Stupid or insensitive things Christians say

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2014, 06:31 PM
RE: Stupid or insensitive things Christians say
(09-07-2014 10:13 AM)Bailey Wrote:  Today I am training a woman at work and we were talking when she asked me what church I go to. I told her I'm an atheist and her eyes got so big. Then she said no, no you believe in god, and I said no I'm an atheist again. Then she said but you're too good and sweet not to believe in god, science doesn't know everything, just look at thunder and lightning. I was stunned. It was really awkward. There was a bit more to it but blah. :/

Hooooly shit; I thought I knew some stupid people... Of course 'science doesn't know everything'. If it did, it'd stop! But seriously? Thunder and lightning? How stupid can you get?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
09-07-2014, 09:33 PM
(09-07-2014 06:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(09-07-2014 10:13 AM)Bailey Wrote:  Today I am training a woman at work and we were talking when she asked me what church I go to. I told her I'm an atheist and her eyes got so big. Then she said no, no you believe in god, and I said no I'm an atheist again. Then she said but you're too good and sweet not to believe in god, science doesn't know everything, just look at thunder and lightning. I was stunned. It was really awkward. There was a bit more to it but blah. :/

Hooooly shit; I thought I knew some stupid people... Of course 'science doesn't know everything'. If it did, it'd stop! But seriously? Thunder and lightning? How stupid can you get?

Shhhhhhh. Some idiot will take that as a dare.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
09-07-2014, 09:43 PM
(09-07-2014 09:33 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(09-07-2014 06:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Hooooly shit; I thought I knew some stupid people... Of course 'science doesn't know everything'. If it did, it'd stop! But seriously? Thunder and lightning? How stupid can you get?

Shhhhhhh. Some idiot will take that as a dare.

It wont count; it needs to be genuine stupidity to meet the Million No-monies Challenge.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-07-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm going through new employee orientation right now, and we were asked to state why we chose to come work at my new hospital. Most people gave short answers like 'awesome opportunities', 'to give back to the community that saved my life,' 'cutting edge research', etc. But there is always that one 'special' person - we had a lady stand up and share the most painfully awkward 7 minute testimony about prayer and her son's 3 month stay in the neonatal intensive care unit. She shook intensely, cried, had long pauses...most of the room of 200 were cringing at the spectacle. (A community volunteer had presented a beautiful slide show about a similar story already, and I cried with her - I promise I'm not heartless.) However, this crazy lady didn't attribute her son's survival to the world class health care team, she just kept pointing to the ceiling saying, "there is a god". (Don't worry, she's not providing direct patient care.)

One of the doctors I used to work with would respond to patients' exclamations of "Oh my God" and "thank you Jesus" by saying "Thanks, but you can call me Dr. ***." They didn't find it nearly as amusing as I did.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
09-07-2014, 10:08 PM
(09-07-2014 06:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

Yeah. It was pretty terrible. I actually felt embarrassed for her.
10-07-2014, 12:09 AM
(03-07-2014 05:58 PM)beeglez Wrote:  In the 'how could they possibly say something so stupid' category, we have this gem from a Christian in the comments story of a news article about the Georgia man who allegedly murdered his toddler by leaving him in a hot car on purpose: "And sadly his wife supports him over her dead child! Wow what a joke! This case kills me and my heart aches for this poor child yet in a way with parents like that he's probably better off. Again why I never question the good Lord work!" I could not let it go, and had to comment with "I'm sorry. Are you saying the lord meant for this child to die a painful horrible death in a hot car? Because I DO question that. It sounds like the opposite of good to me. If the parents were bad, it would make a lot more sense to find him some better parents, or turn those parents into better parents rather than kill the baby in a cruel way"

What I really wish I'd had the guts to say was:
"Yes, because if I were Omnipotent, Omnipresent, and Omniscient, and was faced with the problem of a child whose parents intended him harm, I'd totally respond by making the child die a horrible painful death. It simply wouldn't make sense to magically turn them into loving caring parents, or create some new parents for the child. This is why I'm glad I'm an atheist. I can look at a situation like this and simply be angry and astounded at what could drive a person to do this without the added stress of trying to figure out why a supposedly benevolent loving god wouldn't stop it. And no, "he needed a new little angel" doesn't fucking cut it"
AngryFacepalm

About three years ago the best friend of one of my daughters was murdered by her husband, who then took his own life. Between them they left behind five children...the oldest three were 10 (his twins, her son) a seven year old and a three year old. The Christians were 'consoling' the young woman's mother with their 'God needed another angel' and 'God has a plan' type crap.

How do you say that this god has a plan, and it's supposedly a good one, when two children were orphaned and three were stripped of one biological parent? Not to mention they lived primarily together and are now spit between three homes never to reside as siblings again. To me it was a sickening display of coldness to families that were devastated (and still are) all for the sake of explaining away the actions of their god as being in the best interest of those involved. If I would have had any inkling of a lean back toward religion, that would have ended it.

Her Facebook is still up and still littered with prayers and mentions of seeing her again in heaven and how people are so glad she is in heaven watching over them. It makes me angry to a degree that not much else ever has.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-07-2014, 08:53 PM
A couple of days ago, I saw a news story about a 3 year old boy with neuroblastoma. He had undergone chemotherapy and will soon be having cancer surgery. His dream is to be a sheriff's deputy, so a local sheriff deputized the kid. This act obviously made the kid's day, and he was grinning from ear to ear. Then, people in the comments section started talking about how good god is. Let's assume for a minute that none of the people involved in having the kid deputized did it because they were just nice people who wanted to make a kid who might be dying happy. Let's assume we're all wrong and there really is a god who compelled the sheriff to do that. He's still an asshole for giving the kid cancer in the first place. Angry
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
12-07-2014, 06:24 AM
I had one guy at work overhear me telling another woman I work with I'm atheist, and the next day he asked me what meats don't I eat?
Another person told me I'll believe when I'm older, just look at the trees and every morning when I wake up, that's god. >. < people are so stupid.
[+] 1 user Likes Bailey's post
12-07-2014, 08:25 AM

Haha! Ok, I would have loved to tell her that is Thor's job.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-07-2014, 10:22 AM
(12-07-2014 08:25 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

Haha! Ok, I would have loved to tell her that is Thor's job.

Haha, I wish I would have said that.