Stupid or insensitive things Christians say

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2014, 08:20 AM
RE: Stupid or insensitive things Christians say
"The Bible is the good book." I've heard things around those lines, and I find it incredibly stupid.

Rant
There are simple far too few parts that I am aware of about the Bible that might even begin to remotely put on on the outer-most reaches of the title 'The Mediocre Book', as opposed to the good one: The plot is basically plagiarised from a plagiarism; the method of writing is totally inconsistent, and the format is an absolute eye-sore. The book is very obviously an amalgamation made over spaces of at least decades, leading the core characters to be incredibly inconsistent, and much of the book is painful to read not only due to poor formatting but also due to what seems to be very obvious padding; the authors seemed to enjoy adding as many pointless details as possible. As if there were actively trying to create the most boring piece of literature in existence. And to make matters worse, the parts that aren't uselessly dull are usually horrendous, with every other curve in the plot leading to at least one new river of crimson. Those few parts that are 'good messages' really don't make up for it. Not to mention the vomit-worthy pacing of the story. And in addition further to the characters often being inconsistent, most of them are down-right unlikeable to boot.. And let's not even touch on the factual errors.
That book is about as far from a 'Good' book as might ever there be.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2014, 07:41 AM
I don't get the whole need for prayer.

A couple of years ago there was a shooting involving a US Congresswoman named Gabby Giffords. In the aftermath of that, President Obama made some comments about guns that upset the people in the US who feel that guns are the answer to every question. Anyway, at work one day, I was sitting eating lunch while a couple of people were discussing this. I didn't say much, I was just listening. Anyway, at one point one guy who was particularly outraged by Obama's comments said something like "he goes on about this nonsense and doesn't take the time to offer these people the one thing they really need - prayer".

At that comment, I did perk up and asked why they needed prayer. I don't recall the exact discussion after that but it went something like this:

Me: why do they need prayer? (btw, I was not nasty about this, I asked it very innocently)
Co-worker: So God can help them through this tragedy.
Me: did God not know about it? Why would an all knowing god need to be told.
CoW: Of course he knows about it! We pray to him so he helps.
Me: So, go knows about it and has the power to do something about it but will only do so if asked?
CoW: That's right.
Me: He doesn't sound like all that great a god if those are his conditions.

At that point, the guy just got up, mumbled something about it being useless talking to me, and left. And, he was pretty angry too. He was angry enough that I was half-expecting a call from HR but that never happened (and I think I was fine if it did - he brought it up, I just asked some questions).

I don't get prayer. I mean, I don't not get it just because I'm an atheist. I don't get why religious people think it is necessary either. And, I find it a particularly insensitive thing to offer to someone who is undergoing some kind of great tragedy. If god knows and needs to be kowtowed too in order to help - and even then he may decide not to - how is that an all loving deity?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
05-07-2014, 07:44 AM
(04-07-2014 08:20 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  "The Bible is the good book." I've heard things around those lines, and I find it incredibly stupid.

Rant
There are simple far too few parts that I am aware of about the Bible that might even begin to remotely put on on the outer-most reaches of the title 'The Mediocre Book', as opposed to the good one: The plot is basically plagiarised from a plagiarism; the method of writing is totally inconsistent, and the format is an absolute eye-sore. The book is very obviously an amalgamation made over spaces of at least decades, leading the core characters to be incredibly inconsistent, and much of the book is painful to read not only due to poor formatting but also due to what seems to be very obvious padding; the authors seemed to enjoy adding as many pointless details as possible. As if there were actively trying to create the most boring piece of literature in existence. And to make matters worse, the parts that aren't uselessly dull are usually horrendous, with every other curve in the plot leading to at least one new river of crimson. Those few parts that are 'good messages' really don't make up for it. Not to mention the vomit-worthy pacing of the story. And in addition further to the characters often being inconsistent, most of them are down-right unlikeable to boot.. And let's not even touch on the factual errors.
One can only call it a 'Good Book' when read as a work of fiction.
05-07-2014, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2014 10:37 AM by CleverUsername.)
Had someone use the Santa analogy on themselves once. "I believed in Santa once, and there was no evidence for that." (Paraphrased)

I practically screamed "And Santa isn't real!".
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
07-07-2014, 06:56 AM
(03-07-2014 06:48 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Pastor Chucklefuck Laughat

So, it turns out Pastor Chucklefuck's son, Chucklefuck Jr joined in the "discussion". After asking me why I answered the questions he asked me directly, he dismissively told me "I don't have time to babble with a used to be."

As in, used to be Christian. Nice guy.
07-07-2014, 07:42 AM
(05-07-2014 07:44 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 08:20 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  "The Bible is the good book." I've heard things around those lines, and I find it incredibly stupid.

Rant

One can only call it a 'Good Book' when read as a work of fiction.

That thing is not a good book, no matter which way anybody slices it; as a work of fiction it's terrible too!

Pacing is shit; formatting is shit; the characters are one-dimensional and inconsistent; their only real consistency comes from the fact that most of them are unlikable asshats.
In the opening chapter, the opening sequence of events is repeated twice, and repeated incorrectly, giving the book two opening sequences. And the same mistake is repeated several other times in the latter-half of the book too; the 'Gospels Chapters' runs over the origin story of the latter-half protagonist and they can't agree with each other!

The book is never good! It physically can't be!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
09-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Today I am training a woman at work and we were talking when she asked me what church I go to. I told her I'm an atheist and her eyes got so big. Then she said no, no you believe in god, and I said no I'm an atheist again. Then she said but you're too good and sweet not to believe in god, science doesn't know everything, just look at thunder and lightning. I was stunned. It was really awkward. There was a bit more to it but blah. :/
[+] 1 user Likes Bailey's post
09-07-2014, 10:52 AM
(09-07-2014 10:13 AM)Bailey Wrote:  Today I am training a woman at work and we were talking when she asked me what church I go to. I told her I'm an atheist and her eyes got so big. Then she said no, no you believe in god, and I said no I'm an atheist again. Then she said but you're too good and sweet not to believe in god, science doesn't know everything, just look at thunder and lightning. I was stunned. It was really awkward. There was a bit more to it but blah. :/
What was the more bit - and do you have a future opportunity to explain how thunder and lightning ARE explained phenomena...
09-07-2014, 12:05 PM
She was just talking at me and saying that god is in me because if he wasn't I wouldn't be so nice and that he's looking out for me and also that I just needed someone to teach me about god. I told her that she has the right to believe what she wants to but I don't want it pushed on me. And yeah I'm sure there would be the opportunity to explain but I doubt it would be worth it. Also we were at work so I didn't feel it was appropriate to continue talking about it.
09-07-2014, 05:47 PM
(09-07-2014 12:05 PM)Bailey Wrote:  She was just talking at me and saying that god is in me because if he wasn't I wouldn't be so nice and that he's looking out for me and also that I just needed someone to teach me about god. I told her that she has the right to believe what she wants to but I don't want it pushed on me. And yeah I'm sure there would be the opportunity to explain but I doubt it would be worth it. Also we were at work so I didn't feel it was appropriate to continue talking about it.

Be careful... stupidity that intense HAS to be contagious.

I feel like theists spend so much time praying for a better life after death, they don't fully appreciate or enjoy the one they have now.