Stupid or insensitive things Christians say

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Stupid or insensitive things Christians say
In the 'how could they possibly say something so stupid' category, we have this gem from a Christian in the comments story of a news article about the Georgia man who allegedly murdered his toddler by leaving him in a hot car on purpose: "And sadly his wife supports him over her dead child! Wow what a joke! This case kills me and my heart aches for this poor child yet in a way with parents like that he's probably better off. Again why I never question the good Lord work!" I could not let it go, and had to comment with "I'm sorry. Are you saying the lord meant for this child to die a painful horrible death in a hot car? Because I DO question that. It sounds like the opposite of good to me. If the parents were bad, it would make a lot more sense to find him some better parents, or turn those parents into better parents rather than kill the baby in a cruel way"

What I really wish I'd had the guts to say was:
"Yes, because if I were Omnipotent, Omnipresent, and Omniscient, and was faced with the problem of a child whose parents intended him harm, I'd totally respond by making the child die a horrible painful death. It simply wouldn't make sense to magically turn them into loving caring parents, or create some new parents for the child. This is why I'm glad I'm an atheist. I can look at a situation like this and simply be angry and astounded at what could drive a person to do this without the added stress of trying to figure out why a supposedly benevolent loving god wouldn't stop it. And no, "he needed a new little angel" doesn't fucking cut it"
AngryFacepalm
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
03-07-2014, 06:03 PM
RE: Stupid or insensitive things Christians say
And why exactly does an omnipotent god need angels, anyway? Lazy fucking cunt, he is, if you ask me. Dodgy Hobo

[+] 6 users Like Escape Artist's post
03-07-2014, 06:17 PM
I've been in a FaceBook group primarily consisting of Baptists. I've founds lots of stupid and insensitive in the last few days. One person, a Baptist pastor, took it upon himself to repeatedly misrepresent my stance numerous times (despite numerous corrections on my part), and even start two threads in the group to complain about me after saying he was done talking to me. Here is one of the two posts he made:

Pastor Chucklefuck Wrote:Question: agnostic is also defined ignorant.
If someone states they are an agnostic concerning God, are they asking for an answer to satisfy their ignorance?
Or, are they using their ignorance as a badge of honor as though they are noble for their self proclaimed admission to their lack of knowledge and any attempt to answer their purposed question is only considered a threat to their acceptable state of ignorance?
I propose in the future, if someone declares they are an ignoramus concerning the person and character of God, we should ask them if they want an answer and are willing to consider it as the answer they seek, or if they consider themselves smugly and satisfactorily confident the information they lack is to their benefit and any attempt to shed light on their darkened minds would only be a reason for an argument.
We could end quite a bit of useless exchanges just by cutting to the chase.

and my response:

Quote:I would say it’s a stance of honestly. You can’t prove or disprove a nonfalsifiable statement. If you have some non-presuppositional evidence regarding your claim, please, share it. If not, and you insist that others must take your assertions seriously, you open up the doors to ALL nonfalsifiable claims. You can’t just pick the ones you like because you like them. It’s not honest.

If you’re going to redefine terms to make your point, I can state your position is one of credulity. I propose if someone makes a nonfalsifiable claim in the future and says they believe it that we ask them if they’re simply credulous toward claims they like and aren’t interested in honestly evaluating their position. We could end quite a bit of useless exchanges just by cutting to the chase.

See? I can do that too. It doesn’t lead to good discussion; just you patting yourself on the back, convincing yourself that you’re right.
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Can we make a thread called kind things christians say, because it would take hours to go through just the insensitive part, let alone how long it would take for the stupid part.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
03-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Pastor Chucklefuck Laughat

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 3 users Like Losty's post
03-07-2014, 07:11 PM
I hate the phrases that involve something like

..."but s/hes a good christian wo/man"
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
03-07-2014, 08:56 PM
"I'll pray for you"
"Jesus loves you"

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
[+] 4 users Like DemonicLemon's post
03-07-2014, 08:59 PM
"are we going to bless this meal?"

ID RATHER YOU NOT.
[+] 3 users Like Rinpoche's post
03-07-2014, 09:07 PM
"Same design, Same designer." This phrase is just awful Dodgy

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
04-07-2014, 07:53 AM
I had a family member at a small gathering say during grace, "Thank you god for this meal and allowing all our family to be together on this day"

Ok, number one issue here: If you have to thank your god strictly because he decided to NOT be a dick and keep your family separated, I think there may be a problem.

And secondly, it's that same conceitedness that Christians have that god has his hand in their menial everyday tasks while ignoring orphans who have no family or food to eat that I think drives most Atheists nuts.

I feel like theists spend so much time praying for a better life after death, they don't fully appreciate or enjoy the one they have now.
[+] 1 user Likes nbberm2's post