Stuff pastors say

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2014, 06:23 AM
RE: Stuff pastors say
The one piece of scripture I've heard quoted by pastors is about it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven...then he drives off in his Escalade at the end of the sermon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
09-06-2014, 02:07 PM
(09-06-2014 06:23 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  The one piece of scripture I've heard quoted by pastors is about it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven...then he drives off in his Escalade at the end of the sermon.

LOL!Laugh out load
That's the truth! The last pastor I had had a shiny new truck. He would quote verses like that too. And then I found out he makes 6 figures! It makes me glad that I was always bad about tithing.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
09-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Id say Knoxville is worse than Nashville if strictly talking the big TN cities, although there are some really terrible smaller towns all around and in between the big TN cities. I've lived all over TN and recently left Clarksville....another crappy TN town.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
10-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Got another small nugget from church this weekend. This week is the annual "Vacation Bible School" (VBS) at this church. The pastor, in trying to convince us how we need to support VBS, told the congregation that 60% of all professions of belief at Baptist churches come from VBS. In other words, over half of the new Christians being made every year are coming from brainwashing kids. If any of you haven't experienced VBS before, it is a total brainwashing. These kids have all kinds of bible verses drilled into them, songs to memorize, and are surrounded by people all hammering away the same "repent or burn" message. So it makes you wonder, if a majority of Christians truly do come from brainwashing events like VBS, doesn't that lend credence to it all being a bunch of bunk?
11-06-2014, 09:02 AM
I'm amazed at the hypocrisy of your typical non-denominational Christian and Baptist pastors. A number of them are true believers, but many of them are there to make their money just like everyone else while making you feel guilty for keeping yours. Then you have the others that are really out there and preach about a "prosperity gospel" where you can get a rich harvest, if you plant a seed - meaning, if you donate a grand or 2 to his church, God will reward you with $10K in the future (or more).
11-06-2014, 03:48 PM
(10-06-2014 03:03 PM)dogerdog Wrote:  Got another small nugget from church this weekend. This week is the annual "Vacation Bible School" (VBS) at this church. The pastor, in trying to convince us how we need to support VBS, told the congregation that 60% of all professions of belief at Baptist churches come from VBS. In other words, over half of the new Christians being made every year are coming from brainwashing kids. If any of you haven't experienced VBS before, it is a total brainwashing. These kids have all kinds of bible verses drilled into them, songs to memorize, and are surrounded by people all hammering away the same "repent or burn" message. So it makes you wonder, if a majority of Christians truly do come from brainwashing events like VBS, doesn't that lend credence to it all being a bunch of bunk?

Ick, I use to teach VBS. Weeping

You are correct! It is a systematic brainwashing process. We tell these babies that jesus loves them, and sing songs to further embed that into their little minds. No

What we don't teach them, is that god drowned every-single-child, in the flood, sent bears to rip apart children...for simply behaving like children, killed all the first born because god was pissed at pharaoh, allowed the death of all of jobs children....because of an ego trip between him and satan, and finally sent armies of men into cities to viciously slaughter everything breathing....at times specifically naming babies/children.

Hosea 13:16
Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Doesn't it just make you feel all warm and tingly inside?! Angry

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
14-06-2014, 05:33 AM
I have one:

I'm openly atheist but I have to go to church with my family "as long as I still live under their roof."

On Easter sunday this year, the pastor at my family's church was talking about the return of Jesus during the end of days, and this made me realize that either the pastor is dumb or he's just saying things to get the church hyped up. He was talking about how Jesus would come back as a king on a horse with the sword tongue and all that, but the dumb part is the names on him, you know the three names on him and the third one we can't read. He said that when Jesus came back, soldiers will try to take him down, but won't be able to because they can't read his third name, and in my head all I could think was "so I supposed in every war ever fought people wore name tags or introduced themselves." He also said that they would try to be tactical and circle around to attack Jesus from the back, only to find out that he has no back Facepalm And when they start launched missiles at them at Jesus the missiles would stop and recognize that it was Jesus and stop in their tracks, as if they have a conscience, his explanation was that the missiles would stop because without Jesus stamp of approval man could have never built those missiles, and I thought "Oh so we're throwing free will out the window too, cause I could've sworn that you guys said that that was important to Gawd."

What's funny is that they ate it all up, the pastor was yelling this bs like it was some powerful words and the church got so lively, with "amens' being shouted at every corner.
14-06-2014, 06:47 AM
(14-06-2014 05:33 AM)Zephiel16 Wrote:  I have one:

I'm openly atheist but I have to go to church with my family "as long as I still live under their roof."

On Easter sunday this year, the pastor at my family's church was talking about the return of Jesus during the end of days, and this made me realize that either the pastor is dumb or he's just saying things to get the church hyped up. He was talking about how Jesus would come back as a king on a horse with the sword tongue and all that, but the dumb part is the names on him, you know the three names on him and the third one we can't read. He said that when Jesus came back, soldiers will try to take him down, but won't be able to because they can't read his third name, and in my head all I could think was "so I supposed in every war ever fought people wore name tags or introduced themselves." He also said that they would try to be tactical and circle around to attack Jesus from the back, only to find out that he has no back Facepalm And when they start launched missiles at them at Jesus the missiles would stop and recognize that it was Jesus and stop in their tracks, as if they have a conscience, his explanation was that the missiles would stop because without Jesus stamp of approval man could have never built those missiles, and I thought "Oh so we're throwing free will out the window too, cause I could've sworn that you guys said that that was important to Gawd."

What's funny is that they ate it all up, the pastor was yelling this bs like it was some powerful words and the church got so lively, with "amens' being shouted at every corner.

Yes, volume is directly proportional to truth. Rolleyes

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?