Stunning Presentation of War Figures.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Video Stunning Presentation of War Figures.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Kestrel's post
03-06-2015, 07:02 PM
RE: Stunning Presentation of War Figures.
(02-06-2015 11:59 AM)Kestrel Wrote:  

That was amazing. I've sent it out to several people I know. Thanks!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
03-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Isn't it amazing how symbols can stir emotion.

Just watching those red dots appear on the black background choked me up.

Phew!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-06-2015, 09:28 PM
That was interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

03-06-2015, 10:07 PM
The figure of 500,000 Germans dying at Stalingrad is grossly inflated. Best sources put it at 275,000 - 300,000.

The point, that the USSR did the lion's share of the killing, is apt. But they ought to get the details right.
08-06-2015, 06:31 PM
That was cool, but, except for the and, grim.

The Russian numbers are pretty consistent with historical estimates. Stalin just threw people at the Germans. The Russian/Soviet view of history is they single handedly one WW2 and the western front was almost a non event. I think that grossly underestimates the impact the 2 front war had on Germany, but when you look at how many Russians died you can see where they are coming from.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
08-06-2015, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 07:02 PM by yakherder.)
True, there was fighting in Africa and air raids against England, but continental Europe was almost completely under German control. The 2nd front didn't really emerge until near the end. All involved did play an important role, but creating the true 2nd front was a strategic move that basically involved letting Russia get hammered until they were on the brink of defeat, but to jump in and save the day, so to speak, right before it actually fell. It was recognized that, post war, we wanted Russia as weak as possible, but also acknowledged that we couldn't win the war if Russia were actually defeated and Germany were allowed to re-deploy those troops against us and focus on the western front. The game, then, was to pile up our troops and equipment and train for the inevitable invasion in relative safely out of reach, let Germany and Russia kill as many of each other as possible, then to hit Germany like a runaway freight train when the time came, leaving the U.S. and the U.K. with the upper hand over both.

The whole time Russia was making pleas for help and being essentially ignored. There was a lot of bitterness, and probably still is, because of that.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-06-2015, 07:17 PM
(08-06-2015 06:46 PM)yakherder Wrote:  True, there was fighting in Africa and air raids against England, but continental Europe was almost completely under German control. The 2nd front didn't really emerge until near the end. All involved did play an important role, but creating the true 2nd front was a strategic move that basically involved letting Russia get hammered until they were on the brink of defeat, but to jump in and save the day, so to speak, right before it actually fell. It was recognized that, post war, we wanted Russia as weak as possible, but also acknowledged that we couldn't win the war if Russia were actually defeated and Germany were allowed to re-deploy those troops against us and focus on the western front. The game, then, was to pile up our troops and equipment and train for the inevitable invasion in relative safely out of reach, let Germany and Russia kill as many of each other as possible, then to hit Germany like a runaway freight train when the time came, leaving the U.S. and the U.K. with the upper hand over both.

The whole time Russia was making pleas for help and being essentially ignored. There was a lot of bitterness, and probably still is, because of that.

Indeed, and Stalin wasn't dumb to the game. In the fall of 1943, he sent peace feelers to the Germans, under the belief that Overlord or another operation of its caliber was not going to happen. Even at the Teheran Conference, he was skeptical of Allied intentions, pressing them to name a commander for Overlord by arguing that a plan without a commander was not really a plan at all -- which is pretty much correct, in terms of doctrine.

I wouldn't say Russia's pleas were being ignored. But the Western allies surely had no compunctions about letting them take the brunt of the Wehrmacht.
24-06-2015, 09:44 PM
What a great video to share. Thank you. It reminds me to tell the next "doom" fan to rely less on his subjective view, & take a look at our data on reality.