Stupid Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 10:52 PM
RE: Stupid Atheist
(22-11-2013 11:07 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  .......and yes honey draws more flies than vinegar. But what would the world be like coated in honey and no vinegar?

But NOTHING attracts flies like shit does....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
22-11-2013, 11:50 PM
(22-11-2013 07:14 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Calling all theist stupid in your argument is not going to bring down that wall in between us and get the intellectual debate started but rather going to cause a huge push back in the other direction which usually leads to a lot of yelling and such. So next time you find yourself trying to get your point across just know that people can disagree with you and you still can respect them. In doing so people are more likely to listen to what you have to say and really think about it. Of course it won't always go this way or maybe never but I'm sure that off to themselves their going to think back on your well researched and calm argument in a more respectful light.

I think the mode of argument you should adopt in any confrontation depends on the goals you and your opponent have.

If you want to inspire an attitude of acceptance in the other person then a calm patient mentality is necessary. Anything that can be taken as a personal attack cuts them off from your words and puts their whole system into a state of rejection. So much so that it can be physically manifested in clinched muscles or sour body language. Once that happens you have little chance of getting them to see things from your point of view. Saying things like "I'm not sure, I may be wrong, but it appears to me ..." can inspire them to reciprocate that mentality.

If your goal is to simply win an argument you don't need to take thought of your opponents feelings. Shooting their argument full of holes or pointing out where their ideas are absurd are both powerful styles of argument. You may win, you may convince the audience, but you will never get that persons good will. Obviously some issues warrant this style but it is not a blunt hammer to be tossed about.

'A Man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.' ― Benjamin Franklin

Then again, if you are just trying to live your life just be yourself. These are just principles I've picked up to carry my point. Nobody says you have to put up with nonsense especially when it is spewed by people who are willingly ignorant. You can't fix stupid.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Sorry bout all the quotes but I leiks them Drooling

It is better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
23-11-2013, 01:28 PM
(22-11-2013 04:49 PM)Impulse Wrote:  No, they don't feel badly at all.
Yes they do.. they feel bad when they are forced to accept that humans don't have souls and humans aren't special and won't live in a fluffy place after they die.

They WANT To feel special,they want something that gives them false delusion of not facing the actual reality.
Quote:in their world, "God works in mysterious ways" somehow makes sense.
No it doesn't.. they are purely ignorant..
This movie comes to mind

They will do just about anything to defend their beliefs because that belief makes them feel better and gives them a false illusion of a non-existence wonderland and when we try to question that they feel offended because its like stealing their wonderland from them.
24-11-2013, 08:37 AM
I'd like someone to tackle what I said couple pages back........

""I can see where success has its place when you're seeking to help christians open their minds to other ways of thinking. I get that.
However
I also at times have issues with Atheists who seek to "SAVE" christians from themselves due to that superiority they float on; that smartness; that "rightness". For I see no difference between christians trying to *save* and softly, gently salesmanship of Non-Religion.""

please......thanks

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
24-11-2013, 09:20 AM
(24-11-2013 08:37 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I'd like someone to tackle what I said couple pages back........

""I can see where success has its place when you're seeking to help christians open their minds to other ways of thinking. I get that.
However
I also at times have issues with Atheists who seek to "SAVE" christians from themselves due to that superiority they float on; that smartness; that "rightness". For I see no difference between christians trying to *save* and softly, gently salesmanship of Non-Religion.""

please......thanks

One difference is the lack of cohesion with atheists. Meaning, if I'm stupid, I'm usually stupid alone. There may some temporary collusion with minions, but that never lasts. However, theists conflate their stupidity with divine mandate; and that kind of stupidity acquires a life of its own. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Star RE: Stupid Atheist
(24-11-2013 08:37 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I'd like someone to tackle what I said couple pages back........

However

please......thanks

She's a witch, Burn her! lol

It seems to me that the "Save the Christian" mentality is just as wrong as the "Save the non-believer" because it means that you have decided before the encounter that you are right, that you are out to teach them a thing or two, and that they are wrong.

Statistically speaking the odds are in Atheist favor that we are right. But things like quantum indeterminacy and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle have made solidly proven scientific ideas turn out to be not quite accurate. In fact that is the beauty of science to correct itself.

We should approach a conversation with the attitude that if we are wrong we should be put right. Obviously evidence is a decisive factor in any dispute or at the very least a probability argument. If the evidence proves you wrong, you should be willing to accept that you are not right.

It seems to me that the evidence and logical arguments strongly conflicts with the idea of a god and there is a shit ton of them. but if evidence comes out tomorrow that proves me wrong then I will inspect it and accept it if it holds up to scrutiny.

A little humility will save you from embarrassment in the event you are not right and not make you out to be a dick when you are right. At least that's how I see it hope that is satifactory

It is better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
24-11-2013, 09:47 AM
(24-11-2013 09:44 AM)justanatheist Wrote:  

However

please......thanks

She's a witch, Burn her! lol

It seems to me that the "Save the Christian" mentality is just as wrong as the "Save the non-believer" because it means that you have decided before the encounter that you are right, that you are out to teach them a thing or two, and that they are wrong.

Statistically speaking the odds are in Atheist favor that we are right. But things like quantum indeterminacy and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle have made solidly proven scientific ideas turn out to be not quite accurate. In fact that is the beauty of science to correct itself.

We should approach a conversation with the attitude that if we are wrong we should be put right. Obviously evidence is a decisive factor in any dispute or at the very least a probability argument. If the evidence proves you wrong, you should be willing to accept that you are not right.

It seems to me that the evidence and logical arguments strongly conflicts with the idea of a god and there is a shit ton of them. but if evidence comes out tomorrow that proves me wrong then I will inspect it and accept it if it holds up to scrutiny.

A little humility will save you from embarrassment in the event you are not right and not make you out to be a dick when you are right. At least that's how I see it hope that is satifactory

Nice. Thanks. (and thanks Cantor as well!)

ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post