Stupid Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 10:44 AM
RE: Stupid Atheist
(22-11-2013 10:40 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:35 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I can be Extremely abrasive and the sweetest person you'd ever want in your life -

Fucking Bitch, I'm totally hot for you now. Drooling

get in line............. you have no idea. Worship Slaves

(Thumbsup I am joking of course)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
22-11-2013, 10:49 AM
(22-11-2013 09:59 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  This has probably already been discussed at length, but I need to make a comment about the assertion that atheism isn't a faith. I think it's a dumb thing to say if the person saying it believes that atheist have a "belief" in science. I think it's ok to lump atheism together with faiths when we are classifying the population. Such as:

"Hey, is Jim a Christian? I never hear him talking about church."
"No, he's an theist."

Well, then let's lump all the car owners together.
"Hey, does Jim drive a Honda? I never see him in it."
"No, Jim doesn't own a car."

Atheism is the lack of a belief, it is not a belief. Jim is not a car owner.

Quote:But to address the fact that there are idiotic atheists on the internet; there are bad apples in every bunch. I personally think a "true" atheist is someone who has given religious claims a lot of thought and came to the conclusion that they are illogical. I think some people just hop on the atheist bandwagon for surface reasons, such as being interested in someone who is also an atheist. Atheism is subjected to the same idiocy that any other group is. Human nature is human nature.

A True Atheist™ does not have to have given religion much thought at all, only enough to see the lack of evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2013, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2013 11:05 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
(22-11-2013 10:35 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:24 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  [snip] You don't want to be insulting, [snip]

Why not?

(1) everybody should be allowed their own style. If they are abrasive chances are they know it and do it anyway. I can be Extremely abrasive and the sweetest person you'd ever want in your life - totally depends on circumstances or the point I need to make. Calculating I am at all times.
(2) who says we all have to be PC all the damn time? Please tell me that this place isn't like that because I left a site due to its whitewashed neo-atheism and PCism....handling of everyone for their delicate sensibilities and what not.
*gag* I need to know I've joined a site where if I need to say "FUCK" I can do so.
(3) Over time eloquence has become equal to level of intelligence and I call Bullshit on that. That's a societal issue and not any evidence of personal intelligence. In fact, I've known some pretty smart cookies in my day that Curse like Sailors because they are sick and tired of reading or running into stupid day in and day out.

just sayin............
Was supposed to be my 2 cents worth - think you got 50 cents instead. my bad

By "You don't want to be insulting" I actually meant "me" or "I" in this particular case. I think they are insulted simply because we don't believe in their "god", so to some degree I don't think it really matters what we say. They will be insulted. I just try to draw out the insult long enough to try to effect some change.

For example, I have a coworker whom I have been "working on" for over a year now. She was a tough one, and at times I really, REALLY wanted to just say, "you are the dumbest person ever to walk the face of the earth!"...but I would realize how that might end the conversation, and what little progress I might be able to make.

In the course of a year, due to my "working on her", she went from believing the bible is one hundred percent literally true. Anything confusing was simply because of translation errors or human inability to understand the nature of "God", but it was all literal regardless. To now, where she doesn't believe Noah's ark happened, or that there really was a talking snake or donkey, or that they was a literal creation, with a first man and woman, or that the earth is only a few thousands of years old, but rather accepts that the earth is very old, (I don't think she yet has her mind wrapped around the numbers, but she gets it) accepts evolution, including human evolution (that was a hard one, and am still working on the details with her, because she still only lets human evolution go back so far) she now believes most of the stories in the bible are just morality stories, not intended as actual events that actually happened. She is now fighting to stop a Christian after school program in her school, and is against teaching creationism in school (though I doubt she's at the point that she would bother to do anything about it).

I consider had I told her, over those many MANY times I've wanted to, that she's a complete moron and has the intelligence of a gnat, I never would have made any of this progress with her. And she has kids that she's raising that could either go out and continue to infect the rest of the population with their mother's nonsense, or, now, go out there with a great deal of that nonsense tempered.

For me personally, that is why I take that approach. But I get being abrasive. I has it's place for sure.

22-11-2013, 11:03 AM
(22-11-2013 10:35 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:24 AM)Raptor Jesusdateline='1385137460' Wrote:  [snip] You don't want to be insulting, [snip]

Why not?

(1) everybody should be allowed their own style. If they are abrasive chances are they know it and do it anyway. I can be Extremely abrasive and the sweetest person you'd ever want in your life - totally depends on circumstances or the point I need to make. Calculating I am at all times.
(2) who says we all have to be PC all the damn time? Please tell me that this place isn't like that because I left a site due to its whitewashed neo-atheism and PCism....handling of everyone for their delicate sensibilities and what not.
*gag* I need to know I've joined a site where if I need to say "FUCK" I can do so.
(3) Over time eloquence has become equal to level of intelligence and I call Bullshit on that. That's a societal issue and not any evidence of personal intelligence. In fact, I've known some pretty smart cookies in my day that Curse like Sailors because they are sick and tired of reading or running into stupid day in and day out. Also, I'd like to confirm that this site doesn't do that *Gang* opinion thing. I'm all for friends defending one another BUT..... I hope if One friend takes exception to someone's style that other *friends* don't chime in for the sake of chiming in. I DO expect high intelligence and choices from atheists. (I could be wrong about doing that lol people are people)

just sayin............
You can say whatever the fuck you want here but be prepared to defend your shit, criticisms is our life's blood, nothing is safeBig Grin

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
22-11-2013, 11:07 AM
(22-11-2013 10:57 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:35 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Why not?

(3) Over time eloquence has become equal to level of intelligence and I call Bullshit on that. That's a societal issue and not any evidence of personal intelligence. In fact, I've known some pretty smart cookies in my day that Curse like Sailors because they are sick and tired of reading or running into stupid day in and day out.

just sayin............

By "You don't want to be insulting" I actually meant "me" or "I" in this particular case. I think they are insulted simply because we don't believe in their "god", so to some degree I don't think it really matters what we say. They will be insulted. I just try to draw out the insult long enough to try to effect some change.

For example, I have a coworker whom I have been "working on" for over a year now. She was a tough one, and at times I really, REALLY wanted to just say, "you are the dumbest person ever to walk the face of the earth!"...but I would realize how that might end the conversation, and what little progress I might be able to make.

In the course of a year she went from believing the bible is one hundred percent literally true. Anything confusing was simply because of translation errors or human inability to understand the nature of "God", but it was all literal regardless. To now, where she doesn't believe Noah's ark happened, or that there really was a talking snake or donkey, or that they was a literal creation, with a first man and woman, or that the earth is only a few thousands of years old, but rather accepts that the earth is very old, (I don't think she yet has her mind wrapped around the numbers, but she gets it) accepts evolution, including human evolution (that was a hard one, and am still working on the details with her, because she still only lets human evolution go back so far) she now believes most of the stories in the bible are just morality stories, not intended as actual events that actually happened. She is now fighting to stop a Christian after school program in her school, and is against teaching creationism in school (though I doubt she's at the point that she would bother to do anything about it).

I consider had I told her, over those many MANY times I've wanted to, that she's a complete moron and has the intelligence of a gnat, I never would have made any of this progress with her. And she has kids that she's raising that could either go out and continue to infect the rest of the population with their mother's nonsense, or, now, go out there with a great deal of that nonsense tempered.

For me personally, that is why I take that approach. But I get being abrasive. I has it's place for sure.

I can see where success has its place when you're seeking to help christians open their minds to other ways of thinking. I get that.
However
I also at times have issues with Atheists who seek to "SAVE" christians from themselves due to that superiority they float on; that smartness; that "rightness". For I see no difference between christians trying to *save* and softly, gently salesmanship of Non-Religion.

Not saying that's what YOU did........so this isn't personal. Just taking the opportunity to bring up that salesmanship is salesmanship.......and yes honey draws more flies than vinegar. But what would the world be like coated in honey and no vinegar?

(goes off to eat pretzels for their salt content alone)

22-11-2013, 11:10 AM
(22-11-2013 11:03 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:35 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Why not?

(3) Over time eloquence has become equal to level of intelligence and I call Bullshit on that. That's a societal issue and not any evidence of personal intelligence. In fact, I've known some pretty smart cookies in my day that Curse like Sailors because they are sick and tired of reading or running into stupid day in and day out. Also, I'd like to confirm that this site doesn't do that *Gang* opinion thing. I'm all for friends defending one another BUT..... I hope if One friend takes exception to someone's style that other *friends* don't chime in for the sake of chiming in. I DO expect high intelligence and choices from atheists. (I could be wrong about doing that lol people are people)

just sayin............
You can say whatever the fuck you want here but be prepared to defend your shit, criticisms is our life's blood, nothing is safeBig Grin

*sigh of relief*

Nice!Bowing

22-11-2013, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2013 11:27 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
(22-11-2013 11:07 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I can see where success has its place when you're seeking to help christians open their minds to other ways of thinking. I get that.
However
I also at times have issues with Atheists who seek to "SAVE" christians from themselves due to that superiority they float on; that smartness; that "rightness". For I see no difference between christians trying to *save* and softly, gently salesmanship of Non-Religion.

Not saying that's what YOU did........so this isn't personal. Just taking the opportunity to bring up that salesmanship is salesmanship.......and yes honey draws more flies than vinegar. But what would the world be like coated in honey and no vinegar?

Oh believe me, I was not gentle with her, or went easy on her beliefs. I gaged it by the point that she would storm out of the room, slamming doors behind her, and then I'd decide, this is the line right here, I need to skate right on this line.

Believe me, there were some ugly arguments. It's out of those that made me want to tell her just how fucking dumb she is. She was uncomfortable a lot, especially when I'd tell her what her bible said, and what a dick her "God" was, and I would say "your God is a dick" directly to her. Not all day long, every day, but I didn't shy away from it, when it was necessary to make the point.

But I gaged her discomfort. Her discomfort was evidence that she was struggling with her beliefs. If she confronted me on my "beliefs" in science, I would not become angry or slam doors, because I have proof and reason on my side, and allow for changes in my views with new evidence. She became uncomfortable because she was dealing with something difficult, and if I pushed to far past the mark she would just shut off. She shut off a few times, which also showed me the line to skate, but that's my point, I'd always read the person I'm dealing with. If the person is just an asshole dick who is simply using the bible to beat up on others, and could careless about being a good person or what the bible really says, then fuck them, gloves off.

But I gage it by the individual. There is a threshold for what they can handle. Some you don't really even need to approach that threshold, others you many need to break it down. Just depends.

22-11-2013, 11:30 AM
(22-11-2013 11:07 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:57 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  By "You don't want to be insulting" I actually meant "me" or "I" in this particular case. I think they are insulted simply because we don't believe in their "god", so to some degree I don't think it really matters what we say. They will be insulted. I just try to draw out the insult long enough to try to effect some change.

In the course of a year she went from believing the bible is one hundred percent literally true. Anything confusing was simply because of translation errors or human inability to understand the nature of "God", but it was all literal regardless. To now, where she doesn't believe Noah's ark happened, or that there really was a talking snake or donkey, or that they was a literal creation, with a first man and woman, or that the earth is only a few thousands of years old, but rather accepts that the earth is very old, (I don't think she yet has her mind wrapped around the numbers, but she gets it) accepts evolution, including human evolution (that was a hard one, and am still working on the details with her, because she still only lets human evolution go back so far) she now believes most of the stories in the bible are just morality stories, not intended as actual events that actually happened. She is now fighting to stop a Christian after school program in her school, and is against teaching creationism in school (though I doubt she's at the point that she would bother to do anything about it).

I can see where success has its place when you're seeking to help christians open their minds to other ways of thinking. I get that.
However

This is a silly story but I had great success drawing tons of flies with vinigar. I got a small bowl of vinigar with hundred dead flies to prove itSmile
I like the story of the sun and the wind, that makes more sense when your trying to to have a formal debate with folks.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
22-11-2013, 11:33 AM
[Image: Never-be-a-spectator-of-unfairness-or-st...tchens.jpg]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 5 users Like sporehux's post
22-11-2013, 11:57 AM
In many ways I agree with the sentiments of the original poster on this thread.

Personally, despite being an atheist, I rarely take a militant stance against theists when they come to this forum. I have always believed that a more cordial and respectful dialogue is far more effective when communicating with theists because, for the most part, they themselves are cordial and respectful.

Therefore, I believe it can come as quite a shock to many theists to be viciously verbally attacked here insomuch as they either go hard-core defensive, or just leave.

Personally, I have much pity for theists. Their minds have been subjected to outlandish religious beliefs insomuch as that their ability to employ rational thought has been greatly impaired. I view them as victims who need help.

Sure, we can ridicule them, but that does nothing towards leading them out of the abyss of utter darkness and into the enlightenment gained by entering the realm of reason.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 4 users Like Free's post