Stupid Adults!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2012, 10:57 AM
RE: Stupid Adults!
(06-10-2012 06:20 AM)Leela Wrote:  4. Yes, there are some stupid adults! Especially those who seem to be immune to information. Especially those who have their set of opinions and no matter what new information or evidence arises they will argue it away or simply ignore. But that is not an adult desease, there are enough teens out there who are exactly the same way.

Very true. And therein lies progress, the younger generations often have insights the previous generation didn't, and that applies to you and your parents and your grandparents etc etc. That is social evolution, and it's very important, but it does create friction between generations and always has.

The skill I wish I had had as teenager is to seperate the wheat from the chaff. To look at an adult and realize that while they may be stupid on some levels, they also have something to teach on other levels. It's not all black and white, people are not either stupid or smart. They are mixes. They may be stuck in an old mindset, but also some of their experiences are valid and useful if you accept them.

I myself never listened to my parents when I was 15 to 20 years old or thereabouts, and I could have gotten myself killed a few times. I was just damn lucky, but I thought that proved that I was right.

There is a reason why the young are sent to fight wars, other than physical strength. You don't really understand death then, and you take risks that are erring on the bad side. I know, I know, you do think you understand, but believe me, there are physical, scientifically proven reasons why you really don't understand. Your brain is not finished developing, and the area that controls risk taking is part of the undeveloped section. If you didn't think you understood, it wouldn't be so. Yes, a paradox. Live a few more years and see.

That is one example where adults can help. Not saying that they are all helpful in that way, but youth ignores the ones who are, and that is part of the syndrome.

It's all the way it's supposed to be, because you teenagers are the ones who are going to change the world for the better. You need the feeling of strength and intelligence and -yes - superiority to pave the way for ongoing social evolution.

Just don't forget that those who walked that path before you felt the same way and did the same thing. Each generation brought humanity a step closer to where you are today, and you will bring it another step forward.

IMO teenagers are the most important people on the planet, they will point society in a new direction, and while you are struggling with conformity and puberty and finishing brain development, you are also forming the basis of what you will accomplish in the future - for everyone's benefit.

Just look at society in the countries that are stuck in the dark ages, such as muslims. All the things that make life better here for us were achieved by the young generations that came before you.

So, don't knock what your parents did, even if you don't see how they helped things along. Very soon it will be your turn, you will run the world, and there will be young people watching and judging and thinking you are stupid and stuck in an old era they want to do away with....and all of us contribute to social evolution in this way.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-10-2012, 12:20 PM
(06-10-2012 10:57 AM)Dom Wrote:  There is a reason why the young are sent to fight wars, other than physical strength. You don't really understand death then, and you take risks that are erring on the bad side. I know, I know, you do think you understand, but believe me, there are physical, scientifically proven reasons why you really don't understand. Your brain is not finished developing, and the area that controls risk taking is part of the undeveloped section. If you didn't think you understood, it wouldn't be so. Yes, a paradox. Live a few more years and see.

The reason young people fight wars is because the old people start them. Wink
if anyone takes this comment serious, i will skullfuck your soul

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
06-10-2012, 12:29 PM
(06-10-2012 12:20 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 10:57 AM)Dom Wrote:  There is a reason why the young are sent to fight wars, other than physical strength. You don't really understand death then, and you take risks that are erring on the bad side. I know, I know, you do think you understand, but believe me, there are physical, scientifically proven reasons why you really don't understand. Your brain is not finished developing, and the area that controls risk taking is part of the undeveloped section. If you didn't think you understood, it wouldn't be so. Yes, a paradox. Live a few more years and see.

The reason young people fight wars is because the old people start them. Wink

No, that is correct, but the young ones are sent to fight because their risk management center isn't fully functional yet.

Personally I think if there is a war, the rulers should play a game of chess to see who wins.

I don't have a soul so I am not scared Smile

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-10-2012, 12:58 PM
(06-10-2012 12:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  Personally I think if there is a war, the rulers should play a game of chess to see who wins.
That reminds me of the trailer for Age of Empires 2. Sweet memories.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
06-10-2012, 01:04 PM
(06-10-2012 12:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 12:20 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The reason young people fight wars is because the old people start them. Wink

No, that is correct, but the young ones are sent to fight because their risk management center isn't fully functional yet.

Personally I think if there is a war, the rulers should play a game of chess to see who wins.

War is chess, only in real life.

Poonjab
06-10-2012, 04:25 PM
(06-10-2012 01:04 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 12:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  No, that is correct, but the young ones are sent to fight because their risk management center isn't fully functional yet.

War is chess, only in real life.

That's why I think it would be a lot more sensible to just let the two combatants sit down for a game of chess and be done with it.

06-10-2012, 05:35 PM
(06-10-2012 04:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 01:04 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  War is chess, only in real life.

That's why I think it would be a lot more sensible to just let the two combatants sit down for a game of chess and be done with it.

There are a lot of things that we should want, but I feel that wanting such a thing would be a waste of time. Undecided

Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
06-10-2012, 06:39 PM
(06-10-2012 05:35 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 04:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  That's why I think it would be a lot more sensible to just let the two combatants sit down for a game of chess and be done with it.

There are a lot of things that we should want, but I feel that wanting such a thing would be a waste of time. Undecided

Only if you spend time on it....

06-10-2012, 06:51 PM
If you do not spend time on obtaining what you want, you probably don't want it that badly.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
06-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Hmmm... Since we are going all profound, I think I know a reason why countries go to war, and not play chess.

One: The Leader Might not play because the other leader has a better intellect.

Two: In chess, the pieces are equal, in War, each country has its own number of men, which can be a huge advantage, and disadvantage. Wars are decided by many things, including the number of men.

Three: Maybe they hate the game.

Three was said in jest.

Now. Since we are going profound, I have a quote of my own that I follow.

"Whatever is worth loving for... Is worth suffering(dying) for." Just a thought on something... Might add that in a story.

It's an orginal quote... I think.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The holier then thou tone of adults. Metazoa Zeke 12 216 09-04-2014 02:48 PM
Last Post: NL Atheist
  Stupid Teens! tazmin98 32 2,783 27-04-2013 09:21 PM
Last Post: My proboscis sucks
  Should adults be allowed view this section? Magoo 61 2,621 30-11-2012 06:54 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist