If Christians would just leave everyone else alone, I believe there would be a LOT less hate and anger directed towards them.

Sorry for the lengthy Monday morning post, but I don't have a lot of other outlets to vent these thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like dogerdog's post
02-06-2014, 09:04 AM
RE: Stuff pastors say
Oohhhh..... Nashville. I am so sorry. Worst city for that in Tennessee. My family lives in Memphis and it's not horrible for non-Christians there.

Christians like to play the persecution card. It makes them feel good. Most atheists and non-religious couldn't care less about moderate mainstream Christians.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
02-06-2014, 09:04 AM
(02-06-2014 08:59 AM)dogerdog Wrote:  Those who have seen my posts may remember that I am still "in the closet" in terms of my lack of belief in a higher power. Because of my continued closet inhabitance, I must go to church with my family most weekends to keep up the ruse. It actually provides a fair amount of entertainment. A great example came yesterday, when the pastor at this church explained to everyone why the world hates Christians. First off, he's working from a premise that Christians are a persecuted minority. I don't have any hard evidence to dispute this, but living in Nashville, TN, I don't know anyone who would claim to not be a Christian.

Secondly, I don't know why he thinks "the world" hates Christians. I have seen plenty of open atheists who, while they obviously disagree with Christians, have plenty of good things to say about Christians. The creator of this site is a great example.

Lastly, here is the main point of my post. This pastor's claim was that those who hate Christians do so because Christians claim to have the exclusive way to the afterlife. Based on my experience (which I admit is only anecdotal), this is way off base. Most people I've heard talk about the subject who have any hate or anger towards Christians do so because Christians seem to think they have a divine right to use government to impose their belief system and "values" on everyone else. If Christians would just leave everyone else alone, I believe there would be a LOT less hate and anger directed towards them.

Sorry for the lengthy Monday morning post, but I don't have a lot of other outlets to vent these thoughts.

Vent away!

You know, it's quite possible for a Christian to bring up all the points you did against the pastor's sermon, and even call him out on a "false witness" basis. I'm not going to suggest you do this, as it might jeopardize your closeted status. Just pointing out that the guy's a failure even by the standards of his own religion.
02-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Technically, christies are a minority.

[Image: world_religions_pie_chart.gif]

Not persecuted enough, IMHO.

Drinking Beverage

02-06-2014, 09:15 AM
(02-06-2014 09:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Technically, christies are a minority.

Drinking Beverage

Actually by that chart they would be a plurality as the largest block. Granted that chart needs to be broken down as very few people are actually christian but some ultra specific (and the only True) flavor of christian. SO you would need the followers of Cathol in 1 the lutherans the baptists the shakers the quakers the candlestick makers etc.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
02-06-2014, 10:59 AM
I dislike any xtian who tells me he's a xtian.

Keep your bullshit to yourself and we'll get along.

In that sense, your pastor is right because he sounds like one who has to annoy the living piss out of everyone else with how fucking holy he is.
02-06-2014, 02:56 PM
(02-06-2014 09:04 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 08:59 AM)dogerdog Wrote:  Those who have seen my posts may remember that I am still "in the closet" in terms of my lack of belief in a higher power. Because of my continued closet inhabitance, I must go to church with my family most weekends to keep up the ruse. It actually provides a fair amount of entertainment. A great example came yesterday, when the pastor at this church explained to everyone why the world hates Christians. First off, he's working from a premise that Christians are a persecuted minority. I don't have any hard evidence to dispute this, but living in Nashville, TN, I don't know anyone who would claim to not be a Christian.

Vent away!

You know, it's quite possible for a Christian to bring up all the points you did against the pastor's sermon, and even call him out on a "false witness" basis. I'm not going to suggest you do this, as it might jeopardize your closeted status. Just pointing out that the guy's a failure even by the standards of his own religion.

Believe me, that has crossed my mind. But I really try to be careful because I have a tendency to be critical of many things I hear at church and sometimes it's hard to filter it.
02-06-2014, 02:59 PM

Drinking Beverage

I like the 'not persecuted enough' comment. BTW, is that chart worldwide, national, or something else?
02-06-2014, 03:02 PM
(02-06-2014 09:04 AM)natachan Wrote:  Oohhhh..... Nashville. I am so sorry. Worst city for that in Tennessee. My family lives in Memphis and it's not horrible for non-Christians there.

Christians like to play the persecution card. It makes them feel good. Most atheists and non-religious couldn't care less about moderate mainstream Christians.

Yes, there's a church on every corner here. Which makes it all the more baffling that they feel persecuted. Of course the new Christian definition of persecution is "not being allowed to bully as many people as they used to".
[+] 2 users Like dogerdog's post
02-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Stuff pastors say
(02-06-2014 02:59 PM)dogerdog Wrote:  

Drinking Beverage

I like the 'not persecuted enough' comment. BTW, is that chart worldwide, national, or something else?

Worldwide.

The US is:
[Image: 4u5ureta.jpg]

[Image: qaraqy4e.jpg]

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 8 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post